Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Could Constipation And Bloating Be Symptoms?

9 posts in this topic

HI,

I'M RUNNING OUT OF OPTIONS. FIRST, I ELIMINATED MILK PRODUCTS FROM MY DIET AND I'M STILL EXHIBITING CONSTIPATION, GAS, AND BLOATING ;) . COULD A GLUTEN INTOLORANCE BE AS A RESULT OR ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF GLUTEN INTOLORANCE MORE SEVERE? :unsure: THANKS

Ads by Google:

When I eat gluten I gain weight, get gas and bloating. The symptoms of gluten intolerance can vary widely from one person to the next. Have you eliminated all gluten from your diet?

HI,

I'M RUNNING OUT OF OPTIONS. FIRST, I ELIMINATED MILK PRODUCTS FROM MY DIET AND I'M STILL EXHIBITING CONSTIPATION, GAS, AND BLOATING ;) . COULD A GLUTEN INTOLORANCE BE AS A RESULT OR ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF GLUTEN INTOLORANCE MORE SEVERE? :unsure: THANKS

There are over 200 symptoms associated with celiac. Each person is different and may have different symptoms. They are both symptoms that can come with it. I get constipation along with some other symptoms when I am glutened.

Have you been tested for celiac? Have you tried being off of gluten? Make sure when you test you keep on gluten.

These are the same symptoms I have, and I had positive blood work. Still two more weeks till I get a definitive diagnose, but I definitely think these can be symptoms.

These were my symptoms also. Look to see if it happens more frequently after eating. I was bloated non-stop but it would get worse after my huge morning bowl of All Bran, man was i killing myself or what.

My symptoms did get worse over time, but that was how this whole thing got started.

Those were exactly my symptoms as well. I had positive bloodwork, and I just got a biopsy done last week. I started a Gluten free diet before getting the biopsy, so I know it will be inaccurate, but being gluten-free is the ONLY thing that has worked for me. Actually, I am on a special gluten-free diet, the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (www.breakingtheviciouscycle.com). So far, so good!

UCLANGEL:

Me, too! When I told my doc about my lifelong constipation and increasing gas, bloating and intestinal pain, she labeled me 'IBS' and gave me the IBS diet sheet which suggested eating more whole grains and bran cereals. So I faithfully ate my Shredded Wheat with Bran and Lactaid Milk every morning. Little did I know that I was gluten AND CASEIN intolerant. So avoiding lactose did nothing to relieve my symptoms and following my doc's advice did everything to exacerbate my symptoms. :o I later tested positive for gluten and casein intolerance and the celiac gene through Enterolab. So I showed those test results to my doc at my next exam. She told me 'ibs' was an 'elimination' label. If docs think they have eliminated all other sources of abdominal symptoms, they give patients the 'ibs' label. Unfortunately she and most docs don't do much 'elimination' research before labeling their patients' symptoms as IBS. <_<

Although following a gluten-free/df/sf (I'm soy intolerant too) diet has eliminated most of my symptoms, I'm still paranoid about constipation which can happen if I accidentally consume dairy (more so than gluten). Before I was diagnosed with celiac disease, my longterm constipation caused painful hemorrhoids which necessitated even more painful hemorrhoid surgery and recovery.

Abstaining from dairy also resolved my lifelong sinus allergies and infections. All those years I was told I was allergic to plants, trees, grasses, molds, dust, etc. We even bought a special vacuum cleaner which actually collects the particles rather than blowing them back into the room. Now we're lucky if the house gets vacuumed once a month and I can BREATHE all summer long with only occasional sneezing. :D

BURDEE

I'm going to be scoped next week, and I thought this conversation was interesting, because I've always thought diarrhea and wasting was indicative of celiac disease. I experience constipation whenever I eat wheat or rye, and I also gain weight. The more I eat, the worse it gets. I'm bulking up on wheat products prior to the scopes, and I'm really getting bloated!

Judy

Hey guys,

Thanks for all fo the replies.

I'm FINALLY getting a blood test done tomorrow and i can't wait. I'll let ya kno. :D