This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lectin

CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip Community Regular

For all of you that are nighshade and Lectin sensitive any help for a newbie? I've been reading older post and I feel like I need to try these diets. I'm not sure which direction to head in and what do I eat? It seems overwhleming, but I don't want to bloat or have pain. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

For all of you that are nighshade and Lectin sensitive any help for a newbie? I've been reading older post and I feel like I need to try these diets. I'm not sure which direction to head in and what do I eat? It seems overwhleming, but I don't want to bloat or have pain. Thanks!

Diagnosing lectin sensitivities is not an easy task because there are so many lectin families, of which the nightshade one is perhaps the most prevalent on the board. Of course there are lectins in gluten too and in many other grains, including buckwheat, millet and quinoa. I do not tolerate quinoa but the other two are okay. I was sensitive to so many legumes that I have excluded the whole family, including green beans and peas (these I challenged - and reacted to - because I had read that I might tolerate those)., Corn is also a common lectin intolerance, as is dairy. And soy and peanuts rank highly too. So to do it the proper way, you would cut out alll those lectin families, and introduce members of them one at a time. That would mean a diet of meats, rice (preferably white), non-nightshade vegetables, fruits,seeds, kind of the basic paleo diet.

To test lectins,I would start with potato, and then tomato. If both of these are okay you will probably be okay with the rest of the nightshadest. Do not muddy up your testing. Take one lectin food at a time and go through one group at a time. Then move on to the next. When testing a food, try to make it a single ingredient food, or that ingredient combined with only known safe foods, so that the results are clear.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

Diagnosing lectin sensitivities is not an easy task because there are so many lectin families, of which the nightshade one is perhaps the most prevalent on the board. Of course there are lectins in gluten too and in many other grains, including buckwheat, millet and quinoa. I do not tolerate quinoa but the other two are okay. I was sensitive to so many legumes that I have excluded the whole family, including green beans and peas (these I challenged - and reacted to - because I had read that I might tolerate those)., Corn is also a common lectin intolerance, as is dairy. And soy and peanuts rank highly too. So to do it the proper way, you would cut out alll those lectin families, and introduce members of them one at a time. That would mean a diet of meats, rice (preferably white), non-nightshade vegetables, fruits,seeds, kind of the basic paleo diet.

To test lectins,I would start with potato, and then tomato. If both of these are okay you will probably be okay with the rest of the nightshadest. Do not muddy up your testing. Take one lectin food at a time and go through one group at a time. Then move on to the next. When testing a food, try to make it a single ingredient food, or that ingredient combined with only known safe foods, so that the results are clear.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Thank you so much, I was free of all of these today and had the best day so far going gluten-free! I did eat some corn chips, had some pain and bloating, but not as bad. It seems kinda sad to give up alot, but I'm trying to stay positive! I need to try new foods.

I read testing should be after a year free of all of these?? What's your thoughts on this?

mushroom Proficient

Yes, I have worked on the one-year plan. Seems to be right for me. :)

Archived