27 replies to this topic

#1 RideAllWays

RideAllWays

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:07 AM

I work at a place that makes wraps and stirfries, and we have a gluten free menu. So a lady came in yesterday and said she needed to look at our list of gluten free sauces, so I was all excited ready to help somebody just like me. She looked at all the sauces then told me what to make...on a whole wheat tortilla. This is how the conversation went:
Me: We don't have wraps that are gluten free but I can make you a stir fry in our dedicated pan
Her: Oh, I can have a bit of gluten
Me: The wraps have a high gluten content just to let you know, they are all made from wheat. I wouldn't want you to get sick...
Her: I have had Celiac for 5 years, I think I know what I'm talking about.

REALLY? Either she knows she is poisoning herself or she's one of those fad dieters. It made me mad.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:37 AM

I know someone that has been a Celiac since childhood. She seems to think its OK to eat little bits. We had a kids sports banquet & I knew we were having pasta. I made some gluten-free cookies & some pasta at home with gluten-free chicken Ital sausage and melted Moz, Asiago, parm & romano on top and brought it in a container that keeps it hot. I told her I had brought plenty for both of us as I knew she couldn't eat the regular pasta. She said," Oh, I can eat a small amount". She then ate a plate of the pasta & salad with croutons! Her husband said she does this all the time then feels bad and blames something he has done (cigars, wood staining, etc). What's worse is she keeps having all kinds of health problems. I would think the GI problems would be one less thing to deal with. What's worse is a GI doctor did a stomach bypass for weight loss on her with this history. :huh:

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:50 AM

As my Mom used to say 'Some folks don't have the sense God gave a turnip'
These folks are killing themselves slowly and make it harder for those of us who are as strict as we need to be.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:53 AM

Unfortunately, there are Celiacs out there that don't believe they need to stick to the diet 100%.

When I was first diagnosed, my husband's aunt told me that her husband's cousin has Celiac and that after a while I could have a litle gluten now and then and it wouldn't bother me.

All we can do is offer to help, as you ladies did--and beyond that, it's their choice....however wrong it may be.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 conniebky

conniebky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:00 AM

Really? She's going to eat a ton of wheat and worry about trace amounts in a sauce?

She's fulla beans if ya ask me.
Be kind to each person that you meet, for everyone is fighting a great battle

#6 mommyto3

mommyto3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:27 AM

Some Celiacs definitely don't follow a strict diet. I found that out after eating dinner at my friend's house (who is also Celiac but has only slight reactions). After dinner I started feeling really terrible but I had only eaten a chicken and rice dish. When she went to the bathroom I took a look at the soy sauce she used and there it was. Regular soy sauce....not gluten free! Can you believe it? I didn't say anything because I didn't want her to feel STOOPID. So now I know. Shame on me I guess for not checking 100% but I assumed her meals would be totally gluten free like mine :angry:

#7 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:27 AM

Sadly I know someone like this too. She had Celiac diagnosed only because she has DH. She is not careful when eating out or in other people's homes. I don't know if this is ignorance and some form of denial or what. But the lady you ran into is just nuts. I wonder if she was really looking for something else in the sauce other than gluten? It doesn't make any sense to be concerned about a sauce and then go and eat a whole wheat wrap.

Maybe she was a mystery shopper? Do you get mystery shops at your restaurant? I worked at a coffee place years ago where the mystery shop people had to ask about ingredients in something and then they had to special order it somehow other than what was on the standard menu. We could almost always spot the mystery shopper because they would ask odd questions...Just an idea. If it's not that then I'd write her off as a crazy person and hope she doesn't return.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#8 sandiz

sandiz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:39 AM

Seems some people are in denial and very ignorant of there bodies. As a female I listen to my body and try to figure out what I did to it and try not to do that again. It is frustrating but we can only do so much.

#9 Abbysomething

Abbysomething

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:55 AM

I think you did the right thing by not getting preachy on a stranger but clearly she is mistaken. Technically she could eat a tiny bit of rat poison and survive, but I wouldn't recommend it. That is how I see gluten. What you don't necessarily feel can, and will hurt you. There are so many tastey options for gluten free foods. If she values her health she would plan ahead and make those choices. I often say having Celiacs makes me feel like a robot in a movie who can't process human food lest they malfunction.
By the end of the day she will say she has a headache from work or traffic or looking at the computer screen. She will feel tired and say it's because she over did it. She doesn't put the dots together because she doesn't want to. Well you can lead a horse to the gluten-free foods..... :)

#10 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:55 AM

Some people, I swear! I hate that some celiacs are asymptomatic because they truly believe they can continue to eat wheat with "no problems".

Ugh.
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#11 scarlett77

scarlett77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:07 AM

And that is why so many of us aren't taken seriously...UGH! My mom was getting her gluten-free info from my Aunt because my cousin put her kids on a gluten-free diet. I come to find out that the gluten-free diet is because they are on the Autism spectrum and she does occasionally allow them a treat and doesn't worry about cross contamination. So of course my mother thinks I'm going off the deep end by not accepting her old breadmaker. Sheesh.
Mommy to James, who is Celiac diagnosis by blood test and confirmed by endoscopy on 9/29/2009. Our household has been gluten free since.

#12 glowball

glowball

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:20 AM

Some people, I swear! I hate that some celiacs are asymptomatic because they truly believe they can continue to eat wheat with "no problems".

Ugh.

Humph. They're deluding themselves. I'm technically asymptomatic in that I don't have gut response to it, but if I get a bit of gluten, I go all autoimmune towards my thyroid. My Dr. and I have seen it in my bloodtests. Takes between one and three months for it to subside. Pretty sure its doing a bunch of damage in the meantime. You better believe I do my damndest to stay away from gluten. I'm already on thyroid meds because this wasn't diagnosed until I was 40, so it has been chipping away at my health for years. Thyroid problems were what sent my doc looking for Celiac and yep! Found it. These people who think they can cheat have no idea what damage is going on inside them.
I've spent two years gluten free and am much healthier than I've been in a loooong time.

#13 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:42 AM

And that is why so many of us aren't taken seriously...UGH! My mom was getting her gluten-free info from my Aunt because my cousin put her kids on a gluten-free diet. I come to find out that the gluten-free diet is because they are on the Autism spectrum and she does occasionally allow them a treat and doesn't worry about cross contamination. So of course my mother thinks I'm going off the deep end by not accepting her old breadmaker. Sheesh.

YES! People keep trying to give me their old bread machines!! I was like "No...I'm good..." I don't even explain anymore because I never get anywhere!
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#14 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:15 PM

I feel sorry for people who are biopsy positive celiac and cling to their old diets for whatever reason. It's the same way I feel sorry for smokers who have deluded themselves that smoking will not give them cancer or emphysema.

I wish there were a way to educate these people, so they know the risk of what they do. It would be awful to have a celiac diagnosis, not take it seriously because your doctor gives bad information, or you lack willpower, or you're just plain stubborn, and later discover you are severely and irrecoverably osteoporotic at age 60 or you have developed intestinal cancer.

If I run across another celiac who says I can eat wheat, I say "Are you crazy? I don't want cancer!" It usually gets people's attention, because everyone is familiar with carcinogens that don't cause any symptoms, and everyone is afraid of cancer. (Celiac-caused cancers are rare, but hey - whatever works.)

#15 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:41 PM

I wish there were a way to educate these people, so they know the risk of what they do.

They need to read these forums! This place helped me so much. I so many posts here while I was doing my gluten challenge and it meant so much more to read people's personal stories - and ways of handling things - than it did to read boring information sheets full of facts. By time my tests had come back negative for celiac I didn't have to worry about what to do next, I knew - go gluten free and to trust how I felt. And so I did and I feel so much better.

Of course, it took a heck of a lot of time. When I was sitting exams last June I really wished they were on how to handle gluten and celiac disease since I knew way more about that topic than what I was going to be assessed on ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: