8 replies to this topic

#1 Jencat

Jencat

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:11 AM

Hi, I was wondering if any one else wakes up with a swollen/puffy face after being glutened. I have noticed this happening everytime I have contact with gluten :( along with all the usual happenings after being glutened.-Jenny

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:40 AM

Hi, I was wondering if any one else wakes up with a swollen/puffy face after being glutened. I have noticed this happening everytime I have contact with gluten :( along with all the usual happenings after being glutened.-Jenny

This happens to my eyes only - sure way to tell when I've ingested something I shoudn't have. For me this also includes nuts, dairy, soy, and unorganic peanuts - go figure!!!
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

#3 Wheatfreedude

Wheatfreedude

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:19 AM

My head usually looks AND feels like one of those balloons in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. LOL! Literally, I feel like I have a head cold.

When this happens, glass after glass of water is your best cure. I typically don't add ice as it's easier for me to guzzle when it's not too cold.

Knock on wood... I haven't had that experience in months.

~Wheatfreedude~
Self taught body builder
Fitness fanatic
Avid Snowboarder and Surfer
Over 40 and single digit body fat
Getting stronger every week

#4 Janelee63

Janelee63

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:13 PM

My head usually looks AND feels like one of those balloons in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. LOL! Literally, I feel like I have a head cold.

When this happens, glass after glass of water is your best cure. I typically don't add ice as it's easier for me to guzzle when it's not too cold.

Knock on wood... I haven't had that experience in months.

~Wheatfreedude~

Ummmmmm okay Wheatfreedude...can I get abs like that if I go gluten free?????

#5 missceliac2010

missceliac2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:23 AM

Hi, I was wondering if any one else wakes up with a swollen/puffy face after being glutened.

Hi Jenny!

Yes, absolutely you can get a puffy face from being glutened (and other puffy stuff!) I went to a wedding a few weeks ago and spent the better part of it accidentally glutening myself despite my best efforts. Now their are all these family pictures of me looking like a whale floating around on facebook! My tummy is all big...I totally wore the wrong dress for how big my tummy was....I think I thought it had gone down quite a bit, and it had, but it was still big... ugh! Anyway, when you get puffy, ride it out. Hydrate, eat clean etc... And STAY AWAY from CAMERAS! LOL. The last thing you want it your glutened puffy face and body immortalized on film! :ph34r:
Heather C.
July, 2010: Diagnosed with Celiac Disease via elimination diet and strong Lactose Intolerance via blood work. My symptoms of glutening include 1. extreme abdominal distention, 2. severe abdominal pain, 3. gas, 4. mood swings/generally negative and unpleasant to be around!

#6 alissar

alissar

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:03 AM

I am SO happy I came across your post. I am 26 y/o and have been waking up with a very puffy face/swollen eyelids since I was about 16. It has always bothered me SO much. In April, I found out that I have Celiac Disease. I have started a gluten-free diet, and my puffy eyes/face in the morning (puffy is an understatement, they are so swollen) has drastically improved. Some days they are almost gone. But, it feels like every time I go out to dinner, I wake up with a swollen face/eyes again and start the process all over again. How long does it take for your morning swelling to go away after being glutened? I feel like it takes me about 2 weeks, not sure if thats normal, but I am new at all of this. Thank you for your post. It helps to know other people have the same issues. Do you think the swelling will ever stop completely? Has it for anyone else? Thank again!

#7 stephaniesherie

stephaniesherie

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

I get puffy eyes, not so much face.
It's really weird too because sometimes it's so severe that it feel like my eyelid gets "stuck" to my eye brow area. LOL
But yes, I get puffy eyes, and some tingling in my face.

#8 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:27 AM

Yes, funny you should mention it today. My tongue too feels numb.

#9 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:34 PM

I get puffy eyes from traces of gluten and from soy.
It is the way I know for sure something wrong got into me.
I hate that symptom.
vitaminc deficiencies can also cause it.
-But I would say yes to glutened body equals puffy face...and sometimes feet. Lasts way too long for me...several days to weeks.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: