This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Help! Sushi Axiom?

sannep77

sannep77 Newbie

I am trying to find a good sushi restaurant that I can eat at safely. I have read that the sushi axiom is gluten free friendly...but as usual I got a "What the heck is gluten?" response when I asked the waiter.haha! So has anyone ever eaten there...or know of a place that has gluten free sushi in fort worth, texas?? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

The trick with sushi is to stick to plain raw fish and sushi rice and bring your own soy sauce. Then you're eating naturally gluten-free food. The best thing to order is nigiri or sashimi and rice. Edamame, pickled veggies and ginger, and things like cream cheese or cucumber are OK too.

I've also never had a problem with nori (seaweed) on things like tuna rolls but I just learned here that korean nori can be processed with soy sauce.

Avoid cooked sushi like unagi that can be flavored with soy sauce, tempura put in rolls, fake crab meat, roe as it can be marinated with soy sauce, ponzo sauce, and wasabi (unless you know it's pure).

You will get a funny look if you mention gluten, but I will say "I am allergic to fake crab meat and soy sauce, please serve my food plain" to be sure they don't try to "decorate" anything with a squirt of ponzo sauce or shreds of fake crab.

sannep77 Newbie

Thankyou so much! Yeah before I was diagnosed I would eat avocado rolls....which consists of fresh avocado with rice and soy paper instead of seaweed because I hate seaweed! And i actually craved it alot because it was one of the few things that didn't make me sick. Should I be concerned with soy paper?

Skylark Collaborator

I don't know. I have never run across soy paper! Maybe someone else can tell you.

You might ask if there's an English ingredient label they can show you the first time you eat it. If it doesn't make you sick and you're sensitive, that's always a good sign. :)

Often if you say you have a "wheat allergy" and need to see a label or check something, people understand better and are more helpful.

sannep77 Newbie

Ok thanks! Yeah I am very sensitive to alot of foods so I should know!

miles2go Contributor

Thankyou so much! Yeah before I was diagnosed I would eat avocado rolls....which consists of fresh avocado with rice and soy paper instead of seaweed because I hate seaweed! And i actually craved it alot because it was one of the few things that didn't make me sick. Should I be concerned with soy paper?

The only soy paper that I have seen was gluten-free, but it was in a store and I could read the label.

sannep77 Newbie

Thankyou...did you see it in like a regular grocery store? I kind of want to buy some so I can try making my own! Im just gonna try the restaurant and hope it doesn't make me sick...cuz I will be on a date.lol

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

miles2go Contributor

Yo, I looked it up and it was Sushi Party's Soy Wrappers at our very cool local natural foods store. I would give the restaurant a call - it's good practice for the rest of life, you bypass a potentially busy server and also, you'd have soo much more fun on your date. ;)

Now I want some of them.

Margaret

sannep77 Newbie

haha..thankyou! Yeah I'm prolly gonna call and ask to speak to the manager! Go get you some sushi!:)

NJKen Rookie

Eel (in sushi) is often covered with a sauce that contains wheat, so avoid the eel. (Maybe you would have, anyway. :P ) Also, some of the vegetarian sushi options may have bread crumbs.

sannep77 Newbie

uummm yes I would stay away from eel! yuck. I actually only like the vegetarian sushi. preferably avocado roll..yum:)

Nor-TX Enthusiast

I am trying to find a good sushi restaurant that I can eat at safely. I have read that the sushi axiom is gluten free friendly...but as usual I got a "What the heck is gluten?" response when I asked the waiter.haha! So has anyone ever eaten there...or know of a place that has gluten free sushi in fort worth, texas?? Thanks!

I live just outside of Dallas, so if you hear of a good sushi restaurant other than Osaka please let me know, they may have another branch closer to me. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
mscan91 Newbie

Hello! I have the same problem all the time. I work in sushi resturant and will tell you as long as you're smart about it, you'll be ok. No "crunch". No random sauce. It's all soy sauce based. Just say no soy sauce. I work at a place called Samurai Bistro ask for me and I'll hook you up :D

Archived