#1 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:41 AM

Red velvet cupcakes to be specific. :D
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 conniebky

conniebky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:48 AM

Oh man! I'm at work! Give us a review, will you?

I was HOPING that Chelsea Clinton's wedding would bring a LOT of light to gluten-free!
Be kind to each person that you meet, for everyone is fighting a great battle

#3 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:50 AM

Oh man! I'm at work! Give us a review, will you?

I was HOPING that Chelsea Clinton's wedding would bring a LOT of light to gluten-free!

Yeah it's over now. I turned it on as they were making it, but it looked yummy. I'm going to go searching for the recipe online. BRB.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#4 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:55 AM

Okay, here's what they made: http://today.msnbc.m...om/id/38455729/ (scroll down for the recipe)

She didn't say what flours she was using, but she did talk about the properties of gluten in cooking and how it's important to have the right gluten free flour mix that's not too heavy. They also mentioned that some people have a "gluten allergy" and some people have a more serious thing called celiac disease. I think it was a pretty fair presentation for as brief as it was.

#5 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

Okay, here's what they made: http://today.msnbc.m...om/id/38455729/ (scroll down for the recipe)

She didn't say what flours she was using, but she did talk about the properties of gluten in cooking and how it's important to have the right gluten free flour mix that's not too heavy. They also mentioned that some people have a "gluten allergy" and some people have a more serious thing called celiac disease. I think it was a pretty fair presentation for as brief as it was.

That recipe is not detailed enough for gluten free baking. :blink:

She has "gluten free flour mix" but does not specify it should contain a proportional amount of xanthan or guar gum unless certain stickier type gluten free flours are used. Also, different gluten free flour mixes bake at different times, so the cupcakes should be tested before the final pull from the oven. Because of sulfite sensitivities, I would recommend pure apple cider vinegar instead of wine vinegar. With so many gluten-free people having lactose sensitivities, I would also specify a lactose free milk or liquid substitute such as gluten free rice, soy, or nut milk or even water.

She should also specify on the food coloring, vanilla, and cream cheese that they be gluten free.

I would not want somebody to try this and feed it to somebody without the usual ingredient shakedown. B)

#6 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:35 AM

Google Living Without Red Velvet Cake for a recipe. Make cupcakes instead of cake.

Also, www.glutenfreecookingschool.com/archives/gluten-free-red-velvet-cake/ has a recipe using brown rice flour, sorghum, and tapioca flour.

#7 ptkds

ptkds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:54 PM

Go to Hulu.com. The segment is on there.

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 12 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 7 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 7 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

#8 kwylee

kwylee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:35 AM

There was an earlier segment, or perhaps something different in my Central time zone, an interview with a "correspondent", not sure of nutrition or medical credentials - but her talk was about why celebrities are going gluten free to lose weight!!!! I had to laugh because if I ate all the gluten free goodies they had on that table, the flours and cookies, I'd be as BIG as a house.

In all fairness, she did cover the hidden gluten in foods, and why millions of Americans must not ingest gluten due to an intolerance or celiac disease, and for those individuals, it is not to lose weight, but to remain healthy.

But I have a feeling the notion that if you eat all those replacements for gluten you will slim down, THAT will be a short-lived fad. Unless someone sticks with all natural unprocessed foods, they will wind up gaining weight!

In any event, the awareness of the perils of ingesting gluten are becoming more and more mainstream. That's great!
K Wylee

Gluten Intolerant, Positive test, June 2010
Casein sensitivity, Positive test, June 2010
Reactive to soy, most processed foods & preservatives, June 2010

#9 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:45 AM

There was an earlier segment, or perhaps something different in my Central time zone, an interview with a "correspondent", not sure of nutrition or medical credentials - but her talk was about why celebrities are going gluten free to lose weight!!!! I had to laugh because if I ate all the gluten free goodies they had on that table, the flours and cookies, I'd be as BIG as a house.

In all fairness, she did cover the hidden gluten in foods, and why millions of Americans must not ingest gluten due to an intolerance or celiac disease, and for those individuals, it is not to lose weight, but to remain healthy.

But I have a feeling the notion that if you eat all those replacements for gluten you will slim down, THAT will be a short-lived fad. Unless someone sticks with all natural unprocessed foods, they will wind up gaining weight!

In any event, the awareness of the perils of ingesting gluten are becoming more and more mainstream. That's great!

For anyone interested, there is a thread with a link to the Today Show piece--

http://www.celiac.co..._0
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#10 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:41 PM

I happened to see that Today show. The source person did point out that most Celiacs actually gain weight when they go gluten free. She did not say why, but in my case it was because food was no longer running through me as fast as I could eat it. It stuck around long enough to become fat!

#11 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

Oh, I meant to ask: Why did Chelsea have a gluten-free cake ? Does she have Celiac, or is she one who is doing it to lose weight? That's the first I heard about the cake.

#12 kayo

kayo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:45 AM

I read that Chelsea has a gluten allergy and she is vegan. It didn't elaborate to say if it was celiac or gluten-intolerance.
40 year old former foodie on a quest to feel better!

-IgE to oats and rye
-Diagnosed with Colitis via endoscopy/colonoscopy Oct '10
-Following FODMAP diet since June '10, Positve SIBO test, July '10
-Diagnosed non-celiac gluten intolerant June '10 (celiac in March '10, endocsocopy in Oct '10 shows no signs of celiac)
-Osteopenia June '10
-Gluten free since July '09 & Soy free since December '09
-Dairy free since '06
-IBS & Sjogren's diagnosed '05
-RA diagnosed as a toddler

#13 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:20 AM

That recipe is not detailed enough for gluten free baking. :blink:

She has "gluten free flour mix" but does not specify it should contain a proportional amount of xanthan or guar gum unless certain stickier type gluten free flours are used. Also, different gluten free flour mixes bake at different times, so the cupcakes should be tested before the final pull from the oven. Because of sulfite sensitivities, I would recommend pure apple cider vinegar instead of wine vinegar. With so many gluten-free people having lactose sensitivities, I would also specify a lactose free milk or liquid substitute such as gluten free rice, soy, or nut milk or even water.

She should also specify on the food coloring, vanilla, and cream cheese that they be gluten free.

I would not want somebody to try this and feed it to somebody without the usual ingredient shakedown. B)

The flour thing might be a problem but many people with celiac have neither sulfite nor lactose problems. The person was making gluten-free cupcakes, not sulfite and lactose free cupcakes. I once saw a gluten-free cooking demonstration and someone from the audience complained that the dishes contained too much salt and fat for her diet. The cook reminded her that this was a gluten-free demo, not a low-fat, low-salt demo.

As for specifying that those three ingredients be gluten-free, I assume the cook didn't think that necessary. Personally, I can't even name a vanilla, cream cheese or food coloring that has gluten. I know we used to be warned about checking artificial coloring and vanilla, but we discovered years ago that those ingredients are in fact not a threat. Cream cheese has NEVER been a suspect ingredient that I know of.

#14 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:47 PM

Good for you, lovegrov. It's so great to see some common sense!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: