27 replies to this topic

#1 kimis

kimis

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:03 AM

I keep switching my thyroid meds around and I think I found a combo that works for me. In the morning I take a synthroid and Cytomel, and in the afternoon I take naturethroid. I would love to hear what other people are taking and how they are feeling.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:07 AM

Luckily, I convert T4 well and am doing fine on plain old levothyroxine. :)

#3 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

Since 2007 I take levothyroxine and cytomel in the morning and cytomel in the afternoon. I have felt the best ever on this combination. Before this I was only on levothyroxine.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#4 kimis

kimis

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:45 PM

Since 2007 I take levothyroxine and cytomel in the morning and cytomel in the afternoon. I have felt the best ever on this combination. Before this I was only on levothyroxine.

So have you ever tried any of the natural brands? I think Cytomel rocks! I love it! I can't believe what a difference it has made in my life

#5 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:56 PM

So have you ever tried any of the natural brands? I think Cytomel rocks! I love it! I can't believe what a difference it has made in my life

No I have never tried any of the natural thyroid medications. My current combination and dosage is working great. I feel really good. I felt even better after I got my vitamin D and ferritin back to normal. I even had my levothyroxine lowered last year, but unfortunately I think that will be the only decrease I will probably ever see. I started absorbing the medication better, so I was overmedicated. My current dosage has worked for about a year now. I see my endocrinologist every 4-6 months, so I get my levels checked regularly.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#6 kimis

kimis

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:55 AM

No I have never tried any of the natural thyroid medications. My current combination and dosage is working great. I feel really good. I felt even better after I got my vitamin D and ferritin back to normal. I even had my levothyroxine lowered last year, but unfortunately I think that will be the only decrease I will probably ever see. I started absorbing the medication better, so I was overmedicated. My current dosage has worked for about a year now. I see my endocrinologist every 4-6 months, so I get my levels checked regularly.

if you don't mind my asking.... what strength of Synthroid amd Cytomel do you take? How did you get your vit D and ferritin back to normal? What time of day do you grt your blood drawn for you thyroid levels?

#7 kimis

kimis

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:55 AM

if you don't mind my asking.... what strength of Synthroid amd Cytomel do you take? How did you get your vit D and ferritin back to normal? What time of day do you grt your blood drawn for you thyroid levels?

#8 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:53 AM

I've been on Synthroid 25 micrograms for over 3 years now and it sure has seemed to do the trick, but if you read my post called excessive sleep you'll see that it's possible my thyroids may be out of whack again or that the Synthroid is no longer doing the trick.

It is the only hypothyroidism med that I've been prescribed but I like it. I don't seem to get any side effects from it at all. At least none that affect my daily living!

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

#9 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:14 AM

I am currently taking 112 mcg of levothyroxine and 5 mcg of cytomel in the morning and then another 5 mcg of cytomel in the early afternoon. It was at the six month mark post diagnosis that I was having symptoms of overmedication (labs confirmed this too) that the endo lowered me from the 125 mcg of levothyroxine to the 112 mcg. I usually have my enocrinologist appointments in the late afternoon and go for labs after that, so I would say around 4:00 p.m. I had chronic low iron/ferritin since 2006 but wasn't able to tolerate oral iron supplementation until around 6+ months after celiac diagnosis. I healed enough that the iron did not aggrivate my reflux. At that point the GI doctor had me take two Slow FE tablets a day. I made sure I staggered it so it would not interfere with the thyroid meds. I was tested for vitamin D 3 months after diagnosis and it was in the toilet. I've been taking prescription vitamin D ever since (50,000 iu capsule once a week) and my levels are great now.

Me:

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):

#10 kimis

kimis

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:07 PM

I am currently taking 112 mcg of levothyroxine and 5 mcg of cytomel in the morning and then another 5 mcg of cytomel in the early afternoon. It was at the six month mark post diagnosis that I was having symptoms of overmedication (labs confirmed this too) that the endo lowered me from the 125 mcg of levothyroxine to the 112 mcg. I usually have my enocrinologist appointments in the late afternoon and go for labs after that, so I would say around 4:00 p.m. I had chronic low iron/ferritin since 2006 but wasn't able to tolerate oral iron supplementation until around 6+ months after celiac diagnosis. I healed enough that the iron did not aggrivate my reflux. At that point the GI doctor had me take two Slow FE tablets a day. I made sure I staggered it so it would not interfere with the thyroid meds. I was tested for vitamin D 3 months after diagnosis and it was in the toilet. I've been taking prescription vitamin D ever since (50,000 iu capsule once a week) and my levels are great now.

I am so happy you are doing well. I have not yet gotten to the point where I can talerate any supps at all....and I try them all! Even the kids ones....just to see. I found a SL vit D...but it still seems to hurt my GI track. I am so careful not to gluten myself too...so I don't think it's that. I take 25 synthriod and 10 cytomel. It's gonna get raised next fri cause my labs were off. Kinda weird...my tsh stayed the same but my t3 and t4 dropped. I don't understand how that is possible.

#11 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:51 PM

My doctor thinks I have hypothyroidism, even though my labs don't show it. I have all the symptoms.

I'm confused about the long term consequences of thyroid malfunction. If I am hypothyroidic, is this for life? Or, is this a temporary consequence of celiac (like food intolerances)?

#12 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:01 PM

Perhaps you have Type 2 HypoThyroidism. The thyroid hormone levels are there but your cells are resistant to them and cannot absorb them. Like Type 2 diabetes that cannot use insulin effectively.

Dr Starr has a good book.

http://www.21century...com/?page_id=12

Have you had Thyroid antibodies tested to see if you have autoimmune thyroidism? A/i thyroid can look strange in blood tests if the levels are unstable.

If you have thyroid disease it is usually for life but a gluten-free diet can drop the antibodies really low so you can probably manage with minimal medications for a while and maybe some natural meds like iodine and selenium etc. It depends how the antibodies are. You want them kept close to zero.

My doctor thinks I have hypothyroidism, even though my labs don't show it. I have all the symptoms.

I'm confused about the long term consequences of thyroid malfunction. If I am hypothyroidic, is this for life? Or, is this a temporary consequence of celiac (like food intolerances)?

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#13 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:16 PM

Actually, my Hashi's antibodies came up after I'd been gluten-free for a while so it's not true for everyone. I wish it were.

Recovering from thyroid malfunction depends on the cause. If it's Graves' or autoimmune it often does not resolve from gluten-free diet. If it's from iodine deficiency it can.

#14 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:49 AM

My doctor prescribed a low dosage of Levothyroxine. I'm reacting to the corn starch in it.

I read there are natural forms of thyroid medication. Any suggestions for which one to recommend to my doctor?

#15 Jenny (AZ via TX)

Jenny (AZ via TX)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:39 PM

I take NatureThroid and a compounded T3. The combination seems to work well for me. NatureThroid is a dessicated thyroid pill, much like Armour.

I also supplement with Vitamin D.

My Ferritin level 2 years ago was around 8 or 9 and is now way up, around a 100 which is in the normal range but seems high now. And, I don't have to take a nap everyday anymore.
Jenny
(Texas girl in AZ)

Diag: 2/2008
Bloodwork - positive, 2/19/08
Biopsy - positive, 2/26/08
Colonoscopy - clean as a whistle!, 2/27/08

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: