Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

What Should I Be Looking For In Salad Dressing?

• Please log in to reply

22 replies to this topic

#1 lischro

lischro

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:17 AM

I'm still very new with gluten free, but pretty used to thoroughly reading ingredient labels since I have been a vegetarian for almost 10 years.

My question is- what should I look for, as far as gluten ingredients or "hidden" gluten containing ingredients in salad dressings and condiments (like mustard, ketchup, hot sauce etc...)

I feel like I never know what I'm reading unless it says at the bottom "contains wheat" or something obvious like "wheat flour."

Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:32 AM

I'm still very new with gluten free, but pretty used to thoroughly reading ingredient labels since I have been a vegetarian for almost 10 years.

My question is- what should I look for, as far as gluten ingredients or "hidden" gluten containing ingredients in salad dressings and condiments (like mustard, ketchup, hot sauce etc...)

I feel like I never know what I'm reading unless it says at the bottom "contains wheat" or something obvious like "wheat flour."

Thanks!!

In the U.S, wheat must be clearly listed as such. No guessing there. I can't remember the last time I've found a condiment with hidden gluten, and really almost none with gluten at all. They won't have rye or oats, which leaves barley, and in the mustards that I've seen with it, it's been clearly listed.

#3 conniebky

conniebky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:48 AM

In the U.S, wheat must be clearly listed as such. No guessing there. I can't remember the last time I've found a condiment with hidden gluten, and really almost none with gluten at all. They won't have rye or oats, which leaves barley, and in the mustards that I've seen with it, it's been clearly listed.

For salad dressings, I go straight to the Wish Bone. Theirs are clearly marked GLUTEN FREE - if they are

Matter of fact, they have 2 identical looking Ranches, one is marked gluten-free and one is not.
Be kind to each person that you meet, for everyone is fighting a great battle

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:52 AM

Kraft has a coorporate policy to label clearly any gluten containing ingredients, so you can always feel safe with a Kraft product. I haven't seen any dressing that aren't gluten-free but We only use a few flavors. Have found that a lot of bottled marinades have wheat in them. Iguess to make them a little thicker.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:59 AM

http://www.newmansown.com/foodQA.aspx
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#6 Khara33

Khara33

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:01 AM

Kraft has a coorporate policy to label clearly any gluten containing ingredients, so you can always feel safe with a Kraft product. I haven't seen any dressing that aren't gluten-free but We only use a few flavors. Have found that a lot of bottled marinades have wheat in them. Iguess to make them a little thicker.

Stay away from blue cheese dressings, and a lot of imported/foreign mustards are not safe.

#7 lischro

lischro

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:02 AM

very helpful! thanks guys- what about when things say 'Natural Flavor'?

#8 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:17 AM

Stay away from blue cheese dressings, and a lot of imported/foreign mustards are not safe.

Blue cheese does not contain gluten. We had a thread about that before. Maybe cheeses made in Europe?

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#9 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

Annie's makes several dressings that are both gluten free and vegan. I have a few of the Annie's, but I prefer to make my own dressing. Olive oil and vinegar with some seasonings and you have dressing. http://www.anniesnaturals.com/ (click on FAQ's)
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#10 Tina B

Tina B

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:45 PM

Thanks!!

Things like modified food strarch. Some labels will say after it from: corn or rice or wheat. If it doesn't tell you the source don't use it. Also anything from malt like malt vinegar because malt is from barley. Maltodextrin is OK and gluten free. Wishbone robusto italian dressing is gluten free and does say so in small print on the back where the ingredient list is.
Gluten free since 1990.
Diagnosed by duodenal biopsy.

You don't stop skiing because you get old. You get old because you stop skiing :-)

#11 Tina B

Tina B

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:48 PM

Thanks!!

FOOD LABEL INGREDIENTS to Avoid
  • Caramel flavoring or coloring
  • Emulsifiers
  • Flour
  • Gluten stabilizers
  • Fillers
  • Hydrolyzed, hydrogenated, or texturized vegetable protein
  • Hydrolyzed plant protein
  • Malt or malt flavoring
  • Modified food starch
  • Stabilizers
  • Vegetable gum or protein
  • These ingredients are found in:
  • Processed cheeses
  • Soups
  • Gravies
  • Sauces
  • Chili sauces
  • Seasoning mixes
  • Pickled items
  • Mustard
  • Catsup
  • Vinegar
  • Chip dips
  • Steak sauces

Gluten free since 1990.

You don't stop skiing because you get old. You get old because you stop skiing :-)

#12 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:56 PM

FOOD LABEL INGREDIENTS to Avoid
{{snip}}

I'm not sure where that list came from, but it is full of long-discredited information, particularly in light of FALCPA, which has been in effect since January 1, 2006.

Malt is a valid issue--it comes from barley. If any of the other things contain wheat, it will be explicitly stated as "wheat."
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#13 Tina B

Tina B

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:10 PM

I'm not sure where that list came from, but it is full of long-discredited information, particularly in light of FALCPA, which has been in effect since January 1, 2006.

Malt is a valid issue--it comes from barley. If any of the other things contain wheat, it will be explicitly stated as "wheat."

OOPS! sorry. those of us diagnosed 20 years ago still remember the old rules when tings weren't clearly marked. Sorry, dating myself.
Gluten free since 1990.

#14 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:55 AM

Agreed!

#15 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

Things like modified food strarch. Some labels will say after it from: corn or rice or wheat. If it doesn't tell you the source don't use it. Also anything from malt like malt vinegar because malt is from barley. Maltodextrin is OK and gluten free. Wishbone robusto italian dressing is gluten free and does say so in small print on the back where the ingredient list is.

Modified Food Starch, in the US, is almost ALWAYS derived from corn. If, it is derived from wheat, it must be listed by law as "Modified Food Starch (wheat)".
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: