This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Brain Fog=Car Accident?!

missceliac2010

missceliac2010 Apprentice

Hello Friends!

I have had a perfect driving record for over a decade. I am a 35 year old woman who considers herself a very careful driver. So careful in fact, that I chose to only carry "collision" insurance on my old '91 BMW that's only worth about $1200. The car has 215,000 miles on her, and in California, we have the option of only carrying insurance that only covers the other car if you get in an accident. Being a single Mom on a tight budget, and knowing that my car is so old and not worth much, having this cheap coverage is worth it to me. (Carrying full coverage would cost me about triple the cheaper version...I've been told it's mostly just because it's a BMW...even though it's an old car on it's last leg and is certainly nothing fancy...it's honestly kind of a bucket...LOL!) My insurance is only $35/month, and I am fully prepared to go buy a newer used car and take on a car loan when my current car dies or gets wrecked. Anyway.... that's the background....

So I am driving home on a very busy 6 lane freeway in the bay area of California (the 580). I'm cruising along on the fast lane going about 70 minding my business. Suddenly, before I even realize what's happening, I am slamming into the back of the car in front of me! I don't remember the moments leading up to the impact. I just remember looking down or something, and when I refocused forward, people were braking...hard. I slammed on my brakes, but I knew it was too late and I was going to hit him. No one was hurt, and the man I hit was very nice, thankfully. His rear bumper was hanging off the car (it was an older mitsubishi), but the damage didn't look too bad. Once it was assessed that everyone was ok, I called my insurance and got a claim number for the guy to use to get his car fixed. My insurance is covering his car, no problems. Thanks Geico! I managed to hit him with my right front fender, and the bumper and fender did a good job of keeping the damage to pretty minimal. I was able to drive my car away from the scene, and after some time with a hammer and zip ties, I'll keep driving the 'ol bucket as is!

So here is my question. I have heard of this thing called "brain-fog" after a glutening. I had gotten glutened on Monday of this week (this happened on Wednesday, 2 days later) from eating a bar that claimed to be wheat-free, but silly me...it wasn't gluten-free. I had no idea that could even exist until this unfortunate instance. My family asked me if I was texting, on the phone, looking at the radio, tired, etc.... I wasn't! I honestly don't even recall the few seconds between driving along fine and about to hit the guy. I just kind of blanked. It happened so fast.... I'm a little worried. Maybe I experienced "brain fog?" My sister says she often is driving and just kind of "gets in the groove" and seems to "be on auto-pilot." Perhaps that is what happened? I do make this drive all the time.... I live 1 hr 20 mins away from my boyfriend of a year and a half. I make the drive from the central valley of CA to the bay area of CA at least twice a week, so "auto-pilot" is certainly a possibility... but I have never had this problem!

It's freaking me out a bit! I haven't gotten in an accident since I was 22. And even that was questionably my fault. This was clearly my fault.... I just blanked out and hit someone. Has anyone had this problem while driving after being glutened? Does anyone avoid driving after being glutened for fear of a "brain-fog" accident? I'm afraid to bring it up to my doctor, because I cannot afford to lose my license! I have made a promise to myself that I will just have to be extra careful, to the point of a little bit ridiculous to stay away from gluten. Whatever it takes... I can't have this happen again! I would appreciate any advice/commiseration. What's that saying? Misery loves company? LOL!

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

You've got commiseration from me for sure. My only accident was when a doctor had put me on Imitrex for myofacial pain in my 20s (gluten, of course). It didn't agree with me at all and I was horribly spaced. Just like you, I was in heavy traffic and blanked out for a moment. Fortunately, it was stop-and-go traffic and I was not going fast when I rear-ended the driver in front of me. It still did $1000 in damage to my small car.

I don't worry about driving around town when I'm tired and feeling "off" but if I can avoid long drives I prefer to.

You've got commiseration from me for sure.

Thanks Skylark. That means a lot. I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I continue to be baffled at the many ways gluten has ruined so many parts of my life. The future is bright now though! :0)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It could have been brain fog but I think the real key is in this statement

" I just remember looking down or something, and when I refocused forward, people were braking...hard"

You were moving fast, in heavy traffic, and for some reason traffic was stopping fast and you didn't notice in time or space to avoid hitting the car in front of you. Accidents happen and fortunately no one was seriously hurt. Glad your ole rust bucket is still running and that your rust bucket was such a well built car to begin with.

Looking for answers Contributor

First, so sorry about the accident, but it seems like you avoided srious injury, and that's the most important thing.

I had the same exact thing happen to me on a So Cal freeway a few years ago. I can't quite figure out exactly what happened (I was not fiddling around with my phone or radio), but I did glance over my right shoulder to see if the lane next to me was clear, and the next thing I know I slammed in the back of an SUV. It was either just split-second timing, or I fogged out for a period of time. Either way, I now drive like a nervous, old lady. :ph34r:

One time I had ONE vial of blood drawn and passed out on my way home from the doctors (about 20 mins). I could hear all the traffic around me, but I couldn't see or respond to it. Awful, and I'm lucky nothing happened.

If you think it has something to do with being glutened, you'll need to take the proper measures to avoid driving after exposure. Ever since the blood drawn incidence, I won't drive until a few hours has passed. Luckily, I have a Quest Diagnositcs across the street from work.

Anways, I hope you are able to find a new car soon.

mommyto3 Contributor

Sorry about the accident. If you were to have brain fog you would have been "out of it" since the glutening (at least that's my experience). I glutened myself the last two days in a row by accident and I am so foggy right now I barly know my own name.

If you were feeling out of it prior to the accident then it could be brain fog but if not and you were distracted maybe it just caught you totally off guard.

Glad that everyone was ok.....

juppygirl Newbie

I was bad after a glutening yesterday and got confused!! Glad you are ok. I have not felt safe to drive when I have had gluten recently -definitely something to be aware of :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SGWhiskers Collaborator

7 low speed fender benders that were my fault prior to diagnosis. 0 since. I get ADD like symptoms with gluten and prior to diagnosis was on ADD meds (accident free during those years as well). Now I'm free of ADD meds and gluten and accidents. Bottom line is with or without meds or gluten, the accidents were my fault and would have been avoided if I was paying better attention to the road or making better split second decisions.

I'm glad everyone is fine and keep safe.

Thanks for all of the responses and advice. I think it was probably a combination of a lot of things, including a little bit of brain fog, a little bit of not paying enough attention, and a little bit of driving on mental cruise control. Today when I made the drive home I made a point to stay very alert, drink coffee/caffeine soda, and generally make a new commitment to being a safer driver.

I also signed the Oprah challenge promising to keep my car a cell phone free zone. Although I was not texting or on the phone at the time of the accident, I have to stop doing that. Never again. Driving requires 100% attention, and I had gotten lazy. I guess this wreck "scared me straight", in a good way! Thanks for chiming in everyone! I am making today the beginning of a new leaf in my life. Driving is a privilege, and I will take it more seriously from today forward.

I'm also trying to do less of it. My boyfriend and I are very much in love and want to move in together, but we have both been dragging our feet a bit, for our own personal reasons. But after my accident, I talked to my bf and told him that I want to push ahead quickly with moving in. The move would be in the middle of our two "hometowns." So instead of doing a 1.5 hr drive, it will be a 45 min drive for both of us to work. I'm excited about moving forward with our relationship and taking the next step. If it took this accident to push the fast forward button, so be it....it's for the best.

Happy Friday everyone! And stay safe out there on the roads! Learn from me! LOL! HA! ;)

Archived