22 replies to this topic

#16 pixiestargirl

pixiestargirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

Aside from having the worst time giving up cheese (or even cutting back; I eat it on a near daily basis), I'm a Starbucks barista so there are constant dairy temptations. I have a cane sugar sensitivity so I try to avoid the soy milk, and the Lactose free milk makes me gassy :(
Plus, I have a ridiculous weakness for whipped cream when I'm at work.
Argh!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 thecritter93

thecritter93

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

Oh wow! This thread made me laugh so hard! I joined up just so I could reply!

My GP thinks I may be a Coeliac because I am bordering on being anemic. No matter what I do, I can't get my iron levels up!

Anyway, yeah I laughed cause this is so me! I was told that I was lactose intolerant as a baby/young child, but I eventually was able to tolerate dairy. I mean, if I had a milkshake/iced chocolate from The Coffee Club or something I'd feel really ill, but how often did I have them? I also had problems if I had a fair bit of chocolate.

Just recently, over Christmas, I was staying at my grandparents place for the week, and they have a crazy number of teas and coffee's. In one day we had 4 cups of tea, 2 coffees, two small bowls of ice cream and yogurt. I thought my stomach was going to explode!! Since then, I seem to be having difficulty with any lactose at all! Before I started the Coeliac diet, I was having the low fat Zymil milk on cereal which was much better. Recently I've been ignoring the whole dairy thing, and just having it anyway.. icecream (gluten-free gelato - I swear it has lactose!), iced coffees (on skim milk, no ice-cream/cream).. chocolate.. yogurt.. cheese.. OUCH!!! This morning my stomach feels as if it's just going to run away and leave me here - I wouldn't blame it actually!! :P

It's so good to know that there are other people who are like me, and keep messing up!

#18 desperateforhealth

desperateforhealth

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

YESS! I miss dairy so much. But I quit it for good when I quit gluten almost three months ago. Today was the first time I have had chocolate in almost THREE MONTHS just because I never wanted to buy any that was dairy free, and then finally today I found some that my parents bought. It was beautifully delicious, I am still high from the endorphin.

I miss cheese the most though. :(

#19 CassandraMajere

CassandraMajere

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

I have been eating gluten-free for over a year now, and although symptoms have improved, I am still sensitive to dairy. I have eliminated a large majority of the dairy from my diet, but am still consuming SOME yoghurt (plain),cottage cheese, natural chedder cheese and worst of all, the occasional bowl of ice cream
I tend to regret it within a few hours but I'm too stubborn to quit dairy all together

Is anyone else out there experiencing dairy withdrawls?

Ooh BIG time. When I cut dairy for the first time in 7th grade, I craved milk all the time. Though nowadays I've lost my taste for dairy milk because soymilk is so much richer and creamier, but other treats like cookies, ice cream, cheese, and pizza I miss bitterly. Whenever my friends are eating them around me and I'm not, I feel so deprived and like I'm sacrificing my soul.

#20 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

I first suspected lactose intolerance a few months ago but was too stubborn to eliminated it. You are talking to a person who used to drink 3-6 glasses of milk a day. That's in addition to the cereal, cheese, coffee creamer, etc. I've tried soy milk and rice milk as well as soy ice cream, but it's just not the same. It doesn't smell the same nor taste the same and I can never make myself stick with it for long, though I am still trying. Sigh.

Try hemp and almond milk and coconut ice cream :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#21 Ninja

Ninja

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:30 AM

I'm with you guys. I can't let go of the cheese. :(

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

#22 patz16

patz16

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:26 PM

Yeah, I was in denial about the lactose intolerance last week but I was getting very sick again so I was forced to get rid of it and now I feel a lot better because of it. When I have the cravings I try to remember the times in my life where I would have given anything up to feel ok again. It usually doesn't seem as bad after that. Plus imitation cheese is good too :) and some lactaid ice cream
Toughing it out on a 2 year doctor hiatus. I give up.

#23 anabananakins

anabananakins

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

This thread is helping psych me up to go dairy free. It seems so much harder than gluten free, but I've had two months straight of respiratory stuff and that coincides with a higher than usual for me dairy intake...it's time to give it a real try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: