121 replies to this topic

#76 cassP

cassP

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:47 PM

I liked when I went into starbucks right by me and explained that I couldn't have gluten, and I wanted a carmel apple cider. Could they help me look at the ingredients and determine if it was safe? She picks up the bottle of carmel sauce and reads off the ingredients, and pauses after "natural and artificial flavors." "Well, natural flavors are at least ok!" she offers brightly. "Wheat is very natural." I respond back just as brightly (and slightly sarcasticly). I settled for a cup of tea.

im new to the 100% gluten free... question- do we ALWAYS have to avoid "natural flavors" & "artificial flavors" ?? it's EVERYWHERE :( still confused on that one.

and.. LOVE David Sedaris :D
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#77 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:16 AM

im new to the 100% gluten free... question- do we ALWAYS have to avoid "natural flavors" & "artificial flavors" ?? it's EVERYWHERE :( still confused on that one.

and.. LOVE David Sedaris :D

Artifical flavors are not ususally a concern. I always check with natural flavors to be on the safe side.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#78 butterfl8

butterfl8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:37 AM

Turns out the syrups (at that time) at Starbucks were ok. But now thier frappaccinos are no longer safe. At least the regular ones, not sure about the light, but the risk of CC there? Scary! I ban them now on principle.
Shelly Case's book, Gluten Free Diet, is an amazing resource for questions on ingredients, grains, nutrition, and quite frankly, sanity. My support group was lucky enough to have her come in and speak to us, which happened to be when I was about 4 months post diagnoses. After that, I felt like I could handle this. (she's on facebook too)

And yes, David Sedaris is GREAT!!! :P

I LOVE this thread!
-Daisy
I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
--David Sedaris

#79 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:16 AM

While "natural flavors" can contain gluten, they very rarely actually do. The most likely source would be barley malt, and that is a relatively expensive ingredient, so it is usually explicitly declared as "malt flavor."

If there were wheat in it, in the US it would be required by law to be disclosed as just that, "wheat."

Shelly Case on flavorings:

It would be rare to find a "natural or artificial flavoring" containing gluten (a) because hydrolyzed wheat protein cannot be hidden under the term "flavor." and (b) barley malt extract is almost always declared as "barley malt extract" or "barley malt flavoring." For this reason, most experts do not restrict natural and artificial flavorings in the gluten-free diet.

Gluten-Free Diet - A Comprehensive Resource Guide, published 2008, page 46

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#80 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:25 AM

thanku everyone for the info!

daisy- i called Starbucks recently- the LIGHT frapps have Gluten in the ingredients.... the REG frapps do not- BUT she said: "made in a facility that also processes wheat"-

i got a green tea frap yesterday... but cant always digest milk... was not a good idea :(
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#81 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:55 AM

thanku everyone for the info!

daisy- i called Starbucks recently- the LIGHT frapps have Gluten in the ingredients.... the REG frapps do not- BUT she said: "made in a facility that also processes wheat"-

i got a green tea frap yesterday... but cant always digest milk... was not a good idea :(

Even if the regular frapps were processed in a gluten free facility I would recommend avoiding them. I used to work at a coffee house and we did not wash the blenders thoroughly in between customers. We just rinsed them well and went on to the next drink. So if the person before you got a LIGHT Frapp and you got regular, there could be residue from the light frapp still in the blender blades or any scratches in the plastic blender base.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#82 Aphreal

Aphreal

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:22 AM

These are great LOL.

The one that upset me the most was when we were at Football. I bring my own food. Usually tuna or watermelon, my trusty rice crisps.... Ok so the coaches wife looks at me and says.."Everytime I see you, your eating something!" It really hurt my feelings. What I typically do is feed the family then bring my own fruit and crackers to the practice. What is funny is she is twice my size and she is talking to ME about overeating? I asked her if she actually paid attention to what I am eating which is all healthy stuff.

Others...

I asked about gluten in something and after much reading, I was told yes, it had gluten because it had 'corn syrup' in it.

Went to marble slab and asked if the SF yogurt had gluten or gluten containing fillers. "No mam, it's sugar free." I said..."sugar is not wheat" and he responded..."oh well umm, whats that?"

Ok never mind lol. And Marble slab is supposed to hae a gluten-free list. Even the manager had no clue what I was talking about.
Started exhibiting symptoms 1979
DXed IBS 1987
Self Dx Gluten sensitive via elimination diet July 2010
Gluten free since July 12 2010
Carb&Sugar light August 2010
experimenting with being Grain light

#83 ilookthetype

ilookthetype

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:57 PM

I just read the above post about eggs not being dairy too and was asking myself this same question! I won't think of eggs as dairy anymore though, now that I have a visual of a big cow laying an egg.... It's funny. I don't even know why I thought eggs were dairy. :blink: At least I know that wheat is wheat, and bread is made of wheat!

I'm going to go ahead and blame it on the vegans, (don't eat dairy, eggs, wear wool...) and really, who eats eggs without some dairy in them... the two belong together...

I was vegan for a VERY brief while and was often asked if I could wear cotton. My responses generally involved a lot of blink and a slow smile while I waited for them to figure it out...and often they didn't. :blink:
Gluten Intolerant 07/10, who knew that wheat didn't make everyone sick...

Run Mad as often as you choose but do not faint. (Fanny Price)

"Its a sacred time when two roommates nap together."

#84 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:41 PM

I think this is the reason people roll their eyes :rolleyes: , when other people have carried things to ignorant extremes and screwed up the pitch for the rest of us who do, perhaps, know what we are talking about. To not wear wool when it is shorn from a sheep which does not hurt it at all (and which incidentally needs to get rid of all that wool), or for people to think that we shouldn't pick the cotton.... it just doesn't even bear thinking about. But I do like the cows laying eggs analogy :lol: . Now if you really want to be an ovolactovegetarian, go ahead, but let's keep things straight; you can even be a pescatarian if that's what floats your boat, but does a pescatarian wear wool??? :blink: I can see not wearing fish scales or chicken feathers - but do you have to rest your head on a polyester pillow?

Sorry, it is late at night and the brain tends to run away a little...... Hope I have not offended anyone with these ramblings. Not intended.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#85 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:27 AM

I was wondering about a store sample once. It was yogurt on which they put granola. The yogurt was gluten-free, but the granola wasn't. The guy said that it couldn't contain gluten because it was organic. Then I pointed out the wheat on the label. Then he told me that the gluten wouldn't harm me because it hadn't developed. Why would someone say something like that? What if I had listened to him and ate it anyway?

#86 i-geek

i-geek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:36 AM

I was wondering about a store sample once. It was yogurt on which they put granola. The yogurt was gluten-free, but the granola wasn't. The guy said that it couldn't contain gluten because it was organic. Then I pointed out the wheat on the label. Then he told me that the gluten wouldn't harm me because it hadn't developed. Why would someone say something like that? What if I had listened to him and ate it anyway?

In my experience, the people handing out samples usually don't have a clue what they're handing out beyond the name of the product, a couple of descriptions of the taste, and basic prep instructions. Likely that guy had never heard of gluten before you brought it up and probably assumed it was an artificial additive. I'm betting his manager would have been just as clueless. *sigh* Why are such ignorant people allowed to control our food supply?

#87 sandiz

sandiz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:20 AM

I have a couple of ones that make the eyes roll every time.

My co workers and hubby's co workers, "that must be awful, I couldn't live without bread." or "must be hard to find something to eat"

Family members, "once you are better you can eat bread again right?"

Gets tiring telling people what I eat. Rice, potato, veg, steak, prawns, chicken etc. They are amazed that it is gluten free.

#88 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:23 AM

These are great LOL.

The one that upset me the most was when we were at Football. I bring my own food. Usually tuna or watermelon, my trusty rice crisps.... Ok so the coaches wife looks at me and says.."Everytime I see you, your eating something!"

some people are so insensitive! after years spent not eating ever, I think I would say, 'thank you. and how are you doing on YOUR diet?' and look very concerned :) probly hard to do with a straight face :D

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#89 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:37 AM

some people are so insensitive! after years spent not eating ever, I think I would say, 'thank you. and how are you doing on YOUR diet?' and look very concerned :) probly hard to do with a straight face :D

After the description of the aforementioned person I think that is a perfect response. :D
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#90 crimsonviolet

crimsonviolet

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:38 PM

I went to IHOP with a friend who is supposed to be on a gluten-free/cf diet for her daughter, who has mild Autism and is still nursing. On the way there we were talking about the evils of wheat and I showed her the DH breakout I was having on my arm on the way to our table. The waitress saw it and said OMG what's wrong? I told her it was an allergic reaction to wheat. "Well I guess you shouldn't eat the whole wheat pancakes!"

Then the kicker! My friend asks the waitress, "Do the regular pancakes have ww flour in them or just white flour?" I jokingly reminded her that white flour has wheat in it too, and she said "Oh really? OMG I didn't even think about that." She then ordered and ate pancakes.

We also had a brief discussion about hidden wheat (IHOP uses pancake mix in their scrambled eggs to make them fluffy) and cross contamination, which she'd never heard of.

To her credit, her daughter is doing much better on the diet even with the apparent occasional wheat exposure. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: