4 replies to this topic

#1 Jonine73

Jonine73

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:57 PM

Does anyone know if La Costena chipotle peppers in adobo sauce are gluten free? The suspicious ingredient is "spices." Everything else looks fine.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jonine73

Jonine73

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:35 AM

Does anyone know if La Costena chipotle peppers in adobo sauce are gluten free? The suspicious ingredient is "spices." Everything else looks fine.

Update... I ate it and lived. :lol:

#3 BethJ

BethJ

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:01 AM

Update... I ate it and lived. :lol:

So glad you survived. :) I've used them and never had any problems. If you have some left over which I always do, they freeze nicely. I freeze them in an ice cube tray and the amount is usually just right for most recipes.
Beth in Florida

Gluten-free since 7/19/08
Alcohol free since 6/28/10

#4 SillyHats

SillyHats

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

This brand of Chipotles is NOT gluten free.  I contacted the manufacturer and they confirmed that they are not gluten free.  She suspicious ingredients are spices AND vinegar.  Vinegar is often made from grain, so it cannot be assumed that vinegar is safe.  You must have gotten lucky if this didn't make you sick.  I wouldn't chance it again.  ;)

#5 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:27 AM

This brand of Chipotles is NOT gluten free. I contacted the manufacturer and they confirmed that they are not gluten free. She suspicious ingredients are spices AND vinegar. Vinegar is often made from grain, so it cannot be assumed that vinegar is safe. You must have gotten lucky if this didn't make you sick. I wouldn't chance it again. ;)

I use them all the time - well... As much as I can.

Spices cannot, legally, hide a grain. Vinegar, except " malt vinegar" , is not a concern. Obviously they don't know what is gluten or they are being advised to make a CYA statement because they don't test for gluten. I don't have a link to the US rule about spices but you could google it. I know it's been linked to on c.com many times.

http://www.curecelia...-celiac-disease

Is vinegar safe for those with celiac disease?
Vinegar is a solution made of acetic acid and flavoring materials such as apples, grapes, grain and molasses. For example, cider vinegar is made from apple juice; malt vinegar is made from barley malt, Balsamic vinegar is made from grapes.
Distilled vinegars (including vinegars in foods and condiments) are gluten-free because the distillation process filters out the large gluten proteins so they do not pass through to the end product making the finished liquid gluten free.
Patients with celiac disease should not be concerned about distilled white vinegar or foods such as pickles, which may contain it. The exception to this rule is malt vinegar, which is not distilled, and therefore is not safe to consume.
Vinegar as defined by the US Food & Drug Administration:
Vinegar, Cider Vinegar, Apple Vinegar: made from juice of apples
Wine Vinegar, Grape Vinegar: made from juice of grapes
Malt Vinegar: infusion of barley malt or cereals that have been converted to malt
Spirit Vinegar, Distilled Vinegar, Grain Vinegar: dilute distilled alcohol

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: