19 replies to this topic

#1 Aphreal

Aphreal

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:11 PM

I researched the places we go and Chick Fil A is one of them. I found that the waffle fries were listed as gluten-free. Ok... suspect but OMGOSH I love them. So I took a chance and failed. Within 20 minutes I was running to the bathroom. When I got home, I told my hubby I ate gluten so I was pretty useless for the rest of the day. I suggested they probably didn't have a dedicated fryer. Well, he worked at Chick fil a back in the day and told me that yes, they fry everything in the same oil.

I shoulda known better, I don't eat fries anywhere else due to this so what was I thinking? I chaulk it up to a noob move.. because well.. Im a noob to all this and still learning. Just wanted to save someone else the pain.

Tiff
gluten-free since 7-12-10
Started exhibiting symptoms 1979
DXed IBS 1987
Self Dx Gluten sensitive via elimination diet July 2010
Gluten free since July 12 2010
Carb&Sugar light August 2010
experimenting with being Grain light

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Frances03

Frances03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:17 PM

As far as I know, Chick-Fil-A DOES have dedicated fryers. Every one I've been in does! They are very knowledgable about their gluten free options! They seem to always know what I need when I say I can't have gluten. Their salads are prepared away from anything with gluten and kept sealed and away from other foods. They even mark mine with an orange sticker at some restaurants. Their fries are never near the breaded chicken. I LOVE this restaurant, they are very informed and make an EFFORT to help those of us with Celiac. They dont add anything to their fries either. I love them.
41 year old homeschooling mom of 5
ttg iga 88, reference range 0-19 gliadin peptide antibody iga 105, reference range 0-31
endoscopy positive for celiac disease, hiatal hernia, major acid reflux damage

diagnosed with arthritis in my teens, thyroid disease in my 20's, epilepsy in my 20's, adult ADD in my 30's,
suffered from joint pain, migraines, seizures, 4 miscarriages, 2 years infertility, scalp rash, bloating, chronic constipation, acid reflux, weight gain, hashimoto's disease, enlarged thyroid, thyroid nodule, extreme fatigue, low vitamin D, anemia, mouth and nose sores
Started gluten-free diet 10/7/09! Never had another seizure after 10 years of epilepsy. TRUE STORY. 2 babies after going gluten-free

#3 Frances03

Frances03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:32 PM

Also, from Chick-Fil-A's website:

Chick-fil-A Waffle Potato FriesŪ: (cooked in separate fryers from the chicken)Ingredients: Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, palm oil), disodium dihydrogen pyrophosphate (to promote
color retention), dextrose, peanut oil (fully refined peanut oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve
freshness and dimethylpolysiloxane, an anti-foaming agent added).
41 year old homeschooling mom of 5
ttg iga 88, reference range 0-19 gliadin peptide antibody iga 105, reference range 0-31
endoscopy positive for celiac disease, hiatal hernia, major acid reflux damage

diagnosed with arthritis in my teens, thyroid disease in my 20's, epilepsy in my 20's, adult ADD in my 30's,
suffered from joint pain, migraines, seizures, 4 miscarriages, 2 years infertility, scalp rash, bloating, chronic constipation, acid reflux, weight gain, hashimoto's disease, enlarged thyroid, thyroid nodule, extreme fatigue, low vitamin D, anemia, mouth and nose sores
Started gluten-free diet 10/7/09! Never had another seizure after 10 years of epilepsy. TRUE STORY. 2 babies after going gluten-free

#4 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:53 AM

I had a reaction to Chick-fil-A's fries too. I was so sad that I can't eat there, at least not at my local one. Not all restaurants are the same. This is also a good lesson that we can't just order something that "should" be gluten free without asking about cc and explaining the situation. If you feel like chancing it again, go in during a slow time and ask at your local Chick-fil-a if they make everything in the same oil.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#5 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:25 AM

Thank God both Chickfilas in my town have dedicated fryers. Even the tiny one in the mall does! I eat there at least once a week. I'm not sure I could survive without it! lol!

#6 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:10 AM

All Chick-fil-A's have dedicated fryers. The chicken fryers are pressure fryers and cook at a different temp. They do 'bread' their own chicken and make biscuits, so it could be airborne. Almost our whole family has worked at Chick-fil-A at some time or other. My sister is in process of getting her own store. When a customer has a special request, she will personally prepare the food herself.
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

#7 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:49 PM

Yeah, it's probably a store issue with contamination or something along those lines. I eat at the one by my house waaay too much. To be honest, I don't LOVE Chick Fil A, but as far as fast food goes, it's generally a safe bet for me. And I'm pretty sensitive. I have eaten at some others though, and felt a lil funky afterwards. I'm pretty sure it's a gluten transfer thing rather than shared oil, as their website and the stores I've talked to explicitly say they use dedicated fryers for their fries.

Anyway, sorry to hear that! Accidental glutenings are always the worst! :( Feel better soon!
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#8 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:14 PM

I have two of them that I do great at, one not so good. I have yet to try the fries.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#9 CeliacAndCfsCrusader

CeliacAndCfsCrusader

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:23 PM

I took my daughter to one for a "regular" meal.

While there I asked about their gluten-free policies and I got a completely blank stare in return. No Thanks!

#10 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:36 AM

Not sure what time you went to eat, but try to go when they are not at 'peak' times and maybe call before and talk to the store manager or the owner\operator of your location. When I worked in the office of a local Chick-fil-a, I had a gentleman call and ask if we had anything other than chicken for him because he was allergic to it. I had never heard of that before. And for sure never heard of celiac or gluten intolerance until last fall when my son started having 'tummy trouble'. Next time you go, drop off some information for the owner\operator and store manager, put it in an envelope with the owners name. You could help 'spread the word' about celiac and gluten intolerance. If you don't get anywhere with that, I would contact the corporate office.
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

#11 ChickensDon'tClap

ChickensDon'tClap

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:29 PM

I used to eat at CFA at least once a week. (Shame on me!) I don't eat there as often anymore because its not as convenient to my job as it used to be. I wonder if the employees at your local restaurant weren't being careful. The only problem I had was that I asked for a grilled chicken breast and the cashier gave me fried instead, and of course I didn't notice it until I got back to work and opened the package. Other than that, I've had no problem except for the long lines!
Valerie

#12 caligirl2001

caligirl2001

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:19 AM

I haven't had an issue at our local Chick-fil-a, but I did verify before ordering the first time I went there that they use a dedicated fryer for the fries. When you say your husband says they use the same oil, are you saying that at the location your husband worked at that they re-cycled the oil that they fried the breaded items in and re-used it in the fryers for the waffle fries? That would not seem right. Is it possible that the one you went to doesn't have a dedicated fryer? On their website, I remember reading to ask at each location to verify. Sorry you got sick. It is so hard to find places that are safe and it is disappointing when a place that specifically lists gluten-free items causes reactions. I can't eat chicken, so if I go there, I order a fruit cup, salad and fries. I have found that my digestive system does not like large quantities of fried food, but if I stick to small orders, I do fine.
Positive response to elimination diet November 2008
Gluten free since November 2008
Dairy free since March 2011

#13 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:28 PM

I researched the places we go and Chick Fil A is one of them. I found that the waffle fries were listed as gluten-free. Ok... suspect but OMGOSH I love them. So I took a chance and failed. Within 20 minutes I was running to the bathroom. When I got home, I told my hubby I ate gluten so I was pretty useless for the rest of the day. I suggested they probably didn't have a dedicated fryer. Well, he worked at Chick fil a back in the day and told me that yes, they fry everything in the same oil.

I shoulda known better, I don't eat fries anywhere else due to this so what was I thinking? I chaulk it up to a noob move.. because well.. Im a noob to all this and still learning. Just wanted to save someone else the pain.

Tiff
gluten-free since 7-12-10

Since I am new to having celiac and know I am very sensitive to CC, I get the grilled garden salad with FF honey mustard dressing. I have eaten at 4 Chic Fil A's. I had three that were great and one not so great. I am too scared to try the fries right now. Has anyone tried the carrot salad or anything else?
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#14 Aphreal

Aphreal

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:16 PM

I know where another one is. I might call them. When I asked about gluten issues, the cashier had no clue what I was talking about. She turned to ask a coworker... blank stare. Asked a manager... no clue. Then she came back and said yes, the dressing has gluten because it had cornsyrup. huh? I asked about the fries.

That should have been my first clue LOL, Thank you all for your responses and taking the time to let me know. This way I know what question to ask. (seperate fryer for fries)

I don't know what else it could have been. I had the fruit on salad with chargrilled chicken with vinergerette which didn't list anything suspicious. Maybe it was something I ate ealier?

does it ever get easier?
Started exhibiting symptoms 1979
DXed IBS 1987
Self Dx Gluten sensitive via elimination diet July 2010
Gluten free since July 12 2010
Carb&Sugar light August 2010
experimenting with being Grain light

#15 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:49 PM

does it ever get easier?

YES!!!! :D Hang in there!

Something in their salads make me feel a little gross. I've only eaten a couple, but that strawberry one didn't sit very well with me. It was a while ago, though, so I have no idea what it was or if it just coincidental.
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: