121 replies to this topic

#91 kayo

kayo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:33 PM

I walked into Sephora to read some labels on products I had at home but no longer had the packaging for. Unfortunately the print was so small I couldn't read the ingredients anyways. :(

Knowing I would probably not get accurate information I asked the manager which of the products were gluten free. I was curious how the question would be handled and if there would be a modicum of accurate information dispensed. Without acknowledging me or looking up from her task she said, all of the X items (I forget the brand she said) are all natural and therefore gluten free. I turned and walked out of the store.

I have since bought a credit card shaped magnifying 'glass' that fits in my wallet so I can read the small print myself.
40 year old former foodie on a quest to feel better!

-IgE to oats and rye
-Diagnosed with Colitis via endoscopy/colonoscopy Oct '10
-Following FODMAP diet since June '10, Positve SIBO test, July '10
-Diagnosed non-celiac gluten intolerant June '10 (celiac in March '10, endocsocopy in Oct '10 shows no signs of celiac)
-Osteopenia June '10
-Gluten free since July '09 & Soy free since December '09
-Dairy free since '06
-IBS & Sjogren's diagnosed '05
-RA diagnosed as a toddler

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#92 missceliac2010

missceliac2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:28 PM

I walked into Sephora ...Without acknowledging me or looking up from her task she said, all of the X items (I forget the brand she said) are all natural and therefore gluten free. I turned and walked out of the store. I have since bought a credit card shaped magnifying 'glass' that fits in my wallet so I can read the small print myself.

This just irks me! In this economy, the fact that stores like Sephora are even still alive is amazing to me! They are expensive, and then to add bad service on top....who would buy their stuff? I feel like bad customer service is like a disease lately in retail. I am a struggling new teacher, who can't find a job in this terrible economy. The school districts are laying off teachers and increasing class sizes, not taking a chance on a fresh newly minted excited history teacher who is ready to school the teenagers of the United States with the utmost enthusiasm. The fact that anyone has a job is something to celebrate! I don't know, that's just my two cents. :0)

I'm sorry you had this experience. I too have learned to just help myself in any retail environment. Asking for help is simply not going to get you anywhere. Of course, if I could afford to shop at places like Nordstroms, perhaps someone would kiss my booty and help me, but I can't afford that, so I have to stick to the Ross and Target's of the world! This turned into a rant. Sorry ... LOL! I'm not usually this negative, I swear!
Heather C.
July, 2010: Diagnosed with Celiac Disease via elimination diet and strong Lactose Intolerance via blood work. My symptoms of glutening include 1. extreme abdominal distention, 2. severe abdominal pain, 3. gas, 4. mood swings/generally negative and unpleasant to be around!

#93 Marz

Marz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:15 AM

The one that upset me the most was when we were at Football. I bring my own food. Usually tuna or watermelon, my trusty rice crisps.... Ok so the coaches wife looks at me and says.."Everytime I see you, your eating something!" It really hurt my feelings.

Well you're probably making her feel guilty eating her unhealthy donuts and hotdogs :P I find a lot of hurtful comments are from people feeling insecure about their own dietary choices and perhaps lack of willpower in cutting down on the carbs ;)

Don't feel bad, I bring a lunchbox to work and snack the *whole* day, I'm continuously hungry nowadays. Beats having zero appetite pre-gluten-free! :D
Feb 2010 - Start of continuous GIT problems and panic attacks
July 2010 - Blood and biopsy -ve, went gluten free after testing which completely relieved symptoms
July 2011 - 1 year gluten free, food intolerances (Chicken, eggs, olives, goat milk) gone!

2012 - Soy no longer a problem
Gluten intolerant

#94 precious831

precious831

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

Here's one from my neighbor's mom:

Her: Oh here's a sandwich for your little girl(who is gluten-intolerant, not sure if she has celiac).

Me: Oh no thanks she can't have wheat. She's allergic(I say that because it's easier to understand, or so I thought).

Her: Oh it's ok this got no wheat.

Me: yes it does.

Her: It's bread, no wheat.

Me: Ummm(trying to be polite), wheat is in the bread! The flour used is wheat, unless it says gluten-free.

So then her eyes glazed over. Probably no clue what gluten is).
Grain-free,dairy-free, soy-free (celiac, possible colitis now as well).
Extremely allergic to shellfish, Aspirin & Ibuprofen

#95 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:59 PM

I was wondering about a store sample once. It was yogurt on which they put granola. The yogurt was gluten-free, but the granola wasn't. The guy said that it couldn't contain gluten because it was organic. Then I pointed out the wheat on the label. Then he told me that the gluten wouldn't harm me because it hadn't developed. Why would someone say something like that? What if I had listened to him and ate it anyway?

I was told by a celiac health food owner that sprouted wheat was okay. Why? It was sprouted so it was now something else. This was when my daughter was first diagnosed. I bought something with sprouted wheat. Can't remember now if it was tortillas or bread. Soon after eating the stuff, daughter got sick.

The Dr. who diagnosed her actually told me to give her spelt instead of wheat. Same thing happened. She got sick! I now know that not only is spelt a form of wheat but that she is allergic to both things.

#96 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:04 PM

I have a couple of ones that make the eyes roll every time.

My co workers and hubby's co workers, "that must be awful, I couldn't live without bread." or "must be hard to find something to eat"

Family members, "once you are better you can eat bread again right?"

Gets tiring telling people what I eat. Rice, potato, veg, steak, prawns, chicken etc. They are amazed that it is gluten free.

The other day on one of the newsgroups I frequent, a woman who always acts like she is an expert on everything said that celiac can go away. I asked her for a cite. As I thought, she posted no cite. I don't think there is one.

But I too get sick of the comments about "What *can* you eat?" Or, "I could never follow that diet!"

I can remember getting upset when daughter was first diagnosed. She had two back to back dance recitals to be in with about an hour break in between. At that point we hadn't yet found a gluten-free bread that she liked. Or really even found good meals that she liked. I commented to one of the other mothers that I didn't know what I could bring her for lunch. She told me that they just sent out for pizza. When I told her she couldn't eat pizza because she was allergic to wheat, gluten and dairy, she replied... "Couldn't you make an exception just this once?"

I then replied to her... "Yeah. If I don't want her to dance. Cuz if I did that she'd spend the next hour or more in the bathroom getting sick!" I later found out that this person is a kindergarten teacher. Scary!

#97 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,657 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:56 PM

I went in one of those "discount" hair care products store to find a new shampoo. The company of the shampoo had sent me some suggestions but I wanted to read the ingredients just to be sure. The price tag was stuck on the ingredients on every bottle. I got a manager and said I needed to read the ingredients to see if I could have it. Asked me what I couldn't have and I said wheat. She pulled the sticker off, read it in her head and said, " this should be fine. No wheat.". And started to take it to the register for me to pay. I said I wanted to look at the ingredients and she looked at me like I was nuts. The shampoo was fine buy still... I have been in stores where they will read the ingredients out loud so I can make a decision.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#98 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:35 PM

This just irks me! In this economy, the fact that stores like Sephora are even still alive is amazing to me! They are expensive, and then to add bad service on top....who would buy their stuff?

I've only been to Sephora once, but the gal working asked my dd if she wanted to try some makeup on. I told her no, because of gluten, blah, blah, blah... She said, "Oh, let me show you all the gluten-free stuff we have!" I was shocked! Her SIL happened to have celiac as well, so she knew everything about all the products, and dd was more than happy to be her guinea pig ;) Soooooo, if you're ever at the Vancouver (Washington) mall, check it out :)

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#99 missceliac2010

missceliac2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

I've only been to Sephora once, but the gal working asked my dd if she wanted to try some makeup on. I told her no, because of gluten, blah, blah, blah... She said, "Oh, let me show you all the gluten-free stuff we have!" I was shocked! Her SIL happened to have celiac as well, so she knew everything about all the products, and dd was more than happy to be her guinea pig ;) Soooooo, if you're ever at the Vancouver (Washington) mall, check it out :)

So glad you had a good experience! I have noticed that you will find the occasional "island" where someone has a "friend, family member, etc" who has Celiac. I got very lucky and my DOCTOR was one of those rare islands! His daughter has Celiac, so instead of knowing little and/or being ignorant on the subject, he had a wealth of information! He went into this whole thing about how they were about to go on vacation in Hawaii, and he and his wife had been calling around to local restaurants to see if they can accommodate gluten free! I mean, this guy knew his stuff! I love my doctor! Yay me! But unfortunately, more often than not, I get the deer in the headlights look when I say gluten free or allergic to wheat. Hopefully all of the press that the Clinton daughter is giving the disease will bring it into the spotlight. Fingers crossed. :)
Heather C.
July, 2010: Diagnosed with Celiac Disease via elimination diet and strong Lactose Intolerance via blood work. My symptoms of glutening include 1. extreme abdominal distention, 2. severe abdominal pain, 3. gas, 4. mood swings/generally negative and unpleasant to be around!

#100 danaf617

danaf617

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

I love Sephora! Just went this week for a gluten-free lip gloss. (As well as paraben-free, sulfate-free, petro-chemical-free, fragrance-free, free of pthalates, no GMO's, no PPG's, no MEA, DEA, TEA's, formaldehyde-free, and triclosan-free.)
Got some natural deodorant too. :)
dana
gi problems started 12/09
bloodwork: negative 3/10
enterolab: + for antibodies 6/10
gluten-free & DF 7/10 and eager to start feeling better!

#101 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:01 AM

I saw a sign today advertising for a homemade specialty bread store. I scanned the list of what they make to see if they had any gluten free bread. No such luck, but the last product they listed was "Spelt bread for people with Wheat allergies" :o
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#102 i-geek

i-geek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:02 PM

I saw a sign today advertising for a homemade specialty bread store. I scanned the list of what they make to see if they had any gluten free bread. No such luck, but the last product they listed was "Spelt bread for people with Wheat allergies" :o

Depending on what allergenic protein a wheat-allergic person reacts to, spelt might be safe. At least they didn't suggest it as safe for celiacs.

#103 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:11 PM

Depending on what allergenic protein a wheat-allergic person reacts to, spelt might be safe. At least they didn't suggest it as safe for celiacs.

Really? I thought Spelt was just another (older) form of wheat. I thought I saw someone with a wheat allergy post here that they reacted to spelt, so I guess that's where I got confused. Thanks for the info.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#104 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,684 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:19 PM

Really? I thought Spelt was just another (older) form of wheat. I thought I saw someone with a wheat allergy post here that they reacted to spelt, so I guess that's where I got confused. Thanks for the info.

Actually I think you are right. Spelt is wheat and I do think someone allergic to or intolerant to wheat would react. But I could of course be wrong.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#105 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:42 PM

Depending on what allergenic protein a wheat-allergic person reacts to, spelt might be safe.

This is the way I understand it too. Some people with a wheat allergy can use spelt.

Of course, that does not hold true for Celiacs :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: