Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

I Just Snapped!

32 posts in this topic

My son is going through something similar. Even if he likes a food, as soon as he finds out it's gluten free he throws it down and says "this is gross....I'm never going to be able to eat anything yummy ever again".

He was just diagnosed 2 weeks ago and he's 6. I think it's the greiving process and being just plain overwhelmed.

Try buying gluten free food and just feeding it to her without making a big deal about it. I find that works better with my son. If she likes it, you can do your happy dance in another room so as to not draw attention :D . If she doesn't then so be it. I think it's the hyper-focus on gluten that sometimes gets the kids down.

Good luck!

Ads by Google:

Would she try a non-dairy yogurt? I didn't see soy in her allergen list, and Silk makes really good soy yogurts. So Delicious also makes a line of coconut milk yogurts that are very good. Those two brands were my go-to when my gut was healing from celiac damage and I couldn't eat any dairy. You don't even have to tell her that you've bought it because you think she's reacting to the dairy (at this point it would probably make her refuse to try the new stuff). Maybe you could just buy a few containers and say that you heard these were good and were curious to try them.

I don't allow her to have soy. She outgrew a soy allergy so technically can have it twice a week. I know she is getting it in the form of soybean oil in some restaurants and she does eat some things with soy lecithin. But I won't allow any whole soybeans, soy milk or soy protein. The reason? I used to eat a lot of soy and developed a thyroid problem. When I stopped consuming the soy, my thyroid problem went away. Thyroid problems run on both sides of the family.

She does eat coconut yogurt sometimes. But recently had told me she was sick of it. However I do not thing it contains the lactobacillus like dairy based yogurt does and that was the reason she was supposed to eat it.

My son is going through something similar. Even if he likes a food, as soon as he finds out it's gluten free he throws it down and says "this is gross....I'm never going to be able to eat anything yummy ever again".

He was just diagnosed 2 weeks ago and he's 6. I think it's the greiving process and being just plain overwhelmed.

Try buying gluten free food and just feeding it to her without making a big deal about it. I find that works better with my son. If she likes it, you can do your happy dance in another room so as to not draw attention :D . If she doesn't then so be it. I think it's the hyper-focus on gluten that sometimes gets the kids down.

Good luck!

I was just annoyed at the cost of it all!

Some years ago, we went through something similar. Because she has outgrown dairy and egg allergies, she can only have these things twice a week. That pretty much limits the breads she can eat.

I tried making them on my own. Mostly they didn't work. I got one perfect loaf from a mix. But the next two times I tried it? Yuck. So she was eating Ener-G brand. But we can only get a few kinds in the stores here. And she doesn't really like that stuff.

So I ordered all these breads in 2 slice packs from them. She said she hated to corn loaf. So I never ordered it again. But once it was offered as a freebie. A whole loaf. I told her if she didn't want it, just to throw it out. No big deal. But this time she wanted it. And she liked it!

But then there was some other kind. Flax loaf. She was afraid to eat it because it smelled like my bread. I was eating a flax bread at the time but it did have some wheat in it. Finally convinced that it was safe, she tried it and said she loved it. Begged for more. So I ordered a ton of it. Only to find out that now she hated it and wouldn't eat it.

I would be really happy if she would just give up bread altogether! But she won't. She says all the other kids take sandwiches in their lunch and only sandwiches, or Lunchables. There is one kind of Lunchable she can eat. The nachos. But she can only have those twice a week and the one day she picked to have them is Sunday. She won't take a thermos of anything. I can't say that I blame her because her backpack is heavy enough the way it is.

When I was her age, I mainly took trail mix with me. I even made my own to make sure it only contained what I liked. But she hates trailmix. Doesn't like the nuts she isn't allergic to. Doesn't like any seeds, or dried fruit or coconut. Grrrr.

When I started reading your story, I thought to myself, "I'll bet she's around 12." How well I remember that age w/ my oldest. She was once hysterical and yelling at me and I said, "What's the MATTER w/ you??" And she fell into my arms sobbing, "I DON'T KNOWWWWWWWWWW." It's a FUN age.

All that said... I've often thought that being diagnosed at a very early age would have been easier for me. I had 30+ years of cooking and baking (I loved to bake) under my belt when diagnosed. I've yet to taste/bake a chocolate chip cookie that remotely compares to the onces I made for years. I don't bake much anymore, 'cept for the weekly bread loaf. gluten-free bread isn't bad, but it sure ain't the challah bread or crusty country loaves I used to bake! If I'd always been gluten-free, I'd have had nothing to compare.

There has been som more recent research talking about the adolescent brain (and from my experience with my 3 younger sisters and my niece, adolescence in girls really seems to start at 11)

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/health-matters/201006/the-teenagers-brain

One of the points that, I feel, is most interesting is the part about the pre-frontal cortex:

"Undeveloped Brain Territory

One part of the teen brain that is undeveloped until the mid-twenties lies in that second scoop of the ice cream cone. This is called the pre-frontal cortex (PFC). This part of the brain, when fully developed, is in a constant dialogue with the emotional brain (the limbic brain). In the adult, the PFC and the limbic brain are in balance, each one inhibiting the other. So when an adult has an emotional reaction to being cut off by a speeding car, the PFC part of the brain says-"Hey, stop, and think about your desire to go speeding after that car. You might get a ticket, you might cause an accident, your insurance rates will go up". For the teen, however, the PFC is undeveloped, and the emotional brain (including the amygdala mentioned above) rules the moment, until the PFC is developed in the mid-twenties. The teen thinks: "This is going to be exciting!"-if he thinks at all."

I can't say there aren't additional underlying issues you have to deal with, but this certainly helps to explain why "reasonableness" truly seems to be thrown out the window during this age until sometime in their early 20's. As I said to my husband when his younger sister was about 11 1/2 and he had his first blow up with her (there's a 20 year difference between them), this happens to all girls and can start as early as 11 and ends as late as 25, and during that time (but not necessarily all of that time) we're just not going to like them all that much. But when it's all done we'll probably (hopefully????) like them again.

I hope you don't mind if I put in my two cents. My daughter is 19, and just moved out. It sounds like she isn't comfortable with herself. If you don't do this already, try to give her a compliment every day. When she making negitive comments, I know it is hard to do, just don't respond, change the subject. This has been the best tool I have ever used.

Thanks! I will try that.

There has been som more recent research talking about the adolescent brain (and from my experience with my 3 younger sisters and my niece, adolescence in girls really seems to start at 11)

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/health-matters/201006/the-teenagers-brain

One of the points that, I feel, is most interesting is the part about the pre-frontal cortex:

"Undeveloped Brain Territory

One part of the teen brain that is undeveloped until the mid-twenties lies in that second scoop of the ice cream cone. This is called the pre-frontal cortex (PFC). This part of the brain, when fully developed, is in a constant dialogue with the emotional brain (the limbic brain). In the adult, the PFC and the limbic brain are in balance, each one inhibiting the other. So when an adult has an emotional reaction to being cut off by a speeding car, the PFC part of the brain says-"Hey, stop, and think about your desire to go speeding after that car. You might get a ticket, you might cause an accident, your insurance rates will go up". For the teen, however, the PFC is undeveloped, and the emotional brain (including the amygdala mentioned above) rules the moment, until the PFC is developed in the mid-twenties. The teen thinks: "This is going to be exciting!"-if he thinks at all."

I can't say there aren't additional underlying issues you have to deal with, but this certainly helps to explain why "reasonableness" truly seems to be thrown out the window during this age until sometime in their early 20's. As I said to my husband when his younger sister was about 11 1/2 and he had his first blow up with her (there's a 20 year difference between them), this happens to all girls and can start as early as 11 and ends as late as 25, and during that time (but not necessarily all of that time) we're just not going to like them all that much. But when it's all done we'll probably (hopefully????) like them again.

Interesting! I know of one adult with ADHD who would go after that speeding car to try to teach the driver a lesson. He can't seem to think things through to come to the decision to do the right thing.