This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help Needed

Chefeiram

Chefeiram Newbie

My symptoms are not as bad as some and for that I’m grateful but mine are bad enough that I sometimes miss work and other family events cause I’m stuck in the bathroom. I’m a single mom of a very active 6 year old and he sometime has to miss out on things because I can’t leave the house. Any help will be really great. Thanks Marie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

scifijunky Newbie

Hi Marie,

I too accidentaly injested wheat while eating out. :blink: My syptoms are flu like. Fever, shivers, heat flashes, just to mention a few. I am a mother and understand all too well how dabilitating a reaction can be. I wish I had answers for you, as I'm looking for answers myself. I wanted to respond to your post and let you know your not alone. My kids have learned that there are may days where mommy isn't feeling well. They have also grown accustomed to a change in schedule when "Mommy's not feeling well today." Children realize when they're not feeling well they can't do everything and quickly pick up on the fact that the same applies for mommy's. Try having self serve foods around for days when your under the weather. I know that on those days your energy is LOW, so, on a good day try to think of activities that your son can engage in that don't take alot of your envolvement. You can cut down on video games on your good days and on your bad days alow extra play time ( this has worked with mine). Instead of going to other kids houses, let them come over your house. Guests can distract your son on days where you just want to veg on the couch. Have your son setup a board game on your coffee table and tell him he gets to move both of your pieces today. (my kids get a kick out of paying both sides as long as I verbally play the game, and pay attention). I realize that guilt can play a big part in our lives when we can't participate fully in our children's activities. But remember that you love your son and only want the best for him. And the best mom is a mom that takes care of herself when she's ill so she can be there for him tommorrow( or the next day). Be forgiving of yourself, you didn't ask for this disorder. And no matter what your son knows you love him. That's the most important thing in my book. I hope this helped I know I rambled. ;)

srdover Newbie

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to speed up getting over a gluten ingestion. :(

A few tips I can give you are to:

Wash your hands and clean your counters well after preparing any gluten foods

Be aware that baking with flour may put flour dust in the air that can contaminate you

Try to have a batch of "safe" snacks always on hand so you don't accidentally grab the wrong thing if you are stressed or in a rush

Keep your food separate from the gluten food

Be very careful about adding in new foods to your diet, because you may find that you also have sensitivities to other foods as well

A gluten free diet wouldn't hurt your child and would make your life a little less complicated! :P

Hang in there!

Archived