#1 glutenfr3309

glutenfr3309

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:57 AM

feta cheese is gluten free correct?

is there anything one should look out for with this particular cheese?

why i'm asking:
last night i went over to my friend's apartment for dinner. they have been VERY nice and accommodating when they have me over for meals. we had chicken stuffed with a spread (feta cheese, roasted red peppers, parsley and basil) and zucchini marinated in balsamic and topped with shredded cheese. for dessert they all had cookies but i had a rich gluten-free brownie from a bakery (i've eaten a few times before) and breyer's ice cream.

after a little while the big D hit! now, this was never a symptom for me pre-gluten-free (although i did have some stomach symptoms) but sometimes when i eat a rich meal D will happen. i'm assuming it's the richness that caused the D. i can't think of anything else from the meal that could cause this and i don't think i am super sensitive to CC. any ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

I would have to look at the ingredients to know for sure. A spread could have something added that is gluten derived. I think your reaction however is more likely from all the dairy you had. Many of us have trouble with dairy after going gluten free. You had cheese stuffed chicken topped with cheese and ice cream for dessert. My body would produce D from a meal like that as well.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#3 StephanieGF

StephanieGF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:20 PM

I don't eat feta, but I don't think that was the problem. Two things come to mind, it was either just a rich meal and too much cheese or something like that OR it was CC in the kitchen.

You said that it was a friend that made this. They truly sound like great friends to go to such an effort. The problem is that even the most well meaning and best intentioned people can easily CC food in a kitchen that is not gluten free or if they are not accustomed to dealing with CC issues. I have seen this many times while making food in a friend or family members kitchen. They will just for a second set a piece of bread on the the gluten-free cutting board or pass a piece of bread over the gluten-free food. They are not even thinking about it as toxic or a problem, it just happens. Usually it is not conscious. Also, they could have used a condiment, sauce or broth that they thought was gluten-free and was not. It is easy to do accidentally. Lastly, it could have been from the pots, pans, cutting boards, roasting pan, etc. I hope you feel better soon.

ETA: Do you know if you were the only one sick in some way? Could be the old fashion under temp chicken? I have been sickened (long ago) by stuffed chicken because the inner stuffing sometimes does not get hot enough. :(

#4 i-geek

i-geek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:00 PM

Make sure the feta wasn't crumbled and mixed with wheat starch to prevent clumping. I doubt it would be, but you never know. I always check to make sure crumbled feta is mixed with corn starch or just buy it in block form and crumble it myself. I've never had a problem with it. Otherwise, rich food and too much dairy can set me off as well. Most likely that was the culprit.

#5 glutenfr3309

glutenfr3309

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:07 PM

I don't eat feta, but I don't think that was the problem. Two things come to mind, it was either just a rich meal and too much cheese or something like that OR it was CC in the kitchen.

You said that it was a friend that made this. They truly sound like great friends to go to such an effort. The problem is that even the most well meaning and best intentioned people can easily CC food in a kitchen that is not gluten free or if they are not accustomed to dealing with CC issues. I have seen this many times while making food in a friend or family members kitchen. They will just for a second set a piece of bread on the the gluten-free cutting board or pass a piece of bread over the gluten-free food. They are not even thinking about it as toxic or a problem, it just happens. Usually it is not conscious. Also, they could have used a condiment, sauce or broth that they thought was gluten-free and was not. It is easy to do accidentally. Lastly, it could have been from the pots, pans, cutting boards, roasting pan, etc. I hope you feel better soon.

ETA: Do you know if you were the only one sick in some way? Could be the old fashion under temp chicken? I have been sickened (long ago) by stuffed chicken because the inner stuffing sometimes does not get hot enough. :(

the spread they made from whole pieces of feta. pretty sure the chicken was cooked thoroughly- they were very thin pieces, not the usual breast.

i've been eating dairy without any problems recently- i did cut it out in the very beginning and can eat ok now (using almond milk instead of regular milk though). i guess it was just the amount that i had in one sitting. i feel fine today so it went out of my system quickly.

maybe it was CC, i don't know. so far since i've been gluten-free i haven't been super sensitive to CC but i definitely avoid it and am aware of it in all possible ways that i can be.

thanks everyone!

edit to say: i've eaten at their place a couple of times and have felt fine. i didn't say anything to them because i don't want them to feel bad because they make such an effort!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: