Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Anyone Here Use Knitting To Help Cope With Celiac And Gluten Sensitivities?

• Please log in to reply

20 replies to this topic

#16 Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:16 PM

Well, I can't say that it has helped at all with coping with a gluten free lifestyle... but I do love to knit!

I have started up a stitch 'n b*tch group in my local area and - as the organiser - I damn well make sure that we meet at a cafe that has lots of gluten free options. I need my gluten free cake when I knit.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 quincy

quincy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:27 PM

Well, I can't say that it has helped at all with coping with a gluten free lifestyle... but I do love to knit!

I have started up a stitch 'n b*tch group in my local area and - as the organiser - I damn well make sure that we meet at a cafe that has lots of gluten free options. I need my gluten free cake when I knit.

this is amazing. when I first was diagnosed and my anxiety was sky high, I just came up with the idea that I should learn to knit to keep my mind in a certain state. someone at my work says she will teach me. I have the needles and yarn sittin in my car for several months now.... haha. maybe its time to put them to use... Thanks!!

#18 Lynayah

Lynayah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:00 PM

You rock! I hope you'll post here how the group goes. Please let me know. I have a great interest in those wonderful S&B groups. It sounds great!
Gluten Intolerant with double HLA-DQ6. Pre-diagnosis: Weight gain, swelling, diarrhea, mouth sores, back pain, body aches, fatigue, muscle weakness, BRAIN FOG, runny nose, recurrent sinus infections, bruising, low white cell count (whole life), and more. My feet were so bad, I could hardly walk. Toward the end: Chronic Vit. D deficiency (almost no D in my body despite a quality multi-vit. each day).

There is hope! Gluten-free since Sept. '09, and I have my life back - I feel better than in many, many years!

Favorite quotation: "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

#19 Lynayah

Lynayah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:04 PM

this is amazing. when I first was diagnosed and my anxiety was sky high, I just came up with the idea that I should learn to knit to keep my mind in a certain state. someone at my work says she will teach me. I have the needles and yarn sittin in my car for several months now.... haha. maybe its time to put them to use... Thanks!!

Knitting will help you, I promise, promise, promise!

There are also some outstanding DVDs out there about how to knit -- if you want more info, let me know, but if I were you, I'd go with the person I know and then expand from there.

Everythihg happens for a reason. You are being drawn to knitting for a reason.

Do it! It will change your mind and change your life. If you want more information on the outstanding knitting community out there, let me know this as well.

Knitters are an exceptionally caring group of people. It's "a whole new world" out there for people who knit -- as corny as it sounds, it really IS a magic carpet ride.
Gluten Intolerant with double HLA-DQ6. Pre-diagnosis: Weight gain, swelling, diarrhea, mouth sores, back pain, body aches, fatigue, muscle weakness, BRAIN FOG, runny nose, recurrent sinus infections, bruising, low white cell count (whole life), and more. My feet were so bad, I could hardly walk. Toward the end: Chronic Vit. D deficiency (almost no D in my body despite a quality multi-vit. each day).

There is hope! Gluten-free since Sept. '09, and I have my life back - I feel better than in many, many years!

Favorite quotation: "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

#20 Lynayah

Lynayah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:30 AM

I've been getting brave and knitting at casual parties -- the ones where there's tons of food everywhere, all glutened. It really helps keep me from feeling sorry for myself.

#21 Lynayah

Lynayah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:36 PM

If you suffer from arthritis yet want to knit, I found an interesting video on youtube.com today. Search under “Knitting Aid – Fabulous Invention.” It is a knitting tool to help with the pain. The gal who posted the video appears to have no interest other than to share what she found.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: