6 replies to this topic

#1 MissyJoy

MissyJoy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:18 AM

I have been gluten free for over a year, and now have been diagnosed with Chronic Lyme Disease. As I was taking my 3 antibiotics last night, it suddenly occurred to me that there might be wheat in them. I don't know why I didn't ask 2 months ago when I began taking them! But I'm wondering now! The pharmacist said he didn't have a list of ingredients, and that I needed to contact the laboratory, which I will be doing when they open today.

Does anyone know if these antibiotics contain wheat?

Clarithromycin 500 mg (Biaxin)
Doxycycline Hyclate 100 Mg
Cefuroxime Axetil 500 Mg (Ceftin)

I am self-diagnosed - tired of going to the doctor's offices for them to tell me that they don't know what's wrong with me. I have been told the bowel problems are IBS for over 15 years - "Eat more fiber" is their only suggestion. June 2009, decided on my own to eat grain free and focus my diet on mainly whole foods.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,741 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:59 AM

They may of may not. The best way to find out is what you are doing, calling the company that makes them. If they are generic you need to call whenever you refill as companys can change binders at will. Some companies do have a not wheat starch policy and they will state so when you call. Since in some places wheat starch is considered gluten free it is a good idea to tell them you have a wheat allergy not just celiac.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 MissyJoy

MissyJoy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:20 AM

Calling the pharmacutical companies was easier than I thought it would be. I looked up their numbers on the internet, and they answered my questions very easily. All of my medications are gluten free.

One of the customer representatives even told me that it would be helpful in my search for information on my medicines to have the pharmacy give me the NDC # for each medication. It is an 11 digit code that will make sure that the pharmacutical company and I are talking about the exact same medication. I appreciated that!

I am self-diagnosed - tired of going to the doctor's offices for them to tell me that they don't know what's wrong with me. I have been told the bowel problems are IBS for over 15 years - "Eat more fiber" is their only suggestion. June 2009, decided on my own to eat grain free and focus my diet on mainly whole foods.

#4 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:48 AM

On perscriptions, you want to find out before you buy them and leave the pharmacy if they are gluten-free. Get the info from the pharmacist and call first. If you take them home & they aren't gluten-free, you might be able to get a new script from your doc but your insurance won't pay for the same med twice. The pharm most likely won't take them back and trade them for the new ones. This is especially important with controlled substances like pain killers.

Just another Happy Celiac Thought For The Day! :)

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 MissyJoy

MissyJoy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:50 AM

On perscriptions, you want to find out before you buy them and leave the pharmacy if they are gluten-free. Get the info from the pharmacist and call first. If you take them home & they aren't gluten-free, you might be able to get a new script from your doc but your insurance won't pay for the same med twice. The pharm most likely won't take them back and trade them for the new ones. This is especially important with controlled substances like pain killers.

Just another Happy Celiac Thought For The Day! :)

I suppose I was blessed this time - since I had already paid for them and taken them!

Dealing with all of these details involving Celiac and Lyme and Medications.... what to eat, when to eat, what not to eat, what to take on an empty stomach, how many hours after eating can I take this supplement.... I was going to use wheat being in my meds as an excuse to quit.... I was going to just eat gluten free meats, veggies and fruits and just forget about the rest. I am just tired and weary from it all. But yeah for me - no wheat in those meds, so I guess I'll have to keep taking them. :(

#6 oceangirl

oceangirl

oceangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

MissyJoy,

Both my son and daughter (17 and 20) were on doxycycline last year for Lyme and I just want to warn you (as you probably already know) that it can make you a bit sick to your stomach. Just so you don't think it's gluten... Hopefully, you won't have that reaction.

Get better,
lisa

#7 MissyJoy

MissyJoy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:44 AM

MissyJoy,

Both my son and daughter (17 and 20) were on doxycycline last year for Lyme and I just want to warn you (as you probably already know) that it can make you a bit sick to your stomach. Just so you don't think it's gluten... Hopefully, you won't have that reaction.

Get better,
lisa

Thanks for that! My stomach is doing surprisingly well. It is the fatigue and brain fog that made me wonder about gluten contamination. Unfortunately, Celiac, Lyme and med side effects all share the same symptoms, so it's hard to know what is causing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: