This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chick Fil A

Aphreal

Aphreal Contributor

I researched the places we go and Chick Fil A is one of them. I found that the waffle fries were listed as gluten-free. Ok... suspect but OMGOSH I love them. So I took a chance and failed. Within 20 minutes I was running to the bathroom. When I got home, I told my hubby I ate gluten so I was pretty useless for the rest of the day. I suggested they probably didn't have a dedicated fryer. Well, he worked at Chick fil a back in the day and told me that yes, they fry everything in the same oil.

I shoulda known better, I don't eat fries anywhere else due to this so what was I thinking? I chaulk it up to a noob move.. because well.. Im a noob to all this and still learning. Just wanted to save someone else the pain.

Tiff

gluten-free since 7-12-10

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Frances03 Enthusiast

As far as I know, Chick-Fil-A DOES have dedicated fryers. Every one I've been in does! They are very knowledgable about their gluten free options! They seem to always know what I need when I say I can't have gluten. Their salads are prepared away from anything with gluten and kept sealed and away from other foods. They even mark mine with an orange sticker at some restaurants. Their fries are never near the breaded chicken. I LOVE this restaurant, they are very informed and make an EFFORT to help those of us with Celiac. They dont add anything to their fries either. I love them.

Frances03 Enthusiast

Also, from Chick-Fil-A's website:

Chick-fil-A Waffle Potato Fries

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I had a reaction to Chick-fil-A's fries too. I was so sad that I can't eat there, at least not at my local one. Not all restaurants are the same. This is also a good lesson that we can't just order something that "should" be gluten free without asking about cc and explaining the situation. If you feel like chancing it again, go in during a slow time and ask at your local Chick-fil-a if they make everything in the same oil.

lynnelise Apprentice

Thank God both Chickfilas in my town have dedicated fryers. Even the tiny one in the mall does! I eat there at least once a week. I'm not sure I could survive without it! lol!

Dixiebell Contributor

All Chick-fil-A's have dedicated fryers. The chicken fryers are pressure fryers and cook at a different temp. They do 'bread' their own chicken and make biscuits, so it could be airborne. Almost our whole family has worked at Chick-fil-A at some time or other. My sister is in process of getting her own store. When a customer has a special request, she will personally prepare the food herself.

lizard00 Enthusiast

Yeah, it's probably a store issue with contamination or something along those lines. I eat at the one by my house waaay too much. To be honest, I don't LOVE Chick Fil A, but as far as fast food goes, it's generally a safe bet for me. And I'm pretty sensitive. I have eaten at some others though, and felt a lil funky afterwards. I'm pretty sure it's a gluten transfer thing rather than shared oil, as their website and the stores I've talked to explicitly say they use dedicated fryers for their fries.

Anyway, sorry to hear that! Accidental glutenings are always the worst! :( Feel better soon!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I have two of them that I do great at, one not so good. I have yet to try the fries.

CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

I took my daughter to one for a "regular" meal.

While there I asked about their gluten-free policies and I got a completely blank stare in return. No Thanks!

Dixiebell Contributor

Not sure what time you went to eat, but try to go when they are not at 'peak' times and maybe call before and talk to the store manager or the owner\operator of your location. When I worked in the office of a local Chick-fil-a, I had a gentleman call and ask if we had anything other than chicken for him because he was allergic to it. I had never heard of that before. And for sure never heard of celiac or gluten intolerance until last fall when my son started having 'tummy trouble'. Next time you go, drop off some information for the owner\operator and store manager, put it in an envelope with the owners name. You could help 'spread the word' about celiac and gluten intolerance. If you don't get anywhere with that, I would contact the corporate office.

ChickensDon'tClap Rookie

I used to eat at CFA at least once a week. (Shame on me!) I don't eat there as often anymore because its not as convenient to my job as it used to be. I wonder if the employees at your local restaurant weren't being careful. The only problem I had was that I asked for a grilled chicken breast and the cashier gave me fried instead, and of course I didn't notice it until I got back to work and opened the package. Other than that, I've had no problem except for the long lines!

caligirl2001 Newbie

I haven't had an issue at our local Chick-fil-a, but I did verify before ordering the first time I went there that they use a dedicated fryer for the fries. When you say your husband says they use the same oil, are you saying that at the location your husband worked at that they re-cycled the oil that they fried the breaded items in and re-used it in the fryers for the waffle fries? That would not seem right. Is it possible that the one you went to doesn't have a dedicated fryer? On their website, I remember reading to ask at each location to verify. Sorry you got sick. It is so hard to find places that are safe and it is disappointing when a place that specifically lists gluten-free items causes reactions. I can't eat chicken, so if I go there, I order a fruit cup, salad and fries. I have found that my digestive system does not like large quantities of fried food, but if I stick to small orders, I do fine.

I researched the places we go and Chick Fil A is one of them. I found that the waffle fries were listed as gluten-free. Ok... suspect but OMGOSH I love them. So I took a chance and failed. Within 20 minutes I was running to the bathroom. When I got home, I told my hubby I ate gluten so I was pretty useless for the rest of the day. I suggested they probably didn't have a dedicated fryer. Well, he worked at Chick fil a back in the day and told me that yes, they fry everything in the same oil.

I shoulda known better, I don't eat fries anywhere else due to this so what was I thinking? I chaulk it up to a noob move.. because well.. Im a noob to all this and still learning. Just wanted to save someone else the pain.

Tiff

gluten-free since 7-12-10

Since I am new to having celiac and know I am very sensitive to CC, I get the grilled garden salad with FF honey mustard dressing. I have eaten at 4 Chic Fil A's. I had three that were great and one not so great. I am too scared to try the fries right now. Has anyone tried the carrot salad or anything else?

Aphreal Contributor

I know where another one is. I might call them. When I asked about gluten issues, the cashier had no clue what I was talking about. She turned to ask a coworker... blank stare. Asked a manager... no clue. Then she came back and said yes, the dressing has gluten because it had cornsyrup. huh? I asked about the fries.

That should have been my first clue LOL, Thank you all for your responses and taking the time to let me know. This way I know what question to ask. (seperate fryer for fries)

I don't know what else it could have been. I had the fruit on salad with chargrilled chicken with vinergerette which didn't list anything suspicious. Maybe it was something I ate ealier?

does it ever get easier?

lizard00 Enthusiast

does it ever get easier?

YES!!!! :D Hang in there!

Something in their salads make me feel a little gross. I've only eaten a couple, but that strawberry one didn't sit very well with me. It was a while ago, though, so I have no idea what it was or if it just coincidental.

Dixiebell Contributor

We do need to remember that their speciality is a 'breaded chicken sandwich'. They 'bread' the chicken in the kitchen on it's own dedicated breading table. The salads are also made in the kitchen but on a different table. They also make biscuits every morning in the kitchen. So CC can happen. The fries are frozen and not opened until they put them in the fryer, those should be ok. Also be aware that the people making the sandwiches will probably be the ones to handle your chargrill breast. So I would ask if a manager could do it for you. Unfortunately, not every CFA is good. My sister is in TX 'cleaning' one up right now. She was asked to 'fix' it. We used to eat CFA every other week but since my son has been sick we stopped. He loved the nuggets.

I know where another one is. I might call them. When I asked about gluten issues, the cashier had no clue what I was talking about. She turned to ask a coworker... blank stare. Asked a manager... no clue. Then she came back and said yes, the dressing has gluten because it had cornsyrup. huh? I asked about the fries.

That should have been my first clue LOL, Thank you all for your responses and taking the time to let me know. This way I know what question to ask. (seperate fryer for fries)

I don't know what else it could have been. I had the fruit on salad with chargrilled chicken with vinergerette which didn't list anything suspicious. Maybe it was something I ate ealier?

does it ever get easier?

I always ask a manager, because the cashiers don't know. Most of the managers don't either, but I explain it to them. What I ask the managers is how the salads are prepared. I have been told at most of the Chic-fil-a's that the salads have their own seperate station away from the other products. I don't get the fruit one, because I don't know if the fruit was cut somewhere else. I had one cashier be really nice and bring me a few dressings for me to read the lable. I don't eat out much at all usually. While on vacation I did eat at two different Chic fil a's and did alright. They still put the individual courton and sunflower packs in the bag (one gave me saltines) I think it's oout of habit and I don't eat them. The sunflower seeds contain wheat.

sayccrn Rookie

I was just diagnosed and suspect my daughter has it as well, since she suffers the same I did when I was her age. Anyway, at one of our local Chick Fillet, we went every Tuesday on our way to another after school activity and every Tuesday evening she would have horrible bloating, gas, pain that would double her over. She ate the chicken and fries. (This was before I knew I was Celiac, and is NOT going to happen again!) We haven't had the chance yet to ask the dreaded gluten-free questions to the cashiers. But, I suspect we'd get that famed blank stare as well!

luvs2eat Collaborator

I've been to many CFAs and never had a problem! I have fries and their Ranch dressing to dip in. It's my only fast food pleasure... and rare, as there are none where we live!

polarbearscooby Explorer

I LOVE Chick-Fil-A!! The one near where I go to school is very good...very conscious... They make my grilled strips and fries...I only get sick if I eat the ketchup...

• 7 years later...
Tntesreau Newbie

I know this is An old post, but- CFA does not use the same fryer for fries and meat. They don’t even use the same oil. The fries and hash browns are cooked in canola oil and the chicken is cooked in Peanut oil. I worked there for several years. The fry fryers do NOTHING but fry fries and hash browns. They aren’t even next to the chicken fryers. 

Archived