Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

"glutened" For First Time

12 posts in this topic

So I've been on the gluten free diet for a little over a month now. I'm still working on getting a solid diagnosis because some of my test results were skewed by mistake. Anyway, overall I feel like I haven't improved much but I must have been making some gradual improvement and just wasn't really aware because I woke up this morning feeling HORRIBLE! I had dinner at my parents house last night and knew the food was safe- my mom is 110% supportive of this with me and knows the ins and outs of my new diet so it really didn't occur to me what had happened. Anyway, I made it up and got to work anyway. My main symptom (even since starting the gluten free diet) is severe exhaustion which fluctuates from day to day- it must have been improving slightly though. I could barely move today I was tired. I came home at lunch and slept. By this afternoon I was feeling super bloated/ gassy/ intestinal cramping (which I only ever had issues with sometimes), extremely dizzy and lightheaded, headache, and the tips of my fingers were numb and tingly. I'm feeling itchy all over now, too.

I started to think about everything I ate at my mom's, listing ingredients in my head, and then it hit me. I put seasoning on my vegetables. I thought- there is no way the seasoning had gluten in it! Well I decided to call my mom and have her look at the ingredients for me and sure enough! Says "contains wheat gluten" in bold letters. I cannot believe I didn't read the ingredients! I don't normally put seasoning on things, but it was there in front of me I just sprinkled a bit on without thinking much of it. I have certainly learned my lesson, but honestly this really confirms things for me. I have my first appt. with a GI doctor in a couple of weeks- we'll see how that goes.

Anyway, just wanted to say thank you for this great board, it has been so much help to me! I know now to read every single label, every time, even on things that seem harmless. I hope this passes quickly so I can get back to feeling at least semi- okay by the time I have to go back to work tomorrow. It is nearly impossible to function when I feel this fatigued; I don't even feel safe driving.

Ads by Google:

I've been gluten free for 6 1/2 years and I can't count how many times this has happened to me. One week, I was on a garlic bread kick...I had my Against the Grain bread, butter spread and McCormick's garlic bread powder....little did I know that had bread crumbs in it!!! Seasonings can be very tricky!! I hope you feel better

Yah, I hear you. Mine was bottled bbq sauce. I was so careful -- we had steak (with just some salt and pepper), baked potato, and corn on the cob. No gluten anywhere in sight. So why didn't I think to read the bottle of bbq sauce? Who knows... my only excuse was that I'd only been at this diet for a few weeks. oy..

Hope you feel better soon.

I have been gluten free since only June and was not

sure if i was feeling any better until i was making Lipton soup for my girls and accidentaly sipped soup off the spoon to see if it was done yet.

As soon as i did it i realized my mistake and could not believe i had been so

unaware of my own actions. But when your kids are running around the house and your trying to get them dinner ready you can get a little razzled. It took about two days but i defintetly felt the effects. I hope i will not make this mistake again

but i probably will. Everyday i get a little better at this and the better i get at keeping gluten free the better i feel and the more careful i am the more days i have of feeling good. Today i feel great and that is an accomplishment.

Here we are over 3 days later and I still feel horrendous! How long does this typically last for? I am so uncomfortable. :(

For me the worst is usually over after 3-4 days. It's a few more days after that before I'm feeling back to normal. Hopefully you'll start feeling better quite soon.

I had something (not sure what) in the last 24 hours, woke up with my rash, dicky tummy. Went to work feeling like hell then got lost and confused going to see a patient!!!! Had to come home as felt horrendous, couldnt concentrate felt steamrollered and went to bed!! :o So you are not on your own. It's one year since diagnosis. Havent been glutened for a couple of months and this happens!! Big reminder not to get complacent!

Thank you guys for all replying to me. It's good to know I am not just "over-reacting" or anything and there are others who feel like I do.

Your screen name sounds familiar from another board.

Anyway it takes like 5 days or so for me, depending on what I ate. I'm kind of sensitive. I feel horrible and have the GI and rashes as well, headaches, brainfog, swelling of joints.

Feel better soon!

I have been gluten-free since March 2010. I have been glutened twice while eating dinner out and each time I when I looked at the meal (broiled fish, steamed veggies) I just had a funny feeling that something wasn't quite right and it wasn't! I am trying to learn to listen to my internal self and not be quite so afraid to make a fuss if i suspect the meal i ordered isn't right.

Don't worry, it happens to all of us. I've been gluten-free for just over a month now, and it's a case of feeling great for a few days, accidently getting glutened, feeling crap for a few more days, and the cycle starts all over again. Each time I just ID what I did wrong, add it to my watch list and continue.

Most mistakes are from "spontaneous" things I've eaten, like just having some chips off my DH's plate, or accepting some sweet/chocolate/unknown coffee from a family member or friend. Was particularly upset with the coffee - who the hell puts wheat protein in coffee? Cheap-skate coffee brands :(

The last one was rice crackers that didn't state anything about "traces of gluten" or being made in a factory that manufacters wheat. I should've known that doesn't mean it's safe, and I know the manufacturer makes wheat products, so I definately got some CC there. Even "Gluten-free" cookies can make me ill.

So now I've decided - food is fuel, for now I'm only eating safe food I've prepared, or treats I know are safe (PB and rice cakes that I don't react to, for example). The aim is zero tolerance to gluten, but I don't beat myself up if I slip up, my body does that already, don't need to add to the misery :P

we eat to live,we don't live to eat. I'm ok with that most of the time...however .... some days I still want to stamp my feet like a kid and want to eat what I want to eat. Then I remember how sick I was. lol Hard to relearn almost 60 years of eating.

And what do you mean coffee?? I know that flavored coffees are not ok, but regular coffee??