This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Have A "burning" Sensation In Their Upper Stomach Area?

willabec

willabec Contributor

i sometimes get a "burning" sensation (that is the only way i can describe the feeling) in the upper stomach area right between the ribs, sometimes a bit lower and sometimes a more "stabbing" pain in the lower left pelvic area? talk to my gi about it, but he can't seem to associate it with anything. any ideas??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

i sometimes get a "burning" sensation (that is the only way i can describe the feeling) in the upper stomach area right between the ribs, sometimes a bit lower and sometimes a more "stabbing" pain in the lower left pelvic area? talk to my gi about it, but he can't seem to associate it with anything. any ideas??

I had that burning sensation after I got the H. Pylori bacteria, which causes stomach ulcers. So I might have had a small ulcer or at least some sensitive areas in my stomch, which the HP bacteria damaged. A stool test diagnosed that bacteria. I took mastic gum capsules and turkey rhubarb tincture to kill the HP and used L-glutamine (powder dissolved in water) to heal my stomach. The burning sensation disappeared after a few weeks of treatment.

SUE

lizard00 Enthusiast

I get a burning pain like that when I eat soy or as part of my glutening process. It's usually one of the first symptoms for me. I thought I had h. pylori for a bit, but it wore off after a couple days after eating gluten. And it only comes then. It's definitely something you should pay attention to, though.

cassP Contributor

your GI couldnt help u? what do these doctors do anyways?? do they ever have answers? sorry i digress...

i had the burning months ago- and because of $$ & not wanting antibiotics i went ahead and treated myself as if it were H.Pylori... i took 3 doses of GSE (15 drops in 8oz water) for 3 weeks, & some Pepto Bismol... it cleared up. if it didnt get better i was gonna go to the doc. just to make sure it didnt progress to a bleeding ulcer.

**BUT- stabbing pain- you need to make sure that's nothing serious- maybe find a different GI... it could be harmless like a psoas muscle spasm- or it could be serious-

just remember- we're not docs here- make sure u get the proper care

burdee Enthusiast

your GI couldnt help u? what do these doctors do anyways?? do they ever have answers? sorry i digress...

i had the burning months ago- and because of $$ & not wanting antibiotics i went ahead and treated myself as if it were H.Pylori... i took 3 doses of GSE (15 drops in 8oz water) for 3 weeks, & some Pepto Bismol... it cleared up. if it didnt get better i was gonna go to the doc. just to make sure it didnt progress to a bleeding ulcer.

**BUT- stabbing pain- you need to make sure that's nothing serious- maybe find a different GI... it could be harmless like a psoas muscle spasm- or it could be serious-

just remember- we're not docs here- make sure u get the proper care

I agree that 'we're not docs here'. Did you see a doc about your burning stomach pain? What did you use to kill the H. Pylori bacteri? (What's GSE?) Mastic gum is an antibacterial botanical which has absolutely no side effects. (I took it for 5 weeks and felt nothing beyond improved stomach.) It's been used for years in the Middle East to treat stomach problems.

cassP Contributor

I agree that 'we're not docs here'. Did you see a doc about your burning stomach pain? What did you use to kill the H. Pylori bacteri? (What's GSE?) Mastic gum is an antibacterial botanical which has absolutely no side effects. (I took it for 5 weeks and felt nothing beyond improved stomach.) It's been used for years in the Middle East to treat stomach problems.

i want to buy some of that Mastic Gum- sounds great.

GSE is Grapefruit Seed Extract- very bitter, but supposedly can kill almost any bacteria, virus, microbe, candida, etc.

i LOVE the stuff-

the burning stopped, AND my sinusitis got 90% better. but i only did the 3 doses for a month. ive had GERD a few times, and my sinuses have started to be inflamed again... so im not sure if i killed it all off.?

i only have catastrophic insurance... so dont feel like going to doc all the time. have to see my GI soon tho- so i'll let him know what was goin on, see what he thinks.

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

He really couldn't think of ANYTHING that causes left lower quadrant pain?!

Um, how about diverticulitis? That's a pretty common disorder that causes left lower quad pain. :rolleyes:

Have you been scoped?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

willabec Contributor

He really couldn't think of ANYTHING that causes left lower quadrant pain?!

Um, how about diverticulitis? That's a pretty common disorder that causes left lower quad pain. :rolleyes:

Have you been scoped?

no, not yet....the last time i was scoped was when i got the celiac diagnosis....(8 yrs. ago!) looking to schedule a colonoscopy and upper endo. soon though! hopefuly those will lead to some answers!

• 2 months later...
Mayflowers Contributor

OMG, I have the same burning..! It's in the upper stomach..not located in one spot. It feels like my whole upper stomach is burning. I got a blood test for H pylori and it came back negative. Either it's old age or it's gluten intolerance. The last time I went gluten free, I was getting acid reflux and painful pressure but not burning.

I'm going to go gluten and grain free for awhile and see if the burning goes away.

My ND thought I had bacterial overgrowth that wasn't pylori. My mother had pylori. She told me her symptom and it wasn't like mine. Her symptom was burning but in a single spot on the side of her stomach.

• 2 weeks later...
Loey Rising Star

Could it be an ulcer? I had a flare about 5 weeks ago and my new GI was not taking it seriously. Severe abdominal pain and more recently severe vertical pain under my rib bone. My old GI thought my Celiac had gone undiagnosed for a long time and wanted me to have a capsule endoscopy as soon as I got a new GI. I had to really push him to get it. I had it on Monday and he called me yesterday. Totally different demeanor and no longer dismissive. They found an ulcer. I have to have it biopsied. That won't be for another three weeks because I live in a small town now and he needs a special anesthesiologist (my old hometown had a large hospital).

I was newly diagnosed in June after being bedridden for 6 weeks. Loved my old GP ant the GI he referred me to. The test results were given to me literally the night before we moved to a new state. After following the gluten-free diet I felt better for a while. I took my son to the new GI to get genetically tested before college (phew - he's negative, one less thing to blame mom for).

I'm currently unemployed and a resource geek so if anyone ever wants me to look anything up just let me know. This forum has helped me more than I can say. Being sick in a new state is challenging and thanks to all of you I don't feel so alone.

Loey

Archived