arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

M&m Cc Risk From New Pretzel Ones Appears Low...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 StacyA

StacyA

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

I sent an email to Mars asking if there is now CC risk due to the new pretzel M&Ms (why, why d/c the crispy ones only to add pretzel ones...?).

A representative actually called me at home rather than reply to my email. She said the pretzel M&M's are made on separate lines, so any cc would only result because the pretzel ones are made in the same building as their other products, but not on the same lines.

I told her I saw a post on this site from last month saying they are made on the same lines as other products but are cleaned in between. (I found the post after I sent my email.)

She said that was not correct, that the pretzel ones are made on 'overflow' lines. I even repeated the question with different wording, she said every other regular M&M product shares lines (and are cleaned in between), but the pretzel ones are on the separate lines.

Of course, airborn cc can happen, but I personally am not worried there, since it's not a flour factory.

The representative said another consideration is that special colored holiday M&M's may get made on the 'overflow' lines, so I may want to avoid them.

I then pointed out that the pretzel ones may be made on separate lines for now, but what if that changes. She stated they would then add the 'may contain traces of' disclaimer, or whatever wording Mars uses. They have a clear allergy policy you can click on (the link is in very small print at the bottom of their website). And since we're talking wheat (not barley or rye), their policy does cover full disclosure of wheat cc apparently.

Just thought I'd pass it on...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:16 AM

Wow, I'm impressed with their resposiveness and personal touch by calling you. That means a lot, especially from such a large company.

Good to know...thanks for sharing!!!
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

#3 heatherjane

heatherjane

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:06 AM

I sent an email to Mars asking if there is now CC risk due to the new pretzel M&Ms (why, why d/c the crispy ones only to add pretzel ones...?).

A representative actually called me at home rather than reply to my email. She said the pretzel M&M's are made on separate lines, so any cc would only result because the pretzel ones are made in the same building as their other products, but not on the same lines.

I told her I saw a post on this site from last month saying they are made on the same lines as other products but are cleaned in between. (I found the post after I sent my email.)

She said that was not correct, that the pretzel ones are made on 'overflow' lines. I even repeated the question with different wording, she said every other regular M&M product shares lines (and are cleaned in between), but the pretzel ones are on the separate lines.

Of course, airborn cc can happen, but I personally am not worried there, since it's not a flour factory.

The representative said another consideration is that special colored holiday M&M's may get made on the 'overflow' lines, so I may want to avoid them.

I then pointed out that the pretzel ones may be made on separate lines for now, but what if that changes. She stated they would then add the 'may contain traces of' disclaimer, or whatever wording Mars uses. They have a clear allergy policy you can click on (the link is in very small print at the bottom of their website). And since we're talking wheat (not barley or rye), their policy does cover full disclosure of wheat cc apparently.

Just thought I'd pass it on...

Makes me feel better about the M&Ms I occasionally munch on, but not so good news if you're watching the waistline. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: