This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bloated After Going gluten-free?

ToriMartin

ToriMartin Apprentice

I only went gluten-free a few weeks ago & very new to the board. Anyhow, I am used to be bloated, weight gain, water retention, poor circulation... Just to name a few... But being gluten-free I thought these things would be better by now...

Today I noticed I am REALLY bloated! I actually look pregnant! I can't be... I am on BC & getting my periods... Anyhow, what is up with that? Is it normal after going gluten-free? Do you think I eat something I shouldn't of? ugh...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

WheatChef Apprentice

Yes, going gluten-free should greatly alleviate these problems for you if a gluten sensitivity is your only problem. So, the situations with highest probability are that you're either not being totally gluten-free (not at all uncommon in the beginning, it's rough to adjust perfectly) or that a gluten sensitivity isn't your real problem or at least not your only problem.

Check sources of contamination, throw out those crap processed foods and start looking for additional possible intolerances.

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Very normal to be bloated when first starting out. You could be eating trace amounts of gluten, dairy bloats me also. You could be going through withdrawals and your system is just screwed up. It takes a while for things to straighten out.

So, just hang in there and try to be patient.

Vicky

Looking for answers Contributor

I continued to be bloated until recently when a allergy test came back and showed an allergy to egg white (damn!). I cut those out then noticed it got better, but not perfect. Recently I tried cutting out psyllium husks, and viola!, I finally have a flat tummy - first time in my life.

Keep playing with your diet and keep a food journal. For me, it took 3-4 days for the bloating to go away after eliminating these foods. Also, a good probiotic may help you as well.

ToriMartin Apprentice

Thank You everyone :)

I found another food list of things to avoid. I had some lunch meat on my salad & I'm wondering if there was gluten in it. I read the ingredients & everything... But maybe I missed something?

I eat a piece of hard candy tonight & feeling bloated & alittle crampy right away. What on earth is in hard candy hat could do that?

It seems like anytime I try to eat something, I get a reaction. What on earth can we eat?

I don't buy prepackaged foods... I like to make stuff from scratch. I'm at a loss for ideas. We make a lot of Meat & veggies for dinner around here so that's not uncommon... But for other foods? I get tired of the same stuff...

RiceGuy Collaborator

If you are eating dairy, try avoiding that for awhile, and see what happens. Recently I've found that a digestive enzyme supplement helps reduce bloating. Omega-3s and antioxidants may help too.

ToriMartin Apprentice

If you are eating dairy, try avoiding that for awhile, and see what happens. Recently I've found that a digestive enzyme supplement helps reduce bloating. Omega-3s and antioxidants may help too.

I went on a 5 day Gluten Free, Milk Free, Sugar Free diet which was my breakthrough. I introduced dairy & my IBS came right back. So I've been very careful with that...

What is a good digestive enzyme? I'm taking Apple Cider Vinager, Omega 3, Multivitamin (Gluten free), D3, Not Acidophiles but the good bacteria pills... Forget what it's called... & I think that's it... Well, & my Thyroid pills... I have also been drinking Green Tea... What else could I do?

I have decided to "buckle Down" even more to make sure I don't eat something I shouldn't... I am only eating meat, veggies & fruit... Oh, & my corn chips (gluten free)... But I seem to crave some carbs...

I feel like the water retention & bloating is what is causing my weight issues & poor circulation... Do you think it'll get better soon?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

I went on a 5 day Gluten Free, Milk Free, Sugar Free diet which was my breakthrough. I introduced dairy & my IBS came right back. So I've been very careful with that...

What is a good digestive enzyme? I'm taking Apple Cider Vinager, Omega 3, Multivitamin (Gluten free), D3, Not Acidophiles but the good bacteria pills... Forget what it's called... & I think that's it... Well, & my Thyroid pills... I have also been drinking Green Tea... What else could I do?

I have decided to "buckle Down" even more to make sure I don't eat something I shouldn't... I am only eating meat, veggies & fruit... Oh, & my corn chips (gluten free)... But I seem to crave some carbs...

I feel like the water retention & bloating is what is causing my weight issues & poor circulation... Do you think it'll get better soon?

After some research, I found that the best digestive enzymes to get are the kind derived from microbes. They can apparently withstand the acidity of the stomach, so they can still function when they get into the intestines. Also, many formulas lack a number of enzyme types, so the more complete the formula is, the more likely it should be to have the ones you may need. NOW Foods and Doctor's Best both make some which I think are worth considering. The one from NOW Foods is called Digest Platinum. There are other formulas out there, but these seemed to fit what I was looking for. You should look around before making your selection.

Corn is a top allergen. Perhaps you should try avoiding it for a while, and see how you feel.

Magnesium improves circulation, amongst its many benefits. And although your multi probably has some, chances are it isn't much. The RDI is around 400mg. Some people need quite a bit more than that though.

ToriMartin Apprentice

After some research, I found that the best digestive enzymes to get are the kind derived from microbes. They can apparently withstand the acidity of the stomach, so they can still function when they get into the intestines. Also, many formulas lack a number of enzyme types, so the more complete the formula is, the more likely it should be to have the ones you may need. NOW Foods and Doctor's Best both make some which I think are worth considering. The one from NOW Foods is called Digest Platinum. There are other formulas out there, but these seemed to fit what I was looking for. You should look around before making your selection.

Corn is a top allergen. Perhaps you should try avoiding it for a while, and see how you feel.

Magnesium improves circulation, amongst its many benefits. And although your multi probably has some, chances are it isn't much. The RDI is around 400mg. Some people need quite a bit more than that though.

Thank You :)I like the NOW Brand

I think you are right. I should stay away from corn. It's just been so easy to crave. We are in a little town so hard to shop Gluten Free.Plus, with 4 kids $ is always tight. I try to buy allot of fruits & veggies but have a hard time buying myself gluten free stuff. So, making do with what I can find around here.

I have been wondering about Magnesium... I have been taking 250mg but wondered if it was enough...

I am sticking to the "Cave Man" diet. One problem I have is that I am used to preparing all foods here. We don't eat prepared foods, not even fast food. So when I cook, I cook for us all. It's hard making my family food then myself. Time is so tight here... It's after 2pm here & I just eat breakfast... I just get so busy, nothing sounds good, & I hate stopping to cook. We raise Poultry so I'm really busy on our farm. You'd think that as busy as I am I'd have a hard time keeping weight on... It feels like water retention though... I can't help but think if I could look some of that I'd lose weight fast...

Just a thought to keep in mind...

Not all bloating is diet related. Hormones, mineral imbalances, thyroid problems can cause it too.

Having said that, I did find that my source was diet related. It took 5 years to figure out I was allergic to egg whites. I never had a single GI issue eating them, but my doctor ran a blood test and my antibodies were through the roof. Once I eliminated them my stomach puffiness improve greatly and my mysterious early morning stuffiness went away as well.

Also, while it may seem contradictory, be sure you do take in plenty of sodium (not processed salts). Many of us on whole food diets tend not to get enough. I eat a lot of sea veggies and add Himalayan sea salts to my food on occasion.

I would do some research into Adrenal Fatigue, which often goes hand in hand with gluten intolerance. You are presenting many symptoms I once had, which got much better after treatment. Just another thought ;)

Kelly&Mom Rookie

I was tested because my daughter was positive, really didn't have major stomach symptoms at the time but once I started eating gluten-free, I developed stomach issues, mainly bloating...... made me feel like I was going crazy but 5 months in and that is going away plus I've lost about 10 lbs from all the non-consumed carbs!! Can't beat that :)

Are your kids being tested? I think you mentioned eczema? If so, my daughter has had eczema since she was about 3 wks old. Guess what? It's gone..........

ToriMartin Apprentice

I would do some research into Adrenal Fatigue, which often goes hand in hand with gluten intolerance. You are presenting many symptoms I once had, which got much better after treatment. Just another thought ;)

How do you test for Adrenal Fatigue? Also, how do you fix it?

I haven't actually been tested. Well, I had a Celiac test which was negative so I figure Gluten Intolerance. Everything makes sence now... But my Dr bills are crazy & I've had no hep so I don't want to see another Dr...

How do you test for Adrenal Fatigue? Also, how do you fix it?

I haven't actually been tested. Well, I had a Celiac test which was negative so I figure Gluten Intolerance. Everything makes sence now... But my Dr bills are crazy & I've had no hep so I don't want to see another Dr...

A naturopath diagnosed me, but an endocrinologist or a primary care physician should be able to run the tests. My cortisol levels were super low. My symptoms included: bloating, fatigue, PMS, dizziness upon standing, not feeling refreshed despite how much sleep I got, urinating often, sluggish digestion, etc. Doc told me to quit exercising for 6 months to allow my body to rest, we worked on stress techniques and he supplemented me with two different hormones and liquid vitamins during this time. All of the above issues resolved, except I still get dizzy on occassion if I work out and sweat really hard.

I was told that the adrenals are the control center for all hormones and when they're fatigue it will cause all other hormones to get out of whack. My thyroid has been in the normal range since treatment.

BTW, you can order your own test online I believe. There are many free resources online about AF, so you may be able to self-treat if you think it's a problem. Taking the right supplements and ensuring your body is well rested in all aspects (physically and mentally) works well to overcome it.

BTW, just re-read your post. Give the diet at least a few months before doing anything else. It takes a while for your body to re-regulate. Also, be careful of eating gluten-free processed foods. They are often full of flours that cause more problems, at least for me.

But probably the most important thing I overlooked in your post is that you're taking BC pills. They caused all the symptoms you described when I took them. They alter your hormones and trick your body into thinking it's pregnant, so naturally for many, they also make you look like it. :blink:

ToriMartin Apprentice

A naturopath diagnosed me, but an endocrinologist or a primary care physician should be able to run the tests. My cortisol levels were super low. My symptoms included: bloating, fatigue, PMS, dizziness upon standing, not feeling refreshed despite how much sleep I got, urinating often, sluggish digestion, etc. Doc told me to quit exercising for 6 months to allow my body to rest, we worked on stress techniques and he supplemented me with two different hormones and liquid vitamins during this time. All of the above issues resolved, except I still get dizzy on occassion if I work out and sweat really hard.

I was told that the adrenals are the control center for all hormones and when they're fatigue it will cause all other hormones to get out of whack. My thyroid has been in the normal range since treatment.

BTW, you can order your own test online I believe. There are many free resources online about AF, so you may be able to self-treat if you think it's a problem. Taking the right supplements and ensuring your body is well rested in all aspects (physically and mentally) works well to overcome it.

BTW, just re-read your post. Give the diet at least a few months before doing anything else. It takes a while for your body to re-regulate. Also, be careful of eating gluten-free processed foods. They are often full of flours that cause more problems, at least for me.

But probably the most important thing I overlooked in your post is that you're taking BC pills. They caused all the symptoms you described when I took them. They alter your hormones and trick your body into thinking it's pregnant, so naturally for many, they also make you look like it. :blink:

Hmmm, I have wondered if my thyroid would stabilize with this... I do feel it was caused from gluten...

I have went off corn. I notice that my weight drops when I get corn out of my diet... Which is needed... I put 20 pounds within a few months after giving birth... I've lost 10 in the last few weeks....

ToriMartin Apprentice

Just an update...

I went off corn & my weight dropped again. Which is a good thing... I think that is one of my bloating problems. Mostly water weight... But I have really contained the water the last few months! It's just long process right :)

leikela Newbie

One of my pre-diagnosis symptoms was a prego bloated belly. My lower abdomen would just stick out in the front and become hard. Oddly enough, the first day i went gluten-free, i had to pee SO much that day. I was pretty much going to the bathroom every 30 minutes, all day long. I never realized how much water i was retaining until then. My family and friends noticed an almost instant change in my appearance - puffiness gone etc...

I've been gluten free for 3 months and within the last week or so my stomach has been taking on it's prego look again, feeling puffy, and whenever i go to the bathroom it's in small amount (urination).

I might have to try some of the tips you've all suggested here (thank the Lord for forums!).

Archived