121 replies to this topic

#16 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:41 AM

Rude or not, I do not hesitate to give people who make statements like this a "are you really that stupid" look, and am a bit sarcastic in my response.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:03 AM

There's no point in getting sarcastic. Yes, they really are that ignorant. My second cousin farms, and he got some new city-slicker neighbors down the road. They were him asking about vegetables because they couldn't figure out why their potato plants didn't have any fruit. They had no idea they had to dig them up! :lol:

#18 conniebky

conniebky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:05 AM

There's no point in getting sarcastic. Yes, they really are that ignorant. My second cousin farms, and he got some new city-slicker neighbors down the road. They were him asking about vegetables because they couldn't figure out why their potato plants didn't have any fruit. They had no idea they had to dig them up! :lol:

:o oh for the love of pete! :o
Be kind to each person that you meet, for everyone is fighting a great battle

#19 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:12 AM

:o oh for the love of pete! :o

Leave me out of it. ;)
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#20 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

that's why I say rude or not - I'm perfectly happy letting them know that I think they're morons for not knowing basics about food. (rude? arrogant? whichever. :P) certainly I won't advocate everyone does it, because I have annoyed people by doing it, but people not thinking about things that they would know if they thought for just a moment is kind of a pet peeve of mine. (and I realize that it's subjective. and it makes it all the more humorous when I get caught being a moron. :) )
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#21 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:54 AM

My big brother:

If people with celiac have stomach troubles, they should eat whole wheat and whole grain, everyone knows that is what keeps the digestive tract healthy.

OMG someone tweeted me today and said "Fiber is good for you, you need to eat more wheat!"

NO I DON'T!!
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#22 danaf617

danaf617

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:12 PM

I'm keeping tally on how many times my MIL is going to ask me if I can have Panko breadcrumbs. :rolleyes: Like "Panko" is a new type of crop or something that isn't wheat. :lol:

Also, I decided this week to give up dairy in addition to gluten. When I told her, her response was "My goodness, Dana! What ARE you going to eat?"

Me: "Um... Meat. Vegetables. Fruit. You know - food?"
dana
gi problems started 12/09
bloodwork: negative 3/10
enterolab: + for antibodies 6/10
gluten-free & DF 7/10 and eager to start feeling better!

#23 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:19 PM

The one that really got me upset was the woman who insisted she was feeding her toddler a gluten free diet while her toddler ate mostly cheerios for snacks.

Me: Cheerios have wheat in them.

Her: No they don't, they are oats.

Me: They have wheat starch listed in the ingredients and besides some celiacs react to oats.

Her: Well a little bit shouldn't hurt him. Afterall, the main ingredient is oats, not wheat. Besides cheerios are heart healthy, see it says so right on the box...blah, blah, blah...

Me: *Bangs head against wall and gives up.*
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#24 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:31 PM

Also, I decided this week to give up dairy in addition to gluten. When I told her, her response was "My goodness, Dana! What ARE you going to eat?"

Me: "Um... Meat. Vegetables. Fruit. You know - food?"

I have this same conversation repeatedly. Often it comes up when people ask why I can't go out to eat someplace. I usually only get halfway through my list of food I can't eat when they stop me and ask, "What CAN you eat? No seriously, what do you ate everyday?" When I tell them chicken, beef vegetables, fruit. It is inevitability followed by them saying how much they would rather die than have to eat like I do. :o
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#25 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,769 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:34 PM

The one that really got me upset was the woman who insisted she was feeding her toddler a gluten free diet while her toddler ate mostly cheerios for snacks.

Me: Cheerios have wheat in them.

Her: No they don't, they are oats.

Me: They have wheat starch listed in the ingredients and besides some celiacs react to oats.

Her: Well a little bit shouldn't hurt him. Afterall, the main ingredient is oats, not wheat. Besides cheerios are heart healthy, see it says so right on the box...blah, blah, blah...

Me: *Bangs head against wall and gives up.*

Poor kid. Hog tie her to a chair in front of a computer and make her read some info. Seriously though I would get her a few good articles on gluten and sit and read them with her.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#26 danaf617

danaf617

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:38 PM

When I tell them chicken, beef vegetables, fruit. It is inevitability followed by them saying how much they would rather die than have to eat like I do. :o

And sadly, they probably will die from eating the way they do... diets filled with pseudo-food. :(
When did it become such a crazy notion to eat whole, unprocessed foods?
dana
gi problems started 12/09
bloodwork: negative 3/10
enterolab: + for antibodies 6/10
gluten-free & DF 7/10 and eager to start feeling better!

#27 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,769 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:41 PM

Jerk. Good thing my hillbilly butt wasn't there when he said that to you.

Yea really, in my younger and more volatile prediagnosed days I would have backed him up to a wall and lit into him. I did have quite the temper then and little ole 100 lb me could back down even the biggest guy. Noone messed with me and as my ex used to say when my eyes spit fire it was time to walk away, real quick. Now you really have to work to get me mad. That guy came real close though.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#28 vbecton

vbecton

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:24 PM

I've had a few folks recently tell me that "a little wheat won't kill you." So, I've politely offered to eat the wheat, but ONLY if they would politely spend the night with me and read me stories while I spend an entire evening on the toilet with "D." While it may not kill me, they will most certainly want to die after an evening spent with me trying to de-gluten myself :P
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease, July 2010, after 20 years of chronic low blood sugar and GI issues. I blame undiagnosed Celiac Disease for not becoming a professional marathon runner and being such a pathetic athlete in college. I was robbed :)

Gluten Free 04/2010
Dairy Free 06/2010
Soy Free 05/2010
Legume Free 05/2010
Caffeine Free 05/2007

#29 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:08 PM

I've had a few folks recently tell me that "a little wheat won't kill you." So, I've politely offered to eat the wheat, but ONLY if they would politely spend the night with me and read me stories while I spend an entire evening on the toilet with "D." While it may not kill me, they will most certainly want to die after an evening spent with me trying to de-gluten myself :P

I would respond that a little bit of e.coli in their food (probably) won't kill them either, but would they eat something they knew had e.coli and would give them symptoms of food poisoning? People need to understand that it's not like this is just a fad health diet, were we can eat gluten "in moderation". Gluten is the same thing as poison to us.

#30 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:10 PM

I would respond that a little bit of e.coli in their food (probably) won't kill them either, but would they eat something they knew had e.coli and would give them symptoms of food poisoning? People need to understand that it's not like this is just a fad health diet, were we can eat gluten "in moderation". Gluten is the same thing as poison to us.

I have one of those friends who picks and chooses as far as gluten-free. She knows she gets sick if she eats a lot of wheat but apparently she's not sensitive enough that she can't have a cookie here or there. She's celiac negative and probably just a little allergic.

To her credit, she did bring a wonderful gluten-free pasta salad to my pot luck along with some normal wheat cookies for all the glutenoids. It was good and made carefully enough that I did not get CC'd. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: