This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Disease As A Pre Existing Condition...

'lynrn

'lynrn Apprentice

I am sorry if this is the wrong section of the forums. I am a 60 yr old woman, not yet diagnosed by the medical community as celiac currently. I was diagnosed as a 4 month old infant and raised gluten free for many years. The problem was, I was always told it was a wheat allergy that I had outgrown. I was also lactose intolerant. I still remember lactaid acid milk, bananas and rice pablum as the staples of my diet growing up. I always had stomach issues, and severe fatigue issues as a small child even though I didn't sleep...still do.

About five years ago, my symptoms looked like a check list for celiac disease and google pointed me in the right direction. I have attempted gluten free since then. Yes, much has improved. I still have major problems. I never realized all the issues involved...cross contamination being the biggest. I thought just eliminate gluten and I would be fine. My eldest daughter clued me in when she genetically positive to gluten and also came back soya and caseine positive. I suspect these are also issues for me.

My problem...I just emigrated to the US from Canada. I don't go on health care with my employer until October 1/2010. Scary enough trying to find the correct doctor but does this now become a pre-esiting, not covered condition? I am a nurse and used to work in the US. I am aware of the ramifications of p.re-existing conditions. I have not been diagnosed as an adult as celiac. What about the other conditions that I am treated for, that are probably related to/ caused by untreated celiac disease????

I need to see a doctor but am scared for what this may entail. I have severe osteoporosis (bone loss of 46%) have had the classic herpes like rash....they said it was shingles until it crossed the midline of my body..severe fatigue, still. I ache ...but you have osteo arthritis... liver/ pacreatic enzymes are at times off the chart...Are you an alcholoic???? I WISH!!!!! wine makes me sick...Thanks to these forums I know why my fav red wine aged in oak casks... I smashed a foot and was left with reflex sympathetic dystrophy..pain is incredible at times...now I know why it is worse...oops...I was glutened...

Any help is greatly appreciated. I just moved in to my own place after living with my son and his family for four months. I have never been sooo sick. I lost 35 lbs. No one could get that my condiments were off limits.,,,,ditto my cooking utensils...They made my rice pasta in water after theirs....I found out the hard way. My sensitivity is through the roof right now. I am a nurse and have been for 40+ yrs... I am trying to work but finding it really hard. I want to get help in October but don't want to say the wrong thing that will get my claim denied........

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I am glad you realize that no one really outgrows celiac. Thankfully doctors are now more aware of it. A lot of your continued problems are likely due to cross contamination as you have realized and hopefully things will improve now that you are in your own place and can be strictly gluten free. Since you haven't been diagnosed as an adult it is not in your records. Since doctors are for the most part clueless about celiac in this country it would likely take you years to get diagnosed. Sorry if that sounds jaded. You could tell your new doctor that you suspect it and ask for the panels and vitamin and mineral levels, since you are already gluten free chances are really good that the celiac panel will show a false negative but you will get an idea where you stand nutrient wise. Screening for osteo is something that is routinely done and since you will have that showing as a preexisting condition if your new insurance doesn't cover it many places have free or low cost screenings. You may find that your arthritic issues get much better once you have gotten the CC out of your system but it may take a little time.

I hope you are feeling better soon and do be strict about the diet.

LauraBeth Rookie

I know at least in California, you cannot be denied due to pre-existing conditions if you are applying on a group plan through your employer. Individual plans are a different story. As long as you don't have an "official" diagnosis, it shouldn't be a problem- honestly I don't think that's one of the things they're incredibly concerned about anyway. The main things are heart or liver problems, history of cancer, super high cholesterol, etc. etc.

kareng Grand Master

I know our insurance through work cannot deny based on preexisting conditions. They change insurance companies every year. People change jobs all the time and get new insurance. Go to your Human Resources Dept and ask. Don't go into each illness, just ask the general question about pre-existing conditions. If you feel you must say something, pick something small, like a touch of arthritis or better , just say allergies.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I think pre-existing conditions have to be diagnosed. If you are afraid you won't be able to get individual insurance, I wouldn't worry about that. As someone else said, most companies deny you coverage for history of major illnesses like cancer. And in some places it's illegal for them to deny you even for that. Your premiums may be higher because of your age and other health issues, but I would be surprised if they actually denied you any insurance. Just be honest about all the health conditions you have been diagnosed with and read all the fine print in your policy to know what tests are covered and what are not. If you have a really good job with health insurance as a benefit, you may also be able to get a health flex spending account. You can set aside a certain amount of each paycheck into the flex spending account tax free, then use the money in the account to pay for things like co-pays and tests that your insurance doesn't cover. And another thing to keep in mind is that if you plan to become a US citizen you may be eligible for Medicare at age 65. I'm not sure how long you have to be a citizen to qualify, but you can look into that now while you are only 60. Here's the info on Medicare: Open Original Shared Link Of course it doesn't help you right now, but it's an option if you find private insurance is way to expensive at the age of 65.

'lynrn Apprentice

I think pre-existing conditions have to be diagnosed. If you are afraid you won't be able to get individual insurance, I wouldn't worry about that. As someone else said, most companies deny you coverage for history of major illnesses like cancer. And in some places it's illegal for them to deny you even for that. Your premiums may be higher because of your age and other health issues, but I would be surprised if they actually denied you any insurance. Just be honest about all the health conditions you have been diagnosed with and read all the fine print in your policy to know what tests are covered and what are not. If you have a really good job with health insurance as a benefit, you may also be able to get a health flex spending account. You can set aside a certain amount of each paycheck into the flex spending account tax free, then use the money in the account to pay for things like co-pays and tests that your insurance doesn't cover. And another thing to keep in mind is that if you plan to become a US citizen you may be eligible for Medicare at age 65. I'm not sure how long you have to be a citizen to qualify, but you can look into that now while you are only 60. Here's the info on Medicare: Open Original Shared Link Of course it doesn't help you right now, but it's an option if you find private insurance is way to expensive at the age of 65.

Thanks everyone for the info. I am fortunate when it comes to Medicare....I worked in the US for 12 yrs previously and have my "40" quarters in. I think that makes me qualified at age 65 yrs. I am now a landed immigrant. I have just signed up for a flex spending account. Not exactly certain how much to put aside but am putting some there. So much has changed. As for that really good job....it seems that health care profs...usually have lousy benefits...lol It is almost like employers know just how expensive it really can be. Now for the challenge of finding that doctor who won't think I am totally crazy!!!!

Archived