Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Green Peppers Or Garlic

13 posts in this topic

Lately, I have noticed an unusual :unsure: reaction after I eat and it is usually after consuming green peppers or garlic. Don't know which of the two is the true culprit but was wondering if anyone else has issues with this. I have seen a couple of posts on :huh: night shades :huh: ?? but don't have true information. Any help or info appreciated :) -Jenny

Ads by Google:

Lately, I have noticed an unusual :unsure: reaction after I eat and it is usually after consuming green peppers or garlic. Don't know which of the two is the true culprit but was wondering if anyone else has issues with this. I have seen a couple of posts on :huh: night shades :huh: ?? but don't have true information. Any help or info appreciated :) -Jenny

omg jen- it has been an ongoing puzzle for me... sometimes garlic & bell peppers bother me, sometimes they dont... sometime dairy bothers me.. sometimes not... 90% of the time i have Fructose Malabsorption... and once in a blue moon i cant do sweet potatoes..

i think in a nutshell- with Celiac & GI-> our systems have been compromised, and untill completely healed- or maybe never- it MAY be hard to digest certain foods.

another good guide for me has been Dr. D'Adamo's Bloodtype & Genotype diets (****just make sure u do a 100% Gluten Free version of it)- but 95% of the guidelines for me as an O+ Nonsecretor & Gatherer genotype have correlated w/ my digestive issues. (ie: no pears,apple juice, orange juice,MOST grains, soy,dairy, etc)

good luck with your puzzle :)

You can try eliminating tomatoes, potatoes, and peppers and see if that helps. They are all nightshades. I can eat sweet potatoes ok, but nay regular potatoes are a problem.

Have you tried eliminating soy yet?

Hi cassP,interesting note I have same blood type :huh: and the issues continue :o , GfinDC, Thank you I am definately going to start eliminating certain foods to see if I feel better :) Thank you both for your advice ;)

Could be either one or both. I tested pos. to green peppers and kiddo tested stronly pos. to garlic. Allergist said he has a patient who has an anaphalactic reaction to garlic :o Who knew such a thing was possible? With leaky guts we can end up allergic to almost anything. Good luck sorting it out.

The "blood type" diet is rubbish. That fellow is laughing his way to the bank. Notice how the most popular American foods are lined up with the most common American blood type, O.

The classic way to test is to eliminate both nightshades (all kinds of peppers, eggplant, potato, tomato, tomatillo) and onions and garlic (they're related) for two weeks. Then challenge one food at a time, in a very pure form, and with no other potential problem foods. Give a minimum of 3 days between challenges. If you eat a food both raw and cooked, test both as they can be different.

I met that blood type diet guy once while almost buying a car from him. He's a fool, don't put any faith into a thing he says as far as nutrition goes.

I met that blood type diet guy once while almost buying a car from him. He's a fool, don't put any faith into a thing he says as far as nutrition goes.

I have a coworker who has a serious problem with cooked whole garlic, but can do garlic powder/garlic salt without issues and ...

I find interesting correlations with my gluten-free definitely not-average-blood-type diet and results as a highly atopic individual...but I'm buying food anyway and the library is free in most countries, still. :)

I started noticing stomach problems with uncooked green peppers many years ago, long before any of my other symptoms came to the forefront. I put garlic in lots of foods and have never noticed anything that removing gluten didn't help (caveat - not cure, so far, but helped massively) but I'm still cautious about green peppers. Maybe cooked, it's not as problematic, but I can't speak to that since I don't like the way they taste cooked and rarely put them in anything I'm cooking. I used to add them as the last ingredient (so they wouldn't overcook) when I've made chili in the long past. They really stood out to me as a problematic food, and I have a highly varied diet and have eaten lots of things over the years, so I don't think it's crazy/weird/etc. to suspect them at all.

BKJ

I also have recently been having spells(what I call them) I have been using garlic as I had heard it was good for the problems. I stopped green peppers and went to red which don't bother me as much. Tomatoes are somewhat of a problem. Any thoughts

BKJ

I also have recently been having spells(what I call them) I have been using garlic as I had heard it was good for the problems. I stopped green peppers and went to red which don't bother me as much. Tomatoes are somewhat of a problem. Any thoughts

You are replying to a thread that is over 2 years old and the OP may not see it. Just so you know. :)

BKJ

You may well be sensitive to nightshades. How do do with eggplant and potatoes? Those are the other two major members of the nightshade family, along with chili peppers and paprika (and of course the peppers and tomatoes).

You are replying to a thread that is over 2 years old and the OP may not see it. Just so you know. :)

I am ok with potatoes but don't eat mushrooms. BKJ