#16 terri

terri

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 11:28 AM

Thanks Nini,
I just went on their website and ordered some! Along with no rye rye bread and pizzas and a pie shell. Now I'm excited! I had no idea gluten-free onion rolls were out there. YUM!
Terri :D
Terri
Northern Virginia

gluten-free since March 27, 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 02:15 PM

If you want that sub or hamburger, and don't want to eat it with a fork and knife, wrap it in wax paper! I just stack my ingredients on the wax paper, wrap it, fold back the end, and eat it just like I would have if it had a bun on it.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#18 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2005 - 03:23 PM

YW Terri! I love their Onion rolls, but to be honest Gillians Cinnamon Raisin Buns are the bestest!!!! I swear that is one of my most all time fave gluten-free foods.

BTW Sheila, I mourned the loss of Pizza, but as I sit here right now, I am eating a pizza. I started with Amy's Rice Crust Cheese pizza, added Krafts shredded 4 cheese Mexican blend and some cooked taco meat and baked. :YUMMMMMM! My daughter just begged for her third piece.

#19 2old4

2old4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 03:27 PM

Hi guys, has anyone checked out Int'l Delights coffee creamers? I e-mailed the company but haven't heard back anything yet. Thanks-2old4-Patty
gluten-free since 05/19/05
Positive Bloodwork
Patty from Maine

#20 gZimmiZ

gZimmiZ

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 03:56 PM

Dear Sheely,
I am not Celiac but my husband and college aged daughter are, one son is not. After the first diagnoses I felt overwhelmed for them. I didn't know how to cook or how to shop. I made a decision that our home would be totally gluten-free, home is where you should feel safe. I watched them go up and down in their emotions toward celiac disease, It is hard and I am so sorry that you are struggling. They have each other to complain to, this group and others are terrific support. Just know you can always share here and find comfort and understanding. You can find great ideas for shopping, eating out and support for bad days.
Pizza, we like Kinnikinnick pizza crust. I bake the crust first on a stone for 8-10 minutes then top it with sauce, veggies and then cheese and bake.
Eating out is easier now also. Reading posts about restaurant menus is so helpfulI think the thing I hear my two complain about most is feeling hungry all the time. After a year I think we all thought that would pass. Any ideas anyone?
We also order hamburger buns and bagels from Kinnikinnick.
ZimmiZ
God is good all the time and all the time God is good!

#21 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

Bloom where you are planted.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:32 PM

Get some gluten-free bbq sauce and dip regular fritos in the bbq sauce. Maybe you can even get fancy and smear bbq sauce on the fritos and BAKE them in the oven to really get the sauce to sink in. Maybe you would need to broil them. I don't know. I'm a terrible cook. You could try it and let us know. Keep busy, girlfriend. Find new foods to replace the old.
I believe in God.

#22 connole1056

connole1056

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:40 PM

Hi Shelia, I feel for you because of your Twizzlers cravings. What really sucks is that they used to be gluten-free! My daughter was ripped when the ingredients changed! To cope with the cravings in our house, we look for regular food we can eat-nothing from the health food stores or natural food section of the supermarket! When my daughter brings a national brand snack to school she is loving life because she gets to be like everyone else. It really helps her feel like part of the crowd, and at 11 that is important!
I bet some people will disagree with me, but there is no gluten-free pizza that tastes as good as non-gluten-free. There are some crusts and premade pizzas that are good though.
I do not go for the strictly gluten-free recipes. I adapt regular recipes. Most of the time all it takes is a little tweaking and I find using gluten-free cookbooks too depressing. It seems like a silly thing, but it helps with coping.

#23 Sheely

Sheely

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 01:37 PM

Also, Gillian's Foods makes really good gluten-free onion rolls. You can order them online @ http://www.gilliansfoods.com

I will definitely check them out. I miss my onion rolls!

Thanks!

Sheila

#24 Sheely

Sheely

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 01:41 PM

Here's the thing... gluten-free food doesn't taste nasty. Some of it does, but some does some non-gluten-free food too.

I haven't found a gluten-free bread that I like yet. I tried to make a hamburger the other day with Ener-G white rice bread, and it was so godawful, I had to spit it out. Gross, but true. I have had gluten-free spaghetti, it was okay, but kinda mushy. I tried gluten-free elbow macaroni, and it was terrible. I put it in my dog's dish, and even she wouldn't eat it! My son thought that was pretty hysterical.

I know I have to keep looking for the good stuff, but all of this trial and error is frustrating and expensive.

I know I have to deal with it, I'm just venting. As my boss would say, "it is what it is!"

Sheila

#25 Sheely

Sheely

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 01:43 PM

Do you have a Lou Malnatti's pizza place by you? They have a gluten-free pizza

I've never heard of them, but I will definitely check them out. Thanks!

Sheila

#26 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 01:44 PM

Sheila
Try Tinkyada pastas....that brand tastes normal..nobody in my family knew the difference until I told them.

As Tiffany said though some brands of gluten free foods are good and some aren't BUT also some gluten containing foods are good and some aren't. It goes both ways for both kinds of products.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#27 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 01:52 PM

I haven't found a gluten-free bread that I like yet. I tried to make a hamburger the other day with Ener-G white rice bread, and it was so godawful, I had to spit it out. Gross, but true. I have had gluten-free spaghetti, it was okay, but kinda mushy. I tried gluten-free elbow macaroni, and it was terrible. I put it in my dog's dish, and even she wouldn't eat it! My son thought that was pretty hysterical.

Ah-ha! You're trying to replace gluten-filled foods and looking for something to take their same place. That presents a problem that is as much your expectations as it is the food. (And I'm with ya - the Ener-G white rice bread... blech. I'll take cardboard over that any day. Interestingly enough, you can cook with it.)

One of the challenges of this diet is expanding the foods you eat outside of your initial comfort zone. You may not find things to exactly take the place of gluten filled foods you used to have, but you CAN find GOOD TASTING FOOD. It's even harder to do this at first, because it's just plain a huge change to give up those things you liked. But you will get there.

Maybe, for fun, you can list all the foods with gluten that you hated even when you were eating gluten. It might help the mental perspective (it might not... just throwing the idea out). (And I don't mean that in a negative way... perceptions/expectations are tough things and they alone can make us happy or unhappy in identical situations.)

And yeah, try the Tinkyada pasta... your dog would definitely eat it, and I'd bet you'd eat it - happily - too. (Do make sure not to overcook it; overcooking rice pasta will definitely make it mushy.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#28 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2005 - 03:01 PM

Gluten free bread can be tough- I've found two that I actually really like- Whole Foods gluten-free corn bread (it looks like Wonder bread but it's yummy! Best when toasted) and anandama bread. It's not a special brand of bread- it's just a bread that is made from corn meal and molasses. It's good! My favorite breakfast place has it and I always get it when I go there (but not toasted in the regular toaster).

It's hard trying to replace your favorite gluten foods with gluten-free versions. I, personally, think Pamela's gluten free cookies taste like flavored chalk (your dog probably wouldn't like these either!) but I'm going to start experienting with baking again. I have a recipe for chocolate chip cookies that also uses pudding mix to make the cookies extra moist so I am just going to replace the flour with gluten free flour and a gluten-free pudding. I'll let you know how it comes out.

I also started eating and cooking a lot more ethnic foods- like Thai (just watch out for soy sauce and oyster sauce), Mexican and Indian. Thai is definitely my safety food.
And lo and behold, I can still have Reese's peanut butter cups! Yum..... giving those up would have been hard. Hang in there- it's a learning curve (that feels overwhelming sometimes), Beverly

#29 blueshift

blueshift

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 04:30 PM

There's a lot of good substitutes but some food that I always ate doesn't have any wheat or gluten in it all..I was never a fan of the so-called American junk diet.

East Indian food is one example and there is a buffet in walking distance from me that I cater to at least once a week..Curry is not the only thing that they have..the incredible number of different spices with such exotic tastes open up a huge variety. Just stay away from their bread and samosas..

Want your burger to taste better than ever? Wrap it in Romaine lettuce, trapping in the juicy flavor better than bread ever did..

Want a wild desert? Get pineapple and soak and drown it in worcestershire sauce..
then down it..Awesome!

Tonight I had catfish and quinoa with corn..

Food for Life's brown rice bread toasted has any bread on the market backed off the map...White rice bread? Yuck..Sheila, change from that stuff..

The big mistake I made at first was to buy flax snacks..(yuck)..

Want a great shake? I mix one scoop of RevitalX with one cup frozen cherries, one banana and cover it with red grape juice..Blend...No shake anywhere comes near it.

There is always chocolate..Still a faithful companion to many here..

Pizza made with rice flour exists..Amy's makes it. Check your local health store or Whole Foods Market. Corn pasta and quinoa pasta is just as tasty as semolina was only easier to go down..Most pasta sauce is safe..

Thai food was mentioned here by other posters.

Pop corn is still around..

I think that there is an adjustment period to reorganize and re-evaluate what is in and what is out..I have been gluten-free for about a month and just this week I must have found at least 6 more things that I ate before that are still OK..Just check the label. Tortillas are most usually made from corn flour..Tacos are not..

Hang in there..You will adjust and get used to it..
blueshift

from Chicago suburbs near O'Hare

#30 Guest_imsohungry_*

Guest_imsohungry_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2005 - 04:41 PM

(And I'm with ya - the Ener-G white rice bread... blech. I'll take cardboard over that any day. Interestingly enough, you can cook with it.)

I agree with ya Tiffany...Ener-G white rice bread is disgusting!

I like Whole Foods Tomato/Garlic bread a lot. I also use my breadmaker to make my own bread. Nothing complicated, I toss the few ingredients in and press start (I'm not a cook). :)

I also agree that the trial and error is expensive, but after you find (or learn to make) that "perfect" food, it is worth it.

I am currently addicted to Amy's meals for lunch and something in my crockpot for dinner.

My hubby actually loves Ms. Leeper's (sp?) lasagna dinner and the beef stroganoff (sp?) . It is like a gluten-free Hamburger Helper-type meal. A VERY cheap and easy dinner. B)

Good luck to everyone who has just become gluten-free! ;) -Julie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: