25 replies to this topic

#1 cblack

cblack

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:55 AM

Hi all! I've been gluten free for 4 months and doing extremely well on the diet. My husband and I love to eat out, but I'm not sure about sushi. Can you tell me if it is safe to eat sushi?? I know the imitation crab has wheat in it, so I would need to avoid that and also bring my own gluten free soy sauce, but other than that, what do I need to know? Is the sticky rice safe? Are there other ingredients I need to look out for? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:05 AM

I avoid ANYTHING that has sauce. Stuff like eel is marinated in sauce, and the egg has soy sauce in it as well. While some folks here have noted they've seen sticky rice with gluten (in the rice vinegar? mirin? I don't know how it's getting in there), I've never seen it myself. Additionally, some folks have noted that they have gotten wasabi that has wheat in it. I've seen commercially available wasabi with wheat in it at the store, but haven't had a problem at the sushi place I go to. I'd ask, or just bring your own.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:24 AM

I saw a medical program recently where a woman and her husband ate some sushi in Africa. They both ended up with worms crawling around under their skin. Personally I don't understand why people think eating raw meat is ok. Of course, animals do it but they get sick from all kinds of parasites too.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#4 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:40 AM

I saw a medical program recently where a woman and her husband ate some sushi in Africa. They both ended up with worms crawling around under their skin. Personally I don't understand why people think eating raw meat is ok. Of course, animals do it but they get sick from all kinds of parasites too.

In the US, the FDA requires fish sold for sushi to be deep-frozen to kill problematic parasites. If you are eating fish that has not been previously frozen, it is wise to be sure the sushi chef is properly trained.

As far as gluten, as you know there is gluten in the fake crab meat. Ponzo and soy sauce both contain gluten. Roe are often marinated in a mix containing soy sauce so you need to avoid them. The sauce that is used on cooked sushi like uni is a problem, as is most tempura batter in the US so you have to avoid rolls with tempura. Wasabi is an issue too. Real wasabi is fine, but cheaper sushi joints sometimes serve fake wasabi that can have flour in the paste.

Safe things are the sushi rice, seaweed, plain fish, any veggies used in the rolls, and the various sprouts and picked vegetables used to flavor sushi. I generally order simple foods like edamame, tuna rolls and pieces of nigiri and I always bring my own soy sauce.

#5 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:22 PM

In the US, the FDA requires fish sold for sushi to be deep-frozen to kill problematic parasites. If you are eating fish that has not been previously frozen, it is wise to be sure the sushi chef is properly trained.

Hmmm, freezing could help I guess. But it is still not getting rid of the yuck factor. Ya all can keep your sushi and those other raw meats, steak tartar etc.. (I know not all sushi is raw fish ). Rice and veggies are a-OK.

Soy almost always has gluten, unless you buy Tamari gluten-free soy sauce. But why eat soy anyway. Another yuck factor food. :P
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#6 Tina B

Tina B

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

Hi all! I've been gluten free for 4 months and doing extremely well on the diet. My husband and I love to eat out, but I'm not sure about sushi. Can you tell me if it is safe to eat sushi?? I know the imitation crab has wheat in it, so I would need to avoid that and also bring my own gluten free soy sauce, but other than that, what do I need to know? Is the sticky rice safe? Are there other ingredients I need to look out for? Thanks!

Regular sushi is fine but you may need to bring your own wheat free soy sauce. LaChoy is wheat free.
Gluten free since 1990.
Diagnosed by duodenal biopsy.

You don't stop skiing because you get old. You get old because you stop skiing :-)

#7 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:07 PM

Hmmm, freezing could help I guess. But it is still not getting rid of the yuck factor. Ya all can keep your sushi and those other raw meats, steak tartar etc.. (I know not all sushi is raw fish ). Rice and veggies are a-OK.

Soy almost always has gluten, unless you buy Tamari gluten-free soy sauce. But why eat soy anyway. Another yuck factor food. :P

It, like many other things, is only a yuck factor for many folks in the US because they weren't exposed to it or were told it was yucky. There are a number of cultures that partake in food cooked differently than we do. (Ceviche anyone?)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#8 missceliac2010

missceliac2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:42 PM

I love sushi! And other than the things the others mentioned, you should be able to eat it just fine. As far as "ethnic food" is concerned...I live in California. The people from Mexico eat something called "Menudo", which is cow intestines, cow stomach and other "innerds" and such. Talk about EWww! LOL. But like others have said, to each his own. I won't eat it, but I dated a guy once who loved it, and so did his 5 year old daughter!

:) Celebrate Diversity!

It, like many other things, is only a yuck factor for many folks in the US because they weren't exposed to it or were told it was yucky. There are a number of cultures that partake in food cooked differently than we do. (Ceviche anyone?)

Heather C.
July, 2010: Diagnosed with Celiac Disease via elimination diet and strong Lactose Intolerance via blood work. My symptoms of glutening include 1. extreme abdominal distention, 2. severe abdominal pain, 3. gas, 4. mood swings/generally negative and unpleasant to be around!

#9 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:54 PM

Much depends on the place you go to and the quality of what they use. As mentioned, wasabi can be dangerous.
Most wasabi made from powder has wheat starch. The vast majority of restaurants outside of Japan use a foodservice grade of S&B powdered wasabi which does contain gluten. The few places that have nama or fresh wasabi or tubed wasabi chances are its safe.

YOu also have to be careful of the nori or seaweed. Many of the seaweeds that came from Korea are processed in a soy sauce type a based which contains wheat.

Plain fish with or without rice with the gari (ginger) and your soy sauce is fine
good luck

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:09 PM

Thanks for sharing that tip about the Nori. I didn't know it could contain soy sauce/gluten. So far I've been OK eating it but I think I'll switch to sashimi and rice.

I found that wonderful gluten-free San-J Tamari sauce in packets the other day so now I just have to remember to bring it.

#11 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:58 AM

Never saw the san-j in packs yet -- guess they didnt make it to Hawaii. Although the company is Japanese they make this in Kentucky if I remember right. We just got another 6 or 7 gluten-free sauce they make in at my local store. The president of San-J in Japan is really a nice guy.

Most Nori is ok

If where you go the chef is Japanese and not Chinese or Korean you just make sure he/she knows that you have a ko-mugee allergee (wheat flour allergy) In some places in Japan flour is called ko-mugi but in many others and with old timers its called merikenko meaning american powder!

Ken

Thanks for sharing that tip about the Nori. I didn't know it could contain soy sauce/gluten. So far I've been OK eating it but I think I'll switch to sashimi and rice.

I found that wonderful gluten-free San-J Tamari sauce in packets the other day so now I just have to remember to bring it.

Japanese proverb

#12 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:36 AM

Another thread with a claim that S&B wasabi has wheat flour. Yet S&B's website lists no wheat flour in any of its wasabi. Does anybody know otherwise for certain?

http://www.sb-worldw...cts/powder.html

ALSO, does anybody know of a wasabi that DEFINITELY has gluten? Please tell us the brand.

thanks
richard

#13 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:44 AM

I've seen it list wheat on the side of the box-- I don't have it here for obvious reasons but it has said that as recently as last May when I showed the box at the store to another celiac. S&B "Oriental" mustard and curry powder is fine. The curry mix is not.
ken

Another thread with a claim that S&B wasabi has wheat flour. Yet S&B's website lists no wheat flour in any of its wasabi. Does anybody know otherwise for certain?

http://www.sb-worldw...cts/powder.html

ALSO, does anybody know of a wasabi that DEFINITELY has gluten? Please tell us the brand.

thanks
richard

Japanese proverb

#14 Kntrygrl

Kntrygrl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:37 AM

Hi. I am new to gluten allergies and to this forum. Thanks for your post. I love sushi and learned that the immitation crab meat had gluten but wondered why some of the sushi rolls still made me sick. I thought it was the seaweed since I had seen some gluten free seaweed wraps in a store, but since I don't know how to make my own sushi I did not buy them. Should I just stay away from the rolls in a restaurant? I like Ebi but really loves the rolls too.
"Aspire to inspire before you expire"

Gluten free since August 2011
Misdiagnosed with IBS for 15 years
vitamin deficiencies, female problems, neuropathy of both arms, history of migraines, insomniac since birth of son in 1998, depression (mild), mood swings, deep joint pain/ache that would not go away, daily headaches.
Confirmed diagnosis of lymphocytic colitis by microscopic biopsy in August 2011, negative blood test for celiac disease in August 2011, however, symptoms disappeared when started gluten-free diet.

#15 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:42 AM

I have a terrible time finding rolls that don't have gluten. It's in the fake crab, tempura batter, in most of the cooked fish like eel or salmon skin, and in the sauces they tend to drizzle over them.

I order either nigiri sushi (the fish on a block of rice) or sashimi and make sure they understand that I am "allergic" to soy sauce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: