Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Chelsea Clinton - Gluten Allergy

9 posts in this topic

On July 31st, 2010, former president Bill Clinton's daughter Chelsea will be married in Rhinebeck, New York. According to the reports, she has a gluten "allergy", therefore there will be gluten free food for her at the wedding party. Well, I'd like to have a taste of the gluten-free cake, I'd guess that it's going to be the best gluten free cake in history. :rolleyes:

I suspect that she has Celiac, but they'd rather call it an allergy.

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/articles/2010/07/23/news/doc4c492372e6eb7762343462.txt

Wow! High profile for gluten-free diet!

Is that why the catering bill is going to be so high? ;)

Is that why the have rented the finest in porta potties too!!?

Well, that would explain her porcelain complexion.

I doubt it would be the best gluten free cake in history, but it may be the most expensive gluten free cake in history. In fact, unless it was baked by a gluten free experienced baker, it could be sort of a not so great tasting cake- this is not something I would want to leave to a regular baker unless they were into taste testing the first batches. Imagine some of the dreadful recipes out there.

There's just something about large volume, plain white commercially made cake frosting that is all wrong, too. Ick. Didn't even like it back in the gluten eating days. I think they were using Crisco or something. Bleck. :blink:

I doubt it would be the best gluten free cake in history, but it may be the most expensive gluten free cake in history. In fact, unless it was baked by a gluten free experienced baker, it could be sort of a not so great tasting cake- this is not something I would want to leave to a regular baker unless they were into taste testing the first batches. Imagine some of the dreadful recipes out there.

There's just something about large volume, plain white commercially made cake frosting that is all wrong, too. Ick. Didn't even like it back in the gluten eating days. I think they were using Crisco or something. Bleck. :blink:

Couldn't agree more - American wedding cake = blechh!!! No wonder the bride and groom smash it in each other's faces, gluten-free or not. :lol:

Chances are, if Chelsea Clinton has been gluten-free for any length of time, she's already had gluten-free cakes at her birthday and graduation parties, and she knows where to get the goods. Since we do not know how long it's been since her diagnosis, she may have been eating gluten free food when they lived in the White House, or possibly before that.

This wedding is going to cost up to five million dollars, and they are going to have everything done by the best of the best. She has probably already tasted samples of many gluten free wedding cakes, and chose the one she liked the best.

There are several wedding cake designers in New York and New Jersey who regularly bake gluten free cakes. There's a baker in Kingston, NY, which is not far from Rhinebeck, where the wedding is being held, called The Alternative Baker, that does gluten-free. Since Rhinebeck is only 80 miles from New York City, it wouldn't be any problem to obtain the cake from a NYC cake designer who does gluten-free cakes, such as Sylvia Weinstock Cake Ltd., on Church Street, or JACY Cakes, on West 82nd Street - and if none of those cakes are to her liking, they'll fly in a baker from anywhere in the world to make one.

Below: It is not yet known who the cake designer for Chelsea Clinton's wedding will be, but here is a gluten free wedding cake, by Sylvia Weinstock http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/resourcesforceliacs/a/weddingcake.htm[/media

weddingcake.JPG

With Chelsea Clinton having a "gluten allergy" there may be a lot more research done on Celiac. Hopefully a lot more people will start to think it may be the cause of why they are so sick and not getting better. I really believe it is a cause of so many illnesses that doctors are completely missing. Way too many people are suffering when they could easily be cured of their symptoms by being gluten free.

I sure hope Chelsea gets the message out about her "gluten allergy" and if she does have Celiac, she discloses that information in the near future. Having someone in the public eye with this issue can make all the difference for so many others.

Yes, Jackay, she could be a very important link in the direction of possible treatments, alternative dietary needs, and awareness regarding Celaic.

The word is out - Chelsea's gluten-free vegan weddding cake was made by La Tulipe Desserts, Mt. Kisco, Westchester County, NY.

No photos of the cake published yet.