This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Go Ask Connie

conniebky

conniebky Collaborator

Well I took your alls advice and went back to my doctor.

I said I'm still dizzzy, sweaty, blah blah blah. He looks in my chart - 2 ER visits, brain scan, bloodwork a plenty....he says, "are you eating gluten?"

No, I'm not I say proudly.

He says you first came here in January with these exact complaints, you've gone gluten free and here you are 8 months later with the same complaints. Excluding gluten has not resolved your issues one iota, and you've lost more weight than I'd like to see.

Then we talk a while about the stores and the sweats and everything. And he says, "YOU JUST GOT DONE TELLING ME THAT YOU HAVE A REACTION WHEN YOU EAT ANYTHING!"

Sooooooo........... he said that my muscle weakness and tiredness is because I'm popping valiums all day long and I told him they make me grouchy and give me a headache, but also calm me down for a short time. Then I told him I don't clean my house no more. I get my vacuum cleaner out, put it in the middle of the floor and go sit on the sofa and stare at it.

We talked about work, about me missing work, about how I never missed a day in 7 years when working there, and he said I'm just not me.

He said that since all these tests have been done and the only one that came back bad was the hormones, he's putting me on HRT for short term. He also put me on Prozac. I cried and said that's for crazy people! and he said that he thinks the hormones are making me panic, sweat and then my BP goes up so he put me on Endural (which he did in January but I never took it).

HE also put me on Xanax that is timed released and you just take one before bed.

I said what about the risk with my family history and the HRT? He said the risk of me feeling this freaked out is greater than the family hx risk.

So now I'm on all these drugs, well, I haven't taken them yet. He said that he wants me to be very serious about this, I said maybe I'm depressed because I can't have a doughnut and he said 'you never liked sweets anyway' and if 6 months of gluten-free hasn't resolved the original complaint, it's not gluten.

So now I feel like a druggy. But I do have to agree with him on it.......I know a lot of you told me to see about the hormones. he told me to quit listening to Rush Limbaugh all afternoon (it's the only thing I can get at work on my radio) he told me to bring some music CDs in and put them in my computer. He's a staunch republican and he likes Limbaugh and he said, "no one needs to hear that b%$@#in all day every day, especially you."

Now I have all these bags and bottles of pills with all these different directions, but if it's going to make me feel better, I want to do it.

What do you all make of it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I say eat what you want. If you want to eat gluten-free, do. It won't hurt you, just eat healthy and a variety.

Take the meds exactly like you are told. Give it a fair try. What's the worst that can happen? You feel the same?

Have you been walking Midnight? I know it's hot but 15 minutes at 8 tonight isn't too bad. Your dog needs to get out for his mental health and yours. (he wanted me to tell you that). :P

kaki-clam Enthusiast

1. the part you wrote about dragging your vacuum out to the middle of the floor and then sitting on the sofa staring at it....made me laugh out loud...I was like..did I write this???? I don't remember writing this...but then again I do lose time so maybe I did...I had to check to see who posted this...point being...it gave a great laugh on a day when I really needed one.

2. I went the route where I took bags full of bottles full of prescription meds...they didn't work for me, but that doesn't mean that they won't work for you. My doc has me on Kava Kava and 5-HTP. He is also getting me some type of thingie that reregulates your heart during periods of stress and anxiety...part of me is like he's full of crap (I have shelled out over a thousand bucks in the last 3 month for this stuff, none of which is covered under my insurance) but part of me is like, stop being stupid, a thousand bucks is worth it if it works and I've only just started this stuff....so...take the meds, cross your fingers, and in a couple of days, drag out the vacuum and see what happens!

Good luck to you!

conniebky Collaborator

Well, that's two good things! My doctor doesn't charge me a dime and all those prescriptions were a total of $8.61 with my insurance.

Things are lookin up already!

I really do that with my vacuum, most every single night.

kareng, I can't take Midnight walking because I think a pit bull will come out of nowhere and attack him........well, that's embarrassing to admit, but that's just the plain jane truth. B)

kaki-clam Enthusiast

Gotta jump in again. I have a pit bull. I understand your concern about them jumping out and attacking your dog. The desire to attack other dogs, especially those of the same sex was breed into them and it will take years to breed it back out. But I can tell you, that being a responsible Pit owner, and living in a neighborhood with other dog owners who are not responsible, I just let them know that he is a good boy and it is not his fault. He is kept leashed and is under my full control at all times when I am out. The problem you would have is if one is not owned by a responsible owner and that gives all pitties a bad name.

That being said...love pitties, because you will never find a dog that loves you back more :)

PS..my pittie is also gluten free...I personally feel it cuts down on his aggression but that is just my own unblind study :)

Skylark Collaborator

Well, I think a little round of HRT is a great idea. You might also really like the Inderal. When you get anxious, it will block physical effects of panic like the sharp rise in blood pressure and pounding heart feeling. It might help with the dizziness too. It's an old, safe drug and well worth a shot. Remember you can always go off it if it doesn't agree with you.

He's right about the valium, you know. You really can't be popping that stuff all day! Out of curiosity, why is Prozac for crazy people and valium not? :lol: Heck, valium is addictive and more psychoactive than Prozac.

I can't talk about Prozac objectively so I'm going to leave that one lie. Too mad at shrinks who gave me Prozac instead of figuring out that I was gluten intolerant.

kareng Grand Master

Well, that's two good things! My doctor doesn't charge me a dime and all those prescriptions were a total of $8.61 with my insurance.

Things are lookin up already!

I really do that with my vacuum, most every single night.

kareng, I can't take Midnight walking because I think a pit bull will come out of nowhere and attack him........well, that's embarrassing to admit, but that's just the plain jane truth. B)

Are there really mean dogs or are you worrying? Put him in the car and drive to a park or a really expensive neighborhood and walk there. I like to see the big houses and perfect lawns. We have a couple of churches with nice walks around them. Also, some big retired people/ nursing homes with sidewalks, flowers and people who love to see a dog go by.

(I'm trying Midnight!)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator
:lol: I just finally got the Jefferson Airplane reference in the title. You're so funny, Connie!
lucia Enthusiast

Connie,

I stopped eating gluten 4 months ago now, and I still feel like crap.

1) If we've been putting gluten into our bodies for our whole lives but we can't tolerate it, the gluten is bound to have serious effects. Our bodies are really good at holding out, for years even, but eventually that s*#@ hits the fan. I know that I had symptoms as far back as 5 years ago, but I appeared fine - and even "really healthy for my age" according to the doctor - until January when my body just seemed to break down. WE NEED TO HEAL. And that takes time.

2) My doctor is now looking at issues secondary to celiac/gluten intolerance for me. In his eyes, that doesn't invalidate the gluten response. Dr. Green writes in his book about all the other issues that celiacs often face, particularly other autoimmune diseases. You can be sick from gluten AND sick from something else. In fact, people who have issues with gluten are OFTEN sick with other things.

3) I stopped vacuuming too. Too tired. It sucks.

I know you love your doctor - and he sounds like a kind-hearted man - but I don't think he knows much about celiac/gluten intolerance. I'd even suggest to you that you get Dr. Peter Green's book, Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic. You can order it off of Amazon. Then, you'll have medical evidence (not just internet evidence :rolleyes:) that your issues with gluten are real.

best, lucia

conniebky Collaborator

Gotta jump in again. I have a pit bull. I understand your concern about them jumping out and attacking your dog. The desire to attack other dogs, especially those of the same sex was breed into them and it will take years to breed it back out. But I can tell you, that being a responsible Pit owner, and living in a neighborhood with other dog owners who are not responsible, I just let them know that he is a good boy and it is not his fault. He is kept leashed and is under my full control at all times when I am out. The problem you would have is if one is not owned by a responsible owner and that gives all pitties a bad name.

That being said...love pitties, because you will never find a dog that loves you back more :)

PS..my pittie is also gluten free...I personally feel it cuts down on his aggression but that is just my own unblind study :)

Well, I've never even seen a pit bull around here. It's an irrational fear I have, like the ceiling caving in at the grocery. I love all the animals. Although, there are some "tough guys" around here who like to walk their pits with no leash because these guys are so "tough" their dog will always listen to them...but I've not encountered that.

And that fool michael vic, OMG! I never did watch any of that footage. disgusting and he got off just about scot free.

conniebky Collaborator

Well, I think a little round of HRT is a great idea. You might also really like the Inderal. When you get anxious, it will block physical effects of panic like the sharp rise in blood pressure and pounding heart feeling. It might help with the dizziness too. It's an old, safe drug and well worth a shot. Remember you can always go off it if it doesn't agree with you.

He's right about the valium, you know. You really can't be popping that stuff all day! Out of curiosity, why is Prozac for crazy people and valium not? :lol: Heck, valium is addictive and more psychoactive than Prozac.

I can't talk about Prozac objectively so I'm going to leave that one lie. Too mad at shrinks who gave me Prozac instead of figuring out that I was gluten intolerant.

This Inderal bottle says Propranolol. He said it was a beta blocker, but I don't know what that means. I should, but I don't remember.

We had a person here in Kentucky that was taking Prozac when it first came out and he went up in Louisville and shot and killed everyone at the building where they printed the newspaper, so that has always stuck with me about crazy people. Plus, it's always used as a "joke " in movies and tv, I guess that's why I think that. I've taken paxil, zoloft, heck, I don't know, lots of things along the way, but not prozac. Just when he said that, I was like, "oh no, he thinks I'm crazy"...

My heart never beats fast and I never get short of breath, I just panic and sweat, which I thought was not indicative of a panic attack, but he said mine's more like a panic syndrome. What's a beta blocker?

conniebky Collaborator

:lol: I just finally got the Jefferson Airplane reference in the title. You're so funny, Connie!

LOL! I was wondering how to word that! I came home feeling like the queen of all drugs! That song started playing in my head, so I used it for the title. That is exactly what I meant, which, BTW, is one of my favorite all time songs cuz her voice is just ..... it is what it is and no one can do it like her.

Skylark Collaborator

A beta blocker partly blocks the effect of adrenaline and lowers the amount of sympathetic nervous system activity in your body. By doing so it lowers blood pressure and can lower heart rate a little. It blocks part of the "fight or flight" signals. Propanolol is particularly effective lowering blood pressure and slowing heartbeat in people who have increases in blood pressure and fast heartbeat caused by anxiety. I wonder if your Dr. is concerned that your blood pressure is getting too high when you panic? It's really hard on your heart and blood vessels to have rises in blood pressure all the time.

Athletes and performers take also take doses of propanolol to lessen the effects of stage fright, because it stops the "shakes". It was actually banned from the Olympics. :lol: You might find that effect of it helpful as well. That could be another reason your Dr. chose that particular medicine.

And yea, that song is amazing!

Skylark Collaborator

I'll be darned. Check this out - Prozac and similar antidepressants are the latest non-hormonal treatment for hot flashes.

Open Original Shared Link

conniebky Collaborator

A beta blocker partly blocks the effect of adrenaline and lowers the amount of sympathetic nervous system activity in your body. By doing so it lowers blood pressure and can lower heart rate a little. It blocks part of the "fight or flight" signals. Propanolol is particularly effective lowering blood pressure and slowing heartbeat in people who have increases in blood pressure and fast heartbeat caused by anxiety. I wonder if your Dr. is concerned that your blood pressure is getting too high when you panic? It's really hard on your heart and blood vessels to have rises in blood pressure all the time.

Athletes and performers take also take doses of propanolol to lessen the effects of stage fright, because it stops the "shakes". It was actually banned from the Olympics. :lol: You might find that effect of it helpful as well. That could be another reason your Dr. chose that particular medicine.

And yea, that song is amazing!

Whoa, that's weird.....I remember him telling me back in January that it's also used for stage fright, which made me disregard it.

conniebky Collaborator

Connie,

I stopped eating gluten 4 months ago now, and I still feel like crap.

1) If we've been putting gluten into our bodies for our whole lives but we can't tolerate it, the gluten is bound to have serious effects. Our bodies are really good at holding out, for years even, but eventually that s*#@ hits the fan. I know that I had symptoms as far back as 5 years ago, but I appeared fine - and even "really healthy for my age" according to the doctor - until January when my body just seemed to break down. WE NEED TO HEAL. And that takes time.

2) My doctor is now looking at issues secondary to celiac/gluten intolerance for me. In his eyes, that doesn't invalidate the gluten response. Dr. Green writes in his book about all the other issues that celiacs often face, particularly other autoimmune diseases. You can be sick from gluten AND sick from something else. In fact, people who have issues with gluten are OFTEN sick with other things.

I know you love your doctor - and he sounds like a kind-hearted man - but I don't think he knows much about celiac/gluten intolerance. I'd even suggest to you that you get Dr. Peter Green's book, Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic. You can order it off of Amazon. Then, you'll have medical evidence (not just internet evidence :rolleyes:) that your issues with gluten are real.

best, lucia

I'm not going to start eating gluten again, even the thought of it makes me feel funny. I'm just going to take these pills and see what happens. I think my thing is a whole lot of things rolled into one titanic thing.

No, he didn't say start eating gluten, and I'm not going to. I'm staying on my gluten-free diet, but he does want me to eat more of -something- he doesn't like my weight loss. I'm staying gluten-free.

I've seen this doctor, well, when this guy went hiking and pulled his calf muscle, this doctor came out and told me to call 911 and get him to the hospital stat. I was like, "huh?" he had a blood clot in his leg that actually 'jumped' at the hospital and they barely saved his life.

My own momma was going through menopause and was on HRT from another doctor, she went to my doctor and he didn't like the way her eyes looked. Sent her to the hospital. She had uterine cancer.

My doctor is an amazing doctor. He didn't tell me to start eating gluten again, he just said to eat more and try this regimen and see what happens, if it makes me feel any better.

LOL at "quit vacuuming - it sucks" LOL - was that intentional? :P

kareng Grand Master

Connie,

best, lucia

You are a wise woman, Lucia. I stopped vacuuming with the big vacuum many years ago. I do like this thing that is like a Dust Buster on a stick for the hard wood floors.. In fact, I hate vacuuming so much, I ripped out the carpeting in 2 rooms and the stairway. :)

Also, kids can vacuum well by 6or 7. Got to keep those grankids busy, Connie!

gary'sgirl Explorer

Hi Connie, I like reading your posts. You always have a little humor in there somewhere. :)

I just wanted to tell you that I have been officially gluten free since November 4th. That was when I went in for my doctor appointment after my endoscopy. He said there was no doubt that I had Celiac Disease. That being said, I have had the worst time with my health since the diagnoses. I think that mostly I just have to give it time. I still have tummy and bowel (maybe not quite as bad - but still there) trouble as well as many neuro symptoms and for a while there the doc thought that I had MS, or Lupus, or both.

I have found out that right now I can't digest several other foods besides gluten (nightshades, broccoli/cabbage family, most grains, all nuts and most legumes, and some others). I wonder if you would feel better off of some of these for a while? One thing that seems to help me a bit and I have read that many others say it helps, are enzymes to help digest.

Anyway, I just thought that I would share a little of my experience with not feeling well yet, because it seems like you thought that gluten was a problem and maybe it is but you just need more time and maybe a little more help with other foods.

Sorry if this is a little confusing or disjointed. My mind is always in a fog and I have a hard time putting words together in a comprehensive way.

I hope you feel better soon.

~Sarah

kaki-clam Enthusiast

Whoa, that's weird.....I remember him telling me back in January that it's also used for stage fright, which made me disregard it.

A friend of mine was prescribed a beta blocker for stress as apparently the stress he felt at work was causing him to have extraordinarily high blood pressure. He happened to mention to me last night that he had stopped taking them because they were causing him severe depression. Not sure if that is a side effect to them or not, just his experience.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Connie I hope he has given you the Xanax to replace the Valium not to take at the same time. Also be sure to get the generic form on the Xanax as the name brand is not gluten free. The same opposite is the case with the Valium so if you have been taking the generic Valium you haven't been gluten free.

Roda Rising Star

I'll be darned. Check this out - Prozac and similar antidepressants are the latest non-hormonal treatment for hot flashes.

My mom takes a low dose of prozac for her hot flashes. She took hormones for sometime in her late 40's and continued them even though her doctor wanted her to stop. She felt the risk was worth it because she had a hard time functioning. She hasn't taken them in years but still suffers the hotflashes and she is almost 64. Boy, I'm not looking forward to menopause. :o

Gemini Experienced

My mom takes a low dose of prozac for her hot flashes. She took hormones for sometime in her late 40's and continued them even though her doctor wanted her to stop. She felt the risk was worth it because she had a hard time functioning. She hasn't taken them in years but still suffers the hotflashes and she is almost 64. Boy, I'm not looking forward to menopause. :o

Many times, you will end up having your mother's menopause....that's how it works. As you share DNA and physiology, look to your parents and you will see many similarities. I am having my mother's menopause and it has been challenging but you pick up and move onwards.

I have heard that Prozac can be used to treat hot flashes but I think the medical profession pushes medication too much in this country. If you really have no other choice and feel you may need it, then by all means give it a shot but I declined that option. I know too many people who tried to stop taking anti-depressants and got into trouble with that.

Hormones are not the evil villains that docs make the out to be. Pharmaceutical HRT is chemically altered hormone, derived from horses urine, so I cannot fathom why they gave women this in the first place. There are many other compounds in HRT that are not normally found in a woman's body so that is probably why they caused cancer in many women. The use of bio-identicals are on the rise and are a valid, safer option for those having menopausal symptoms. However, hot flashes don't automatically go away completely when using them but bio-identicals can make quality of life far better. I have been having hot flashes since I was 38 and am now 51. They are not nearly as bad as they used to be, as I use bio-identicals, but can easily keep happening till you are much older. You sort of get used to them after awhile and just go on with life. The upside is that in winter, I am never cold anymore. Everyone else is whining about the cold and I am very comfortable.....a definite benefit.

Roda Rising Star

Many times, you will end up having your mother's menopause....that's how it works. As you share DNA and physiology, look to your parents and you will see many similarities. I am having my mother's menopause and it has been challenging but you pick up and move onwards.

I have heard that Prozac can be used to treat hot flashes but I think the medical profession pushes medication too much in this country. If you really have no other choice and feel you may need it, then by all means give it a shot but I declined that option. I know too many people who tried to stop taking anti-depressants and got into trouble with that.

Hormones are not the evil villains that docs make the out to be. Pharmaceutical HRT is chemically altered hormone, derived from horses urine, so I cannot fathom why they gave women this in the first place. There are many other compounds in HRT that are not normally found in a woman's body so that is probably why they caused cancer in many women. The use of bio-identicals are on the rise and are a valid, safer option for those having menopausal symptoms. However, hot flashes don't automatically go away completely when using them but bio-identicals can make quality of life far better. I have been having hot flashes since I was 38 and am now 51. They are not nearly as bad as they used to be, as I use bio-identicals, but can easily keep happening till you are much older. You sort of get used to them after awhile and just go on with life. The upside is that in winter, I am never cold anymore. Everyone else is whining about the cold and I am very comfortable.....a definite benefit.

Boy did you just burst my bubble. :lol: Actually I have heard that before and my mom keeps telling me that too. Just like when she had my brother and me she had really quick labors. When I had my boys I was the same way so I figure I'll follow in the rest of her footsteps too. :P She is convinced I am in perimenopause (I am 37 1/2) which is possible I just don't want to admit she could be right. She was reluctant to take the prozac at first but her doctor convinced her that the dose was low enough that it really wouldn't matter for anything else. The only benefit she says she has from it is that she sleeps a little better at night.

• 4 weeks later...
anabananakins Explorer

I hated vacuuming until I got a roomba. My, but it's fun sitting on the sofa watching it do all the work. And on sunday nights when I'm folding laundry and it's vacuuming, I feel like the house cleaning is a joint effort. And yes, I'm aware I sound a little too fond of an applicance, LOL.

Hope you feel better, I'm glad you have such a lovely doctor.

kareng Grand Master

I hated vacuuming until I got a roomba. My, but it's fun sitting on the sofa watching it do all the work. And on sunday nights when I'm folding laundry and it's vacuuming, I feel like the house cleaning is a joint effort. And yes, I'm aware I sound a little too fond of an applicance, LOL.

Hope you feel better, I'm glad you have such a lovely doctor.

What did you name it? I can't get one. My boys are on a FIRST Robotics team and would have it built into something else before it finished a room!

Archived