Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Are All Ginger Ales Gluten-Free?

5 posts in this topic

Something I had yesterday or the day before has got my belly not feeling too happy. I've felt really great for the past 2 weeks since going dairy-free. (Been gluten-free for about 5 weeks.) The only thing I had that was new was ginger ale.

Could that be it? Or maybe I'm reacting to something else now? :huh:

Ads by Google:

Could that be it? Or maybe I'm reacting to something else now? :huh:

There is sometimes caramel coloring in ginger ale but in the US, unless is specifies wheat, it is made from corn.

It could be the carbonation, maybe?

If you have a stomach which is more on the sensitive side, the carbonation may be upsetting it?

Carbonation always made my stomach growl at me.

It's one of the main reasons that I rarely drink soda.

Could be I guess but it feels the way I used to feel before changing my diet. We don't keep soda in the house and I rarely drink it at all. But I went out with some friends the other night and while sitting at the bar, I didn't want just water.

I only occasionally drank before getting sick and now there is no way I want any alcohol after JUST getting my body back in a somewhat working order.

It's only been about a week and a half of feeling better but man I don't miss this every day!

The high fructose corn syrup can be very hard for some to digest. Some can't have it at all. My son has found that if he has food with HFCS he has no issues. On an empty stomach sometimes it bothers him and doesn't feel right for a couple of days.

Could be I guess but it feels the way I used to feel before changing my diet. We don't keep soda in the house and I rarely drink it at all. But I went out with some friends the other night and while sitting at the bar, I didn't want just water.

I only occasionally drank before getting sick and now there is no way I want any alcohol after JUST getting my body back in a somewhat working order.

It's only been about a week and a half of feeling better but man I don't miss this every day!

Chances are the soda came from a 'speed bar' and it could have been CC'd or even not gluten free. Not all sodas are and the formulations in speed bars are different from the ones in a bottle or can. When out I always get a soda or another drink that the bar or restaurant has in a can or bottle to be absolutely safe.