This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm Hot

miles

miles Rookie

To start with I

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Looking for answers Contributor

To start with Im male, 42 and been gluten free for 2 years, in the past couple of weeks after exercise or yard work my body temperature takes a couple of hours to return to normal. I mowed the lawn early in the morning then took a cool shower and was still sweating 3 hours later sitting in an air conditioned office. Ive always run a bit hot but this is ridiculous. Has anyone had similar problems?

well, I'm the opposite. Once I get cold it takes forever to warm back up - we're talking So. Cal cold, so 45 degrees is about the coolest my area gets in the winter. I think it has to do with my underactive thyroid...could yours possibly be overactive thyroid?

tmbarke Apprentice

To start with I'm male, 42 and been gluten free for 2 years, in the past couple of weeks after exercise or yard work my body temperature takes a couple of hours to return to normal. I mowed the lawn early in the morning then took a cool shower and was still sweating 3 hours later sitting in an air conditioned office. I've always run a bit hot but this is ridiculous. Has anyone had similar problems?

Ice Water - Cool or warm shower - A/C..............NOTHING will cool me down!

I read it had something to do with an affected Thyroid that the heat intolerance and regulators act up. Not sure if it was hypo or hyper.

I'm miserable and can snap someone's head off with my eyes if I can't cool down.

I try to stand in front of the freezer and it isn't enough.

If it's humid, the sweat doesn't evaporate but rather holds heat in - if it's arid or dry heat - your sweat will evaporate to cool the skin......so you think a shower would work! But nooooo........it holds humidity in the shower.....and the process happens all over again for me.

I'm even the warmest person in the A/C office where 73.5 degrees isn't cool enough!

I feel your pain and frustration.

T

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago. Here's that thread:

lovegrov Collaborator

I would consider running it by your doctor.

richard

LauraBeth Rookie

I'm both ways. I'm almost always either too hot or too cold, I am never comfortable. I hope this starts to subside!

miles Rookie

I read through the thread and need to try the lasagna, I used to be a space heater (that was normal) but am now a furnace. Read up on Hyperthyroidism and the symptoms don

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gabby Enthusiast

Definitely run this by a doctor. High blood pressure and high blood sugar can cause you to feel overheated like that. Hope this isn't the case for you, but worth getting it checked just to make sure.

Best of luck.

tmbarke Apprentice

For me the blood pressure isn't the problem - mine is low to normal

I've experienced a bit of overheating a month after gluten free - but then once or twice since then - until I had the pleasure of my first summer gluten-free.

I started to threaten broken fingers if my brother touches that A/C! He thinks it should be turned off when he leaves at 2 for work and I get home at 4:45pm to an oven and a pi$$ed off mood..........stomping all the way to the cool 15 minute shower that doesn't work when the house is still struggling to cool down.

I now keep the A/C on low at all times to maintain and regulate the temperature unless it jumps up a tad more outside then the A/C goes up to med.

I'm very minimal on sugar except for the rum and Pepsi I enjoy after work.

I will be bringing this and some occassional swelling in my legs with the occassional light headedness when I stand up after sitting at my desk for long periods of time to the doctor on the next physical.

It was Oct I had my physical and diagnosis - it'll be Oct for the follow up and do it all over again - complete with all the changes my body now experiences.........but I'll have to say.......my mind is and mood is fantastic these days! So are my energy levels......wouldn't trade it for the world.

Thanks everyone - I'm hoping we all can get past our 'NEW' issues as they occur.

Hugs to everyone! Keep on fighting the good fight!

T

PS - the lasagna is to die for - but should do it either early in the AM or later in the PM - heat ya know....lol

Celiactapper Newbie

For me, it was the feeling that I was burning up all the time that tipped me off to a thyroid condition. The medical information on hypothyroid tells people that they'll feel cold, but if you read deeper, you'll note that it can also cause the opposite. Basically, we celiacs have a tendency towards developing Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and I can tell you that I felt like I was on fire, especially after running. However, over time, I became hot about six times an hour for no apparent reason--even throughout the night. And I'd be covered with sweat pouring down my face. It was awful! How wonderful it was when I discovered that I actually had Hashimoto's. The sweats stopped within days of starting the meds and no more feeling overheated.

Aphreal Contributor

40yr female here and I am always sweating and hot. Blood tests show no reason for it but I can not tolerate the heat and it takes me a while to cool down. I feel ya!

GFinDC Veteran

I get hot after eating. Takes me an hour or so to cool down. It doesn't matter if it is hot food or cool food either. Although hot food makes it worse. I don't do well with heat anymore. I get pretty out of it and tired and sweat a lot.

I always did "run hot" compared to my other family members though. Used to wear a t-shirt in the winter sometimes while they were in winter coats. But now it is much more pronounced. Of course I self-medicate like crazy. I eat Luigi's Italian Ice's in hot weather to cool down. Sometimes 3 in a row. A little Fresca, 7-Up, or absinthe on top and let it melt down a bit and they are darn good. I have a thyroid cyst and I half think it is related to that. Sort of a low grade constant fever thing going on I think. This summer it has been over 100 F quite a few days here and it is not that fun really.

Hmmm, back to self-medicating... :-)

VioletBlue Contributor

For me, feeling hot is part of an allergic reaction to something. Once I eliminate the offending food the hot flashes go away. Yeah, we women get to call them hot flashes. That's part of how I know I've been cross contaminated by something I'm allergic or intolerant of. It's also unfortunately how I know there's a new allergy popping up :wacko:

miles Rookie

Borrowed my mom

Archived