This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Digestive Enzymes

vbecton

vbecton Explorer

My symptoms since going gluten-free are mounting. I'll spare you all the details, especially if you've seen my other posts! So...

I started on digestive enzymes yesterday. I'm taking Protease, Lipase, Amylase, Cellulase and some others are sprinkled in the pill for good measure. But those are the bulk that will help me break down carbs, fats, & proteins. Right?

My stomach seems to be upset, crampy, gassy after every meal. So, if I take the enzymes with my meal, are they designed to work instantly? I assume so :blink: Or are they something that needs to build up in my intestines over time before I see the full benefit?

Look folks, I don't want to get excited, but just after 24 hrs on these puppies my intestines aren't FREAKING out! Could be coincidence, but I'm a' hopin' it isn't :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

I've been taking them for awhile since I am not digesting fats. I got the ones with just the pancreatic enzymes not the stomach acid because I have an ulcer. I do believe they have helped. I ran out of them for a few days (was waiting on some in the mail) and I was miserable again. I was taking them according to the bottle and they helped my sypmtoms but didn't get rid of it. When I got my new bottle in I was taking as stated on the bottle, but I then decided along with the two with each meal I would take another one if I had a snack or something. It helped a bunch more that I actually had a solid movement. I still was watching the fat intake, but not eliminiting it completely. However, I am needing to do a fecal stool test so quit taking them yesterday and am eating fats. Let me tell you within 24 hours I have been running to the bathroom and can see visiable fat floating already. When taking them I did feel some relief within 24-48 hrs. but felt the best after about 5 days and taking extra with snacks. I would expect that this would depend on how strong your enzymes are though. I am going through with the testing because if it shows abnormal they said I may need to take stronger RX enzymes. I don't believe this is due to refractory sprue since my last blood work was normal with only a slightly positive AGA IgG. I had a repeat EGD with biopsy in April and was told my biopsy was normal. I have been suspecting my gallbladder and/or a pancreatic insufficiency. I do have a suboptimal functioning gallbaldder, but my gi said I would be hard pressed to find a surgeon to take it out since it is not at the surgical threshold. GI doc said he liked the function at least 50% or higher and mine was at 48%. I may even see about repeating the HIDA scan to see if it has gotten worse. I have a feeling by the end of the year it may get taken out.

vbecton Explorer

Yikes about the gallbladder! Sometimes doctors don't sense the urgency in matters. That's frustrating! I hope you get some relief with that.

I'm going into my GI next week for a boatload of test results, one of which is refractory. Not sure that is my issue, but maybe just an issue with digestion. I will talk to him about RX enzymes because I may need some heavy duty help. My intestines are a nightmare!

Maybe my issue is with fats also because my fecal fat count is always pretty high. Does this mean I've got a problem with my gallbladder or pancreas? I think he checked the levels of both on my last round of blood work and they came back normal. Not sure if that means anything.

Roda Rising Star

It could be caused from a problem from the gallbladder/pancreas. You don't always have to have a gall stones, pain and a "classical gallbladder attack" to have problems with it. It can simply not function properly by not contracting and releasing enough bile. I don't have bad pain, just a pulling/pinching sensation in my right upper abdomen. I notice it after I eat especially if it had any fat in it and I had the same sensation during my HIDA scan when they were injecting the kinevac. Good fats or bad fats it doesn't matter. You may be onto something if the enzymes seem to be helping. It also couln't hurt to have them do an ultrasound scan and HIDA scan on your gallbladder. All are worth discussing with the doctor. I told mine I wanted to try a conservitive approach before subjecting myself to surgery. I'm still trying things so I'm not ready for surgery yet.

EvieLS Rookie

It could be caused from a problem from the gallbladder/pancreas. You don't always have to have a gall stones, pain and a "classical gallbladder attack" to have problems with it. It can simply not function properly by not contracting and releasing enough bile. I don't have bad pain, just a pulling/pinching sensation in my right upper abdomen. I notice it after I eat especially if it had any fat in it and I had the same sensation during my HIDA scan when they were injecting the kinevac. Good fats or bad fats it doesn't matter. You may be onto something if the enzymes seem to be helping. It also couln't hurt to have them do an ultrasound scan and HIDA scan on your gallbladder. All are worth discussing with the doctor. I told mine I wanted to try a conservitive approach before subjecting myself to surgery. I'm still trying things so I'm not ready for surgery yet.

I had several Hida scans that showed no problems but a year ago no one told me not to eat and during Hida no digestive action was shown so it came out. felt better fo 3/4 of year. Now am doing 2 weeks dairy free and much less 'D', so may have gotten back dairy problem. Had been off for over a year and then back on so now to have e problem again is a bummer! Next trial will be fructose but can't find if beet and cane sugar are included with fruit sugar..anyone have the answer??

Archived