arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Could Constipation And Bloating Be Symptoms?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tlcmel

tlcmel

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:20 PM

HI,
I'M RUNNING OUT OF OPTIONS. FIRST, I ELIMINATED MILK PRODUCTS FROM MY DIET AND I'M STILL EXHIBITING CONSTIPATION, GAS, AND BLOATING ;) . COULD A GLUTEN INTOLORANCE BE AS A RESULT OR ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF GLUTEN INTOLORANCE MORE SEVERE? :unsure: THANKS

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 01:27 AM

When I eat gluten I gain weight, get gas and bloating. The symptoms of gluten intolerance can vary widely from one person to the next. Have you eliminated all gluten from your diet?
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 05:32 AM

HI,
I'M RUNNING OUT OF OPTIONS. FIRST, I ELIMINATED MILK PRODUCTS FROM MY DIET AND I'M STILL EXHIBITING CONSTIPATION, GAS, AND BLOATING ;) . COULD A GLUTEN INTOLORANCE BE AS A RESULT OR ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF GLUTEN INTOLORANCE MORE SEVERE? :unsure: THANKS

There are over 200 symptoms associated with celiac. Each person is different and may have different symptoms. They are both symptoms that can come with it. I get constipation along with some other symptoms when I am glutened.
Have you been tested for celiac? Have you tried being off of gluten? Make sure when you test you keep on gluten.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#4 julie5914

julie5914

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 06:45 AM

These are the same symptoms I have, and I had positive blood work. Still two more weeks till I get a definitive diagnose, but I definitely think these can be symptoms.
Blood work positive
Dx with IBS 5 years ago
Dx with Celiac and gluten-free since 6/17/05

#5 uclangel422

uclangel422

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 09:48 AM

These were my symptoms also. Look to see if it happens more frequently after eating. I was bloated non-stop but it would get worse after my huge morning bowl of All Bran, man was i killing myself or what.

My symptoms did get worse over time, but that was how this whole thing got started.

#6 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 01:48 PM

Those were exactly my symptoms as well. I had positive bloodwork, and I just got a biopsy done last week. I started a Gluten free diet before getting the biopsy, so I know it will be inaccurate, but being gluten-free is the ONLY thing that has worked for me. Actually, I am on a special gluten-free diet, the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (www.breakingtheviciouscycle.com). So far, so good!
I LOVE JESUS!

#7 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 03:24 PM

UCLANGEL:
Me, too! When I told my doc about my lifelong constipation and increasing gas, bloating and intestinal pain, she labeled me 'IBS' and gave me the IBS diet sheet which suggested eating more whole grains and bran cereals. So I faithfully ate my Shredded Wheat with Bran and Lactaid Milk every morning. Little did I know that I was gluten AND CASEIN intolerant. So avoiding lactose did nothing to relieve my symptoms and following my doc's advice did everything to exacerbate my symptoms. :o I later tested positive for gluten and casein intolerance and the celiac gene through Enterolab. So I showed those test results to my doc at my next exam. She told me 'ibs' was an 'elimination' label. If docs think they have eliminated all other sources of abdominal symptoms, they give patients the 'ibs' label. Unfortunately she and most docs don't do much 'elimination' research before labeling their patients' symptoms as IBS. <_<

Although following a gluten-free/df/sf (I'm soy intolerant too) diet has eliminated most of my symptoms, I'm still paranoid about constipation which can happen if I accidentally consume dairy (more so than gluten). Before I was diagnosed with celiac disease, my longterm constipation caused painful hemorrhoids which necessitated even more painful hemorrhoid surgery and recovery.

Abstaining from dairy also resolved my lifelong sinus allergies and infections. All those years I was told I was allergic to plants, trees, grasses, molds, dust, etc. We even bought a special vacuum cleaner which actually collects the particles rather than blowing them back into the room. Now we're lucky if the house gets vacuumed once a month and I can BREATHE all summer long with only occasional sneezing. :D
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#8 Guest_figling_*

Guest_figling_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2005 - 05:08 PM

I'm going to be scoped next week, and I thought this conversation was interesting, because I've always thought diarrhea and wasting was indicative of celiac disease. I experience constipation whenever I eat wheat or rye, and I also gain weight. The more I eat, the worse it gets. I'm bulking up on wheat products prior to the scopes, and I'm really getting bloated!

Judy

#9 tlcmel

tlcmel

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:10 PM

Hey guys,
Thanks for all fo the replies.
I'm FINALLY getting a blood test done tomorrow and i can't wait. I'll let ya kno. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: