This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Outback Bloomin' Onion Recipe

KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I received a book with some restaurants recipes for these sorts of items. This was one of my favorite things before I went gluten free.

I modified this recipe to be gluten free and it was soooo good so I thought I would post it.

Outback Bloomin' Onion

Dipping sauce:

1/2 cup mayonnaise

2 teaspoons ketchup

2 tablespoons cream style horse radish

1/4 teaspoon paprika

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon dried oregano

dash of ground black pepper

dash cayenne pepper

Onion:

1 egg

1 cup milk

1 cup gluten free all purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon paprika

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

1/8 teaspoon dried thyme

1/8 teaspoon cumin

1 jumbo sweet yellow or white onion(3/4 pound or more)

Vegetable oil for frying

1.Prepare the dipping sauce by combining all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Keep covered in refrigerator until needed

2. Beat the egg and combine it with the milk in a medium bowl big enough to hold an onion

3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, peppers, paprika, oregano, thyme, and cumin

4. Now it's time to slice the onion(the trickiest step)

First slice off 3/4 of an inch to an inch off the top and bottom of the onion. Remove the papery skin. Use a thin knife to cut a 1 inch diameter core out of the middle of the onion. Now use a very sharp, large knife to slice the onion several times down the center to create the petals of the completed onion. First, slice through the center of the onion to about 3/4 of the way down. Turn the onion 90 degrees and slice it again in an "x" across the first slice. Keep slicing the sections in half, very carefully, until you've cut the onion 16 times. DO NOT CUT DOWN TO THE BOTTOM. The last 8 slices are a little tricky, just use a steady hand and don't worry if it doesn't look like a perfect flower..it will still taste good.

5. Spread the petals of the onion apart. The onion sections tend to stick together so you'll want to separate them to make coating easier. To help separate the petals put the onion into boiling water for a minute and then into cold water

6. Dip the onion into the milk mixture and then coat it liberally with the dry ingredients. Again, separate the petals and sprinkle the dry coating between them. Once your sure the onion is well coated, dip it back into the wet mixture and into the dry mixture. This double dipping makes sure you have a well coated onion because some of the coating tends to wash off when you fry it. Put the onion in the fridge for at least 15 minutes while you prepare the oil

7. Heat oil in a deep fryer or deep pot to 350 degrees. Make sure you use enough oil to completely cover the onion.

8. Fry the onion right side up in the oil for 10 minutes or until it turns brown

9. When the onion has browned , remove it from the oil and let it drain on a rack or paper towels

10. Open the onion wider from the center so that you can put the dipping sauce in the center.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I received a book with some restaurants recipes for these sorts of items.
:D

I didn't know that you get books like that! What other restaurants are in there?

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

It has the following restaurants and then some more:

Applebees

Chi Chis

Chilis

Cracker Barrel

Denny's

Hard Rock Cafe

IHOP

LoneStar

Marie Callenders

Olive Garden

Outback

Perkins

Planet Hollywood

Red Lobster

Ruby Tuesday

Shoneys

TGI Fridays

They have about 3-5 different recipes for items for each restaurant(I guess some items the companies are known for)

If anyone has something else they loved at one of these places let me know and I'll see if the recipe is in the book and if it is then I will post it

FYI-it is not a gluten free book so of course it needs to be modified to fit the gluten free standard

mommida Enthusiast

Has anyone tried the gluten free - gluten substitute product from Orgran?

it's labeled as...

gluten free

dairy free

yeast free

no MSG

no cane sugar added

vegan

Ingredients are

Superfine rice flour, pea extract, maize starch, potato starch, vegeetable derived gums & cellulose: guar gum, methylcellulose, carboxymethylcellulose, monoglycerides from vegetable.

L.

cdford Contributor

There is also a website with that kind of stuff, if only I could remember the URL for it. Also, the blooming onion recipe works much better if you soak the onion in ice water for a while first.

cdford Contributor

I also meant to mention that there is a tool for cutting the onion. Mine was a Christmas gift several years ago, but I have also seen them at the stores. One comes in a Vidalia onion recipe kit as well.

• 10 years later...
Csmdad Newbie

If you place the onion inside the screw on ring of a Mason or Ball jar, your knife will not slice all the way through the onion and it will speed up consistent cuts.

rsz_img_20160403_174315.webp

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived