27 replies to this topic

#16 bluebonnet

bluebonnet

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:57 AM

i take levothyroxine. i've tried several other brands but for the past 2 years i've been on this. i've taken thyroid meds for 18 years and i've never heard of people taking some in the a.m. and some in the p.m. i always thought it was 1 pill a day in the a.m. i just get it checked once a year now. we'll see if being gluten free helps this condition (for me) next time i'm tested.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Jenny (AZ via TX)

Jenny (AZ via TX)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

I take my thyroid meds in the a.m. and p.m. I think this is done more with the natural dessicated thyroid medications.
Jenny
(Texas girl in AZ)

Diag: 2/2008
Bloodwork - positive, 2/19/08
Biopsy - positive, 2/26/08
Colonoscopy - clean as a whistle!, 2/27/08

#18 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:30 AM

Erfa Thyroid from Canada is very good. It is almost exactly the same as the 'old' formula Armour ( before they changed the formula). It can also be used sublingually which is great for anyone with absorption problems. Mary shomon had a page on how to get the Dr to write the generic script.

My doctor prescribed a low dosage of Levothyroxine. I'm reacting to the corn starch in it.

I read there are natural forms of thyroid medication. Any suggestions for which one to recommend to my doctor?

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#19 kimis

kimis

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:41 AM

For the people who take or have tried the natural thyroid replacements..... why do you think it is better than the synthetic? I would love to know what your symptoms were that went away after starting the natural. I had alot of symptoms come back after switching to just natural. I love Cytomel! I do not care much for synthroid at all. Has anyone ever tried a natural combined with Cytomel?

#20 mscan91

mscan91

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:59 PM

I always took levo. Made my hair fall out though :/

Everyone is different though.

#21 SaraKat

SaraKat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:14 AM

I take 25mcg of Synthroid.
Positive TTG IGA blood test 8/13/10
Endoscopy confirmed 8/31/10
Started gluten-free diet 9/1/10

#22 kimis

kimis

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:58 PM

I just got my labs back today and I am more confused than ever. I raised my synthroid/cytomel August 1st and my t3 and t4 are lower than they ever have been....my tsh has stayed at 2.5. What is going on?

#23 bincongo

bincongo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:17 PM

I was diagnosed hypothyroid last year and then Celiac this July. If my thyroid is autoimmune (Hashimoto) is it important to know this. I go in for labs this Thursday and don't know if I should ask for differnt Thyroid tests.
Dx Celiac July 2010 by Endoscopy biopsy- had Endoscopy for another reason, not for possible Celiac
Lactose intolerant discovered August 2010
Hypothyroid Dx 2009. Sleep Apnea 2005

#24 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:21 PM

I don't have a lot of info to share, but I suffer from low t3 but normal tsh. While doing research I found information that these types of results could mean there's an issue with your pituitary gland...it's not signaling to increase or decrease tsh as it should be with the rise and drop in the other hormones.
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

#25 kimis

kimis

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:43 AM

I don't have a lot of info to share, but I suffer from low t3 but normal tsh. While doing research I found information that these types of results could mean there's an issue with your pituitary gland...it's not signaling to increase or decrease tsh as it should be with the rise and drop in the other hormones.

I have a tumor on my pituitary gland. I was really upset about it for a few years cause it was growing and I was unsure if my symptoms were from the tumor or the hashi's. The Docs I saw for the tumor all told me it was nothing and to forget about it. I always though they were wrong about that but I will bring this info up at my next endo app.

#26 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:20 AM

I have a tumor on my pituitary gland. I was really upset about it for a few years cause it was growing and I was unsure if my symptoms were from the tumor or the hashi's. The Docs I saw for the tumor all told me it was nothing and to forget about it. I always though they were wrong about that but I will bring this info up at my next endo app.

Yes, a tumor is exactly what I wanted to write but I didn't want to alarm you. Don't get worried though, through my research, I have found that these types of tumors are quite common and often resolve on their own. However, they can cause issues with hormones, so don't let them dismiss that.
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

#27 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:17 AM

So... I thought I was OK on T4 but couldn't get back to feeling right after I had to have my dose increased again. I'm on T4 and cytomel now and it's definitely a little better than just T4. I'm glad you started this thread, as it's peoples stories here that made me willing to approach my doctor.

#28 kimis

kimis

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:25 AM

So... I thought I was OK on T4 but couldn't get back to feeling right after I had to have my dose increased again. I'm on T4 and cytomel now and it's definitely a little better than just T4. I'm glad you started this thread, as it's peoples stories here that made me willing to approach my doctor.

I have to say that I really don't like Synthroid at all. Every time I had to increase my dose I would feel horrible. My hair would fall out, horrible acne, my body would hurt and I just felt like crying all the time. I would decrease the dose and those symptoms would disappear. I gave up trying for a while and just excepted that I was going to feel like poop for the rest of my life and there was nothing I could do about it. Then I tried cytomel and it did wonders for me. I am not where I should be yet and I haven't found the right combination, but I have hope now and I didn't have that before. Living with autoimmune diseases is a frustrating battle for me. Celiac is easy cause all you have to do is avoid gluten (I don't care what any of you say....that is much easier than taking pills, seeing doctors, getting bloodwork all the time, ect.) Searching for answers is tiring and some of the docs I have seen have been a complete waste of time and money. They need to invent some kind of machine that can scan your body....find the problems....and fix them!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: