This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sorting Through Inconsistencies

beachlvr

beachlvr Newbie

I am newly diagnosed, 2 weeks ago, and have been scouring the web looking for info. on safe foods; however, I'm finding inconsistencies in what is considered "safe" to eat, so I'm looking for a little more guidance. A couple of days into the diagnosis I became so frustrated thinking that I wouldn't be able to eat anything, that I just sat and cried for a few minutes. Now, I see that I can eat a variety of foods, but I'm uncertain about a few and would like some opinions from more "experienced" gluten-free eaters.

These are the foods that I'm uncertain about eating:

1. Corn Tortillas-should they be made at a plant that is careful of cross-contamination?

2. Chips-can we eat all types of chips? I bought organic corn chips at Trader Joes and there was a warning about the chips being made on a machine w/other products (wheat being one of them).

3. Bbq sauce

4. Canned chicken-I usually buy the Kirkland brand

5. Chocolate syrup

6. Carmel Flavoring

7. Ice Cream

8. Lunch meat

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I sort through all of this. Please let me know what you think. As side note, my hair seems to be falling out more since I've been gluten free..any thoughts on this? I'll see my doctor next month, but was just wondering what others think about this.

Thanks for helping!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

1. Corn Tortillas-should they be made at a plant that is careful of cross-contamination?

2. Chips-can we eat all types of chips? I bought organic corn chips at Trader Joes and there was a warning about the chips being made on a machine w/other products (wheat being one of them).

3. Bbq sauce

5. Chocolate syrup

6. Carmel Flavoring

7. Ice Cream

8. Lunch meat

Hi there. I can help with a few.

1. Corn tortillas - Mission brand is made on dedicated lines.

2. I have never reacted to corn chips but some super-sensitive folks have because of cross-contamination. I did react to potato chips once. Many flavored chips do have gluten. Lay's Stax are made on dedicated lines and are gluten-free.

3. BBQ sauce - read the label. Some brands are gluten-free, others are not. I like Sweet Baby Ray's.

4. Kirkland canned chicken is fine.

5. Hershey's chocolate syrup was gluten-free when I last checked.

6. no clue

7. Ice cream - read the label. Best to stick to "natural" brands with relatively few ingredients like Breyer's. The more processed ingredients a food has, the higher the chance for it to become CC somewhere. Obviously skip the brownie and cookie flavors.

8. Lunch meat - usually gluten-free but check the label.

Gemini Experienced

I am newly diagnosed, 2 weeks ago, and have been scouring the web looking for info. on safe foods; however, I'm finding inconsistencies in what is considered "safe" to eat, so I'm looking for a little more guidance. A couple of days into the diagnosis I became so frustrated thinking that I wouldn't be able to eat anything, that I just sat and cried for a few minutes. Now, I see that I can eat a variety of foods, but I'm uncertain about a few and would like some opinions from more "experienced" gluten-free eaters.

3. Bbq sauce

5. Chocolate syrup

6. Carmel Flavoring

7. Ice Cream

8. Lunch meat

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I sort through all of this. Please let me know what you think. As side note, my hair seems to be falling out more since I've been gluten free..any thoughts on this? I'll see my doctor next month, but was just wondering what others think about this.

Thanks for helping!!!

Caramel flavoring..... I assume you are referring to caramel color? It is gluten free as corn is used in the process. Corn makes for a better product over barley malt, which in rare instances may be used. I have never run into caramel color that wasn't gluten free.

Lunch meat is tricky and not guaranteed gluten-free. There are brands which are gluten-free but if you have them put it on the slicer with all the other cold cuts, it'll be CC'd. I only eat pre-packaged, certified gluten free cold cuts, which can be found at Whole Foods market. Applegate Farms is one brand that comes to mind. Boar's Head are also gluten-free and if you can get to the grocery store early enough in the morning and be the first customer, then you'll likely be fine.

They clean the slicers every night so no CC worries there. Otherwise, I wouldn't eat them.

heatherjane Contributor

3. Bbq sauce

5. Chocolate syrup

6. Carmel Flavoring

7. Ice Cream

8. Lunch meat

Thanks for helping!!!

All Kraft products will have any gluten ingredients listed clearly on their labeling, so it should be pretty easy to figure out with those. You'll just have to read closely. (This includes Oscar Mayer.) Hormel Naturals cold cuts are gluten free and say so on the package. With ice cream, the majority of brands are gluten free except for those with obvious gluten ingredients, like cookies or cake. (Edy's ice cream has a list of their gluten free flavors on their website.)

beachlvr Newbie

Thanks for all of the useful comments, I'll definitely be able to shop quicker and easier knowing what I'm able to eat!!

Susanna Newbie

The shopping and figuring-out-what-you-can-eat in general gets a lot better after you adjust to this whole deal. Eating in restaurants, at friends' houses, parties/potlucks, it all gets easier with time. You'll see.

Most ice creams are gluten-free--just use your head tho--avoid cookie and cream, birthday cake kinds, etc. I've never found a rocky road or a fudge ripple or a mint chip or vanilla carton with gluten in it.

I'm pasting in my write up of gluten-free newbie tips--hope it helps.

gluten-free newbie tips--now you can eat to treat, and soon feel better. Here are some key coping strategies to get you started.

1. Know that you will grieve your old favorite gluten-filled foods. I actually tear up when I see a brioche sometimes. Grieving is normal, BUT IT IS NOT EASY OR COMFORTABLE. People around you will eat treats you can't have and you will feel sad and isolated. Strategy: stock your car, office, purse, backpack, secret drawer at home with gluten-free treats you can reach for any time you are feeling deprived. This really helped me. I recommend Baby Ruth Bars, Snicker Bars, Lara Bars, Dove Dark Chocolate, meringue cookies, macaroon cookies (read labels), Butterfinger, Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. You get the idea. Also

cap6 Enthusiast

I am 5 month into this and I bought the Gluten Free Grocery Shopping Guide which has been a life saver although you still have to read all the ingredients. Made me feel like I could eat regular stuff again.

As for the grief part ~ yeah, well I am still working on that! It is the hardest when the family want to go to a pizza place. We are out of state visiting with my daughter & family who I only see once a year and that was their choice. That tested me to the very limit as pizza is my favorite! I ate my salad and didn't look at their plates. The same tonight only it was Mexican which I also love. This is hard although tell me it gets better! It's hard to insist on a gluten-free place when you are with all of the grandkids & the time with them is so limited. Oh well. I have a little private pity party and when no guests arrive I get over it. lol

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beachlvr Newbie

The shopping and figuring-out-what-you-can-eat in general gets a lot better after you adjust to this whole deal. Eating in restaurants, at friends' houses, parties/potlucks, it all gets easier with time. You'll see.

Most ice creams are gluten-free--just use your head tho--avoid cookie and cream, birthday cake kinds, etc. I've never found a rocky road or a fudge ripple or a mint chip or vanilla carton with gluten in it.

I'm pasting in my write up of gluten-free newbie tips--hope it helps.

gluten-free newbie tips--now you can eat to treat, and soon feel better. Here are some key coping strategies to get you started.

1. Know that you will grieve your old favorite gluten-filled foods. I actually tear up when I see a brioche sometimes. Grieving is normal, BUT IT IS NOT EASY OR COMFORTABLE. People around you will eat treats you can't have and you will feel sad and isolated. Strategy: stock your car, office, purse, backpack, secret drawer at home with gluten-free treats you can reach for any time you are feeling deprived. This really helped me. I recommend Baby Ruth Bars, Snicker Bars, Lara Bars, Dove Dark Chocolate, meringue cookies, macaroon cookies (read labels), Butterfinger, Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. You get the idea. Also

Archived