This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Should I Be Looking For In Salad Dressing?

lischro

lischro Apprentice

I'm still very new with gluten free, but pretty used to thoroughly reading ingredient labels since I have been a vegetarian for almost 10 years.

My question is- what should I look for, as far as gluten ingredients or "hidden" gluten containing ingredients in salad dressings and condiments (like mustard, ketchup, hot sauce etc...)

I feel like I never know what I'm reading unless it says at the bottom "contains wheat" or something obvious like "wheat flour."

Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

I'm still very new with gluten free, but pretty used to thoroughly reading ingredient labels since I have been a vegetarian for almost 10 years.

My question is- what should I look for, as far as gluten ingredients or "hidden" gluten containing ingredients in salad dressings and condiments (like mustard, ketchup, hot sauce etc...)

I feel like I never know what I'm reading unless it says at the bottom "contains wheat" or something obvious like "wheat flour."

Thanks!!

In the U.S, wheat must be clearly listed as such. No guessing there. I can't remember the last time I've found a condiment with hidden gluten, and really almost none with gluten at all. They won't have rye or oats, which leaves barley, and in the mustards that I've seen with it, it's been clearly listed.

conniebky Collaborator

In the U.S, wheat must be clearly listed as such. No guessing there. I can't remember the last time I've found a condiment with hidden gluten, and really almost none with gluten at all. They won't have rye or oats, which leaves barley, and in the mustards that I've seen with it, it's been clearly listed.

For salad dressings, I go straight to the Wish Bone. Theirs are clearly marked GLUTEN FREE - if they are

Matter of fact, they have 2 identical looking Ranches, one is marked gluten-free and one is not.

kareng Grand Master

Kraft has a coorporate policy to label clearly any gluten containing ingredients, so you can always feel safe with a Kraft product. I haven't seen any dressing that aren't gluten-free but We only use a few flavors. Have found that a lot of bottled marinades have wheat in them. Iguess to make them a little thicker.

Lisa Mentor
Open Original Shared Link
Khara33 Newbie

Kraft has a coorporate policy to label clearly any gluten containing ingredients, so you can always feel safe with a Kraft product. I haven't seen any dressing that aren't gluten-free but We only use a few flavors. Have found that a lot of bottled marinades have wheat in them. Iguess to make them a little thicker.

Stay away from blue cheese dressings, and a lot of imported/foreign mustards are not safe.

lischro Apprentice

very helpful! thanks guys- what about when things say 'Natural Flavor'?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Stay away from blue cheese dressings, and a lot of imported/foreign mustards are not safe.

Blue cheese does not contain gluten. We had a thread about that before. Maybe cheeses made in Europe?

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Annie's makes several dressings that are both gluten free and vegan. I have a few of the Annie's, but I prefer to make my own dressing. Olive oil and vinegar with some seasonings and you have dressing. Open Original Shared Link (click on FAQ's)

Tina B Apprentice

Thanks!!

Things like modified food strarch. Some labels will say after it from: corn or rice or wheat. If it doesn't tell you the source don't use it. Also anything from malt like malt vinegar because malt is from barley. Maltodextrin is OK and gluten free. Wishbone robusto italian dressing is gluten free and does say so in small print on the back where the ingredient list is.

Tina B Apprentice

Thanks!!

FOOD LABEL INGREDIENTS to Avoid

• Caramel flavoring or coloring
  • Emulsifiers
  • Flour
  • Gluten stabilizers
  • Fillers
  • Hydrolyzed, hydrogenated, or texturized vegetable protein
  • Hydrolyzed plant protein
  • Malt or malt flavoring
  • Modified food starch
  • Stabilizers
  • Vegetable gum or protein
    • These ingredients are found in:
    • Processed cheeses
    • Soups
    • Gravies
    • Sauces
    • Chili sauces
    • Seasoning mixes
    • Pickled items
    • Mustard
    • Catsup
    • Vinegar
    • Chip dips
    • Steak sauces

psawyer Proficient

FOOD LABEL INGREDIENTS to Avoid

{{snip}}

I'm not sure where that list came from, but it is full of long-discredited information, particularly in light of FALCPA, which has been in effect since January 1, 2006.

Malt is a valid issue--it comes from barley. If any of the other things contain wheat, it will be explicitly stated as "wheat."

Tina B Apprentice

I'm not sure where that list came from, but it is full of long-discredited information, particularly in light of FALCPA, which has been in effect since January 1, 2006.

Malt is a valid issue--it comes from barley. If any of the other things contain wheat, it will be explicitly stated as "wheat."

OOPS! sorry. those of us diagnosed 20 years ago still remember the old rules when tings weren't clearly marked. Sorry, dating myself.

Juliebove Rising Star

Agreed!

Lisa Mentor

Things like modified food strarch. Some labels will say after it from: corn or rice or wheat. If it doesn't tell you the source don't use it. Also anything from malt like malt vinegar because malt is from barley. Maltodextrin is OK and gluten free. Wishbone robusto italian dressing is gluten free and does say so in small print on the back where the ingredient list is.

Modified Food Starch, in the US, is almost ALWAYS derived from corn. If, it is derived from wheat, it must be listed by law as "Modified Food Starch (wheat)".

munchkinette Collaborator

Soy sauce. It's obvious on it's own, but I'm always surprised by how many non-Asian salad dressings have it. Annie's Goddess dressing is the one that I totally didn't expect, because it definitely doesn't taste like it.

Wheatfreedude Apprentice

Annie's makes several dressings that are both gluten free and vegan. I have a few of the Annie's, but I prefer to make my own dressing. Olive oil and vinegar with some seasonings and you have dressing. Open Original Shared Link (click on FAQ's)

I am SO glad to see this posting for Annie's Naturals. They have really good gluten free salad dressings. But just because they are called "SALAD" dressings, don't limit them to just salads.

For those non-vegetarians... use their:

Shitake Mushroom or Lemon & Chive as a fish marinade for about 4 hours.

Lite Honey Mustard as a pork chop/tenderloin marinade

Roasted Red Pepper Vinaigrette as a chicken or turkey marinade.

Artichoke Parmesan on a flank steak. (WAY Yummy!)

Or get creative and chose your own combinations!

~Wheatfreedude~

Leeis2k Newbie

What about Kraft ranch salad dressing & and dip? i can't find any info that says gluten free.

psawyer Proficient

What about Kraft ranch salad dressing & and dip? i can't find any info that says gluten free.

Kraft will clearly disclose any source of gluten in their products. All you have to do is read the label. If you don't see the gluten, it isn't there. Most of their dressings are gluten-free, but I can't speak specifically to the ranch as I don't use it.

Lostfalls Newbie

Thanks!!

Use Wishbone - they clearly label which of their dressings are "GLUTEN FREE" on the back with the Nutritional Information. I know alot of folks on here trust Kraft to label "Wheat" - I do not and have had gotten sick after eating some Kraft Dressing I thought was safe on my salad. Now I don't eat it unless I call the company and confirm that it is gluten free or it says gluten free.

sa1937 Community Regular

Personally I feel very comfortable eating Kraft dressings. They will not hide wheat but I also know that people have various intolerances to a lot of different ingredients. That could include whole, natural foods (fruits and veggies, for example).

Their Ranch dressing is my favorite although I've pretty much avoided it for a few months as it contains milk (as well as eggs). I figure since I was only diagnosed 4 months ago, I probably was (or am) lactose intolerant. You need to buy what you're comfortable using.

Wheatfreedude Apprentice

Kudos to Lisa and GlutenFreeMama for recommending gluten free salad dressings that are also ALL NATURAL.

Please, please, please.... do not get me wrong. If you are comfortable with Kraft's items and they are working for you, continue to use them.

I simply know that there is a rather large group on this board that don't like to eat items with ingredients that are unfamiliar to us.

With that said, here's Krafts Ingredient Statement for their Ranch:

WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, SUGAR, GARLIC JUICE, BUTTERMILK, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF SALT, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, WHEY, PHOSPHORIC ACID, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, EGG WHITES, VINEGAR, XANTHAN GUM, CITRIC ACID, POLYSORBATE 60, SPICE, NATURAL FLAVOR, ENZYMES, WITH SODIUM LACTATE, NATAMYCIN, AND CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA AS PRESERVATIVES. CONTAINS: MILK, EGG.

You may want to contact Kraft and find out why they use the following ingredients and what they are:

- Phosphoric Acid

- Monosodium Glutamate

- Polysorbate 60

- Sodium Lactate

- Natamycin

- Calcium Disodium EDTA

~Wheatfreedude~

psawyer Proficient

The topic is gluten in dressings and condiments. Let's see if we can stay on topic.

Archived