This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

How Do U Clean Gluten Off A Grill?

jasonD2

jasonD2 Experienced

I recently grilled out with my aunt and uncle and at first i was gonna cook my stuff on aluminum but i then looked at the internal temperature of the grill and it was 600 degrees...i figured at that point the grill was completely clean so i didnt use the foil and i felt fine after. im grilling at my friends pool this weekend and am less likely to trust that grill. should i just heat it up again? is there anything i can use to wipe down the grill surface? im a chemist and i know 100% alcohol removes all proteins so maybe ill just wipe it over with some rubbing alcohol

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

It has been posted here that a sustained temperature of 650F for 30 minutes will break down the proteins. I have also seen 600F posted as sufficient.

These are beyond the temperatures possible in a normal oven, although the self-clean cycle does do it.

It is the 30-minute part that causes me some concern. I preheat my gas grill before cooking, with the lid down, but not for half an hour.

kareng Grand Master

I would use some foil or maybe buy one of those grill pan things for cooking fish.

skigirlchar Newbie

i actually have a similar situation this weekend so thanks for posting this now. i need to call the host tomorrow for our pre-party reminder check for me (i'm lucky that my friends are willing to "cater" to my dietary needs.)

i think your bigger issue could/ is going to be if your food accidentally touches other people's food while cooking & the regular cooking utensils. so many people cross contaminate by using the same tongs and serving spoons in multiple dishes without paying attention.

since it's not family, and there may be others who don't know you well there i would still use foil or a dedicated grill pan (like the fish one mentioned or a cedar plank) and your own tongs that you keep separate that the "grill master" knows are yours.

no matter what you do, have fun!

i-geek Rookie

Since I've gotten glutened from a grill surface, I don't grill anywhere but on our home grills without aluminum foil. Not worth the risk IMO.

missceliac2010 Apprentice

Tin foil for sure! That way your food won't touch their food and you solve the "was it hot enough" and "did we burn off for long enough" problem! I got lucky...I bought my boyfriend a brand new propane grill for Father's Day. The assembly was a daunting task, so he just the chance to put it together last weekend! He proudly stated "Babe, this grill...is a GLUTEN-FREE grill!" I was touched!

But yesterday we were up at my boyfriend's family cabin. They have a propane grill that is used by everyone who goes to the cabin (we "request" time alone at the cabin if no one is using it, and also use it for large family gatherings.) I have personally seen the grill used to toast buns. He decided to put mine on tin foil just to be safe. He didn't want to waste a ton of propane getting the grill to a very high temperature for 30 minutes, considering that it's a shared grill who's propane tank is never filled on our dime.

That's my experience! Good luck!

kareng Grand Master

My hub got new racks for our gas grill, and we don't toast our buns anymore. :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

I recently grilled out with my aunt and uncle and at first i was gonna cook my stuff on aluminum but i then looked at the internal temperature of the grill and it was 600 degrees...i figured at that point the grill was completely clean so i didnt use the foil and i felt fine after. im grilling at my friends pool this weekend and am less likely to trust that grill. should i just heat it up again? is there anything i can use to wipe down the grill surface? im a chemist and i know 100% alcohol removes all proteins so maybe ill just wipe it over with some rubbing alcohol

All protocol for cleaning anything to avoid CC is plain ole' soap and water. No need to use isopropyl. However, you won't be able to do that as it's a friends grill so in cases like this, I use tin foil.

MWIXON Newbie

I am newly diagnosed so forgive me if this is a stupid question. Would bread or toast be the only issue with the cross contamination? I mean most steaks, fish, chicken are gluten free anyway right? So why would it matter if the grill was used by someone who can have gluten? We have a gas grill (but don't obviously toast any bread now) but my husband cooks his steaks (that are differently marinaded ) on one side than mine. Help please I need to understand these things.

jasonD2 Experienced

Gluten can be in marinades

StephanieGF Rookie

People also tend to grill wheat hamburger and hotdog buns, even pizzas. :huh: I have also heard of people grilling chicken with a beer can or something weird like that.

We cleaned our grill by physically cleaning it really well, then burning off the end of an almost empty propane tank that we were going to exchange soon anyway. We got the grill up to 650-700 degrees for about 40 minutes. Then with a new brush, cleaned it off again.

You can also buy new grill grates for most grills (I know you can for Webers) if that makes you more comfortable.

JoeB Apprentice

After I was diagnosed, I realized the grill was a problem. First, I heated the grill up and scrapped the grids with a wire brush. After it cooled, I cleaned the grids again using a wire wheel on my electric drill, then I used brillo. Probably overkill, but I haven't gotten sick since then. Just keep anything with gluten, especially marinades and bread, off the grill.

Archived