This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Funny Restaurant Phone Call

Skylark

Skylark Collaborator

Had the funniest phone call just now. A good friend invited me to her birthday dinner tonight at an Ethiopian restaurant. I called the restaurant and when someone with an accent answered I said I had a "wheat, rye, and barley" allergy. (I wasn't even going to try the word "celiac".) I asked if I could eat their injira or any of the meats or vegetables. I hear the person on the phone turn and ask a question in another language. She comes back, says the injira does have some wheat in it so I can't have it, thanks me, and hangs up. Nothing about the rest of the food.

I'll be eating ahead of time and having a glass of wine tonight. :lol:

Now, the thing that will break your heart is that this friend suspects her idiopathic peripheral neuropathy is gluten related and is theoretically trying the gluten-free diet. I just can't seem to get her to understand the problems with occasional cheating with soy sauce, picking breading off foods, and going out to places like this. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bluebonnet Explorer

oh geesh. :rolleyes: i'm sure you are already glad/relieved you called ahead instead of playing the waiting and wondering game. send your friend to this site. haha. unfortunately the tinest bit of cc here and there over the summer is affecting me big time. (i'm not purposely eating it ... but i am somehow coming in contact with it). :wacko: its driving me nuts trying to figure out the source.

enjoy your evening!

nora-n Rookie

If they would make the injera from teff like the original recipe, it would be fantastic. Ethiopian food used to be gluten free ages ago, and casein free I think too.

I have had teff injera made by a friend from somalia. Distinct sourdough taste, tasty.

lucia Enthusiast

If they would make the injera from teff like the original recipe, it would be fantastic. Ethiopian food used to be gluten free ages ago, and casein free I think too.

I have had teff injera made by a friend from somalia. Distinct sourdough taste, tasty.

Except for the injera (bread), the food will be gluten-free. Ethiopian food is traditionally gluten-free. (I used to frequent such restaurants, because they're also good for vegetarians.) The server may be used to people asking specifically about the injera. That may be why she didn't answer your question beyond that statement. I don't know if you'd want to risk the CC in this place though.

I agree - it's sad that Ethiopian restaurants don't all use the traditional recipes. I heard they cut the dough with wheat flour to save some "dough" (meaning money). :(

curiousgirl Contributor

Had the funniest phone call just now. A good friend invited me to her birthday dinner tonight at an Ethiopian restaurant. I called the restaurant and when someone with an accent answered I said I had a "wheat, rye, and barley" allergy. (I wasn't even going to try the word "celiac".) I asked if I could eat their injira or any of the meats or vegetables. I hear the person on the phone turn and ask a question in another language. She comes back, says the injira does have some wheat in it so I can't have it, thanks me, and hangs up. Nothing about the rest of the food.

I'll be eating ahead of time and having a glass of wine tonight. :lol:

Now, the thing that will break your heart is that this friend suspects her idiopathic peripheral neuropathy is gluten related and is theoretically trying the gluten-free diet. I just can't seem to get her to understand the problems with occasional cheating with soy sauce, picking breading off foods, and going out to places like this. :(

Can you please share with me the SYMPTOMS of her idiopathic peripheral neuropathy? ? I've posted a couple of times about the muscle wasting in my left hand but don't seem to be understood.

Skylark Collaborator

Can you please share with me the SYMPTOMS of her idiopathic peripheral neuropathy? ? I've posted a couple of times about the muscle wasting in my left hand but don't seem to be understood.

In her case it's very much like diabetic neuropathy, but she is not diabetic. As far as I know, her symptoms are sensory. She gets tingling, pins and needles, numb patches, and sometimes outright pain in her feet. As far as I know there is no wasting but she is completely unable to wear tight shoes like pumps because they hurt her too much. She also suffers from vertigo.

She's had full neuro workups and they can't find any reason for the neuropathy other than some B12 deficiency. She has been taking B12 for a while and it hasn't helped so her neurologist suggested gluten. She's not positive for anti-gliadin IgA, so it's a bit of a shot in the dark but nothing else has worked.

Skylark Collaborator

Except for the injera (bread), the food will be gluten-free. Ethiopian food is traditionally gluten-free. (I used to frequent such restaurants, because they're also good for vegetarians.) The server may be used to people asking specifically about the injera. That may be why she didn't answer your question beyond that statement. I don't know if you'd want to risk the CC in this place though.

I agree - it's sad that Ethiopian restaurants don't all use the traditional recipes. I heard they cut the dough with wheat flour to save some "dough" (meaning money). :(

Thanks, Lucia. I've been doing a little reading and I'm seeing the same thing you're saying. Besides the injera it looks like I can eat the food. I think I'll bring some Udi's and ask for my food on separate dishes. I don't usually have issues in Indian restaurants, where they cook pretty much gluten-free except for the bread.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

OMG. So I get to the restaurant and the waiter says "Sorry, but we only do the gluten-free injera on Wednesday and Friday but the rest of the food is always gluten-free." Squeeeee!!!! I just had bad luck on the phone and got someone who didn't speak English well.

So... I had great Ethiopian food with my Udi's I'd put in my purse AND all I have to do is call in the morning and reserve some gluten-free injera on Wednesday or Friday. They even said they would make it on other nights with a day's advance notice. The charge a little more to cover the extra cost of pure teff. How cool is that?

I used to go to this place before I learned I couldn't eat gluten and always loved it. So cool to be able to eat there again.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

In her case it's very much like diabetic neuropathy, but she is not diabetic. As far as I know, her symptoms are sensory. She gets tingling, pins and needles, numb patches, and sometimes outright pain in her feet. As far as I know there is no wasting but she is completely unable to wear tight shoes like pumps because they hurt her too much. She also suffers from vertigo.

She's had full neuro workups and they can't find any reason for the neuropathy other than some B12 deficiency. She has been taking B12 for a while and it hasn't helped so her neurologist suggested gluten. She's not positive for anti-gliadin IgA, so it's a bit of a shot in the dark but nothing else has worked.

I hope you can get her to fully understand what the gluten free diet means. When we have neuro effects we need to be strict with the diet to have them resolve. It also takes more time than getting rid of just tummy issues. It sounds like she may have ataxia and things will only get worse if she doesn't adhere to the diet.

Archived