Tidings

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:54 PM

Hello Twinkle-toez,

You wrote:
"I'm being checked out for MS and neurological problems as I have alot of symptoms consistent with CNS demylenation" as well as
"I also used to do diet coke..."

You might want to research ASPARTAME and DIET SODAS and HEALTH PROBLEMS they can cause.

Diet Coke Ingredients:
Carbonated Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Caramel Color, Phosphoric Acid, Natural Flavors, Aspartame, Potassium Benzoate, Citric Acid

Source: http://www.xomba.com...oda_ingredients

You could Google "excitotoxins, aspartame, myelin" - Maybe find some surprising info.

Although many (including apparently the FDA) maintain that Aspartame is harmless, many others (including doctors/researchers) maintain it is quite dangerous to various organs and cells, such as retinal (eye) cells, brain cells, and myelin sheath.

Just a thought. Good luck--and by the way, I'm also plagued with sporadic night sweats, from unknown cause--but it definitely is NOT Aspartame causing them!
Thanks to Sarah at personalizedcause.com for allowing me to adapt their beautiful green Celiac Awareness ribbon as my "avatar" graphic.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 twinkle-toez

twinkle-toez

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:40 AM

Hello Twinkle-toez,

You wrote:
"I'm being checked out for MS and neurological problems as I have alot of symptoms consistent with CNS demylenation" as well as
"I also used to do diet coke..."

You might want to research ASPARTAME and DIET SODAS and HEALTH PROBLEMS they can cause.

Thank you Tidings for the heads up. I used to put TONNES of artificial sweetener in my tea (or in the rare occasions that I drank it - coffee) and I did get raised eyebrows from some people, but I always just told them that "I had bigger fish to fry, and when I was done with those I'd move onto the tinier ones"... I am aware about the high controversy over whether aspartame is detrimental or safe - and quite aware of the bias of alot of the studies that claim it to be safe. I truly just thought that my eating disorder was the first and foremost thing I needed to take care of, and that artificial sweeteners really weren't that big of a deal... I have since re-examined things. I am trying my best to cut all artificial sweeteners out of my diet - replacing them in my tea with stevia, which has a bit of a peculiar taste that I'm still adjusting to. Every once in awhile I cave and have a diet coke or put splenda or something in my tea, but I'm doing reasonably well with it... But thank you for the advice. It is greatly appreciated.

#18 JeepWidow

JeepWidow

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:52 PM

I'm sure there could be many causes, but personally my nightsweats seemed to increase whenever I drank alcohol, didn't seem to take very much at all.

#19 BoydBT

BoydBT

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:53 PM

My night sweats have about stopped. YEAH :P

#20 reddgreen

reddgreen

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:43 PM

Hi Twinkle-Toes,
Thanks for posting, this is great information. I've had horrific night sweats on and off for years. When they come, just like you mentioned, I wake up and my head is soaked like someone threw a bucket of water on me. I haven't been able to correlate with food, but I only just found out about gluten/coeliac today, surprisingly, by an accidental web search which led me to a few wiki entries and this blog. I can stand the night sweats, but, akk, the GI issues are just horrific, so bad I can't stand it any longer. Ive had many useless trips to GI doctors, none even mentioned that I could possibly have coeliac or gluten allergies. Thanks to everyone, and also for suggesting elimination diets to find out if some other food is helping to cause the problems.
Im calling my GI doctor tomorrow morning and pushing hard for gluten/coeliac tests, hoping to get to the bottom of 20 years of very awful GI issues.
Best luck to everyone to get back on the road to good health!
Regards,
Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: