Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Mellow Mushroom (Pizza)

15 posts in this topic

Our local Mellow Mushroom has started advertising a gluten free pizza. I'm worried about cc because of all the regular pizza they make. Has anyone tried a Mellow Mushroom? Results?

For now I only eat pizza I make at home, but it would be nice to have it as an eat-out option.

Ads by Google:

Our local Mellow Mushroom has started advertising a gluten free pizza. I'm worried about cc because of all the regular pizza they make. Has anyone tried a Mellow Mushroom? Results?

For now I only eat pizza I make at home, but it would be nice to have it as an eat-out option.

I have tried it once and it was yummy. They prepare the gluten free pizzas in a separate room from the regular pizzas that has it's own station with toppings that are only used on the gluten free pizzas, so there's no cross-contamination possibility from the toppings. I know because I asked about getting cheddar cheese instead of mozzarella and I was told they do not have a cheddar that is safe (meaning it all had a risk of cc). The waiter even went back to the kitchen to double-check if they could do cheddar safely for me. Mozz was the only choice for cheese, but the list of other gluten free toppings was long. Just be aware they charge $1.75 for each topping beyond cheese. The gluten free pizzas have dedicated stones (or boards? I forget which it was) for baking it safely. I got three meals out my pizza and didn't get sick at all. It's thin crust, but very filling IMO. The only size is medium, but it came cut in the same number of slices as the large pizza that my friends ordered.

Absolutely wonderful experience there tonight. It was great!!

Son loved the pizza... we looked up the nutritional information online to bolus for his carbs. He ate the whole pizza with a smile on his face!!

Yep, I've enjoyed it several times with no problems! They also have gluten free beer there :)

We may try this this weekend. I'm needing to make a trip to Earth Fare. Since we will be making a trip and are in the same area, might as well try it.

We may try this this weekend. I'm needing to make a trip to Earth Fare. Since we will be making a trip and are in the same area, might as well try it.

Are you in Tennessee by any chance?

So I guess we are the only ones that didn't like it! I found the crust really "ricey" and it was VERY expensive. My son, the one who is gluten-free, wouldn't eat it. We ordered a white pizza and I think it was $17 for a medium.

Having said that, I really do appreciate them doing that. It can be so hard to eat out gluten free, so I'm glad to see more places add things like this to their menu.

So I guess we are the only ones that didn't like it! I found the crust really "ricey" and it was VERY expensive. My son, the one who is gluten-free, wouldn't eat it. We ordered a white pizza and I think it was $17 for a medium.

Having said that, I really do appreciate them doing that. It can be so hard to eat out gluten free, so I'm glad to see more places add things like this to their menu.

Which one did you go to? Both the MMs I've been to have been delicious (and I'm pretty picky on taste -- in general on any food, but also because we frequently make gluten-free pizza from scratch at home), and reasonably priced. The last time, I went with my partner, my Mom, and a close friend. I got a gluten-free pizza, and my partner and friend both got gluten pizzas of their own. One of theirs cost more than my gluten-free pizza did -- but they got more toppings, which upped their costs.

Are you in Tennessee by any chance?

Yes. I'll send you a PM.

I finally tried Mellow Mushroom and found the pizza to be no better than just OK, but BOY was it expensive! I don't think I'll be going back. A buck seventy five per topping is way out of range with other local pizza places, both chain and indy.

I finally tried Mellow Mushroom and found the pizza to be no better than just OK, but BOY was it expensive! I don't think I'll be going back. A buck seventy five per topping is way out of range with other local pizza places, both chain and indy.

I would have to agree. When I wrote my post above the Mellow Mushroom was the first gluten-free pizza I had tried so it was pretty good to me. I have since figured out ways to make a much better pizza crust at home. It is nice to have the option of a pizza place where you can get gluten free safely and everyone else can get what they want but the price is so high I wouldn't go there very often even if it was local to where I'm living now. It's the same thing for Zpizza which has a comparable gluten-free crust. Now that I can't eat cheese at all having a really good crust and lots of toppings is more important to me. I would rather make a better tasting crust at home for less money.

I tried two MM's in Atlanta. The first one was out of gluten-free crusts and the second one made the pizza, but I got very sick afterward.

The pizza tasted fine. I got very, very sick. And I'm not a reactor to anything except gluten. I guess it's just the risk we take with a careless or untrained employee or cc or something.

Which one did you go to? Both the MMs I've been to have been delicious (and I'm pretty picky on taste -- in general on any food, but also because we frequently make gluten-free pizza from scratch at home), and reasonably priced. The last time, I went with my partner, my Mom, and a close friend. I got a gluten-free pizza, and my partner and friend both got gluten pizzas of their own. One of theirs cost more than my gluten-free pizza did -- but they got more toppings, which upped their costs.

We went to the one in Orlando. It was right after they introduced it so it's possible the kinks weren't worked out yet. Or we were all just being too picky!

We tried our local MM about 4 months ago. It was nice to have an option for eating out. We all liked it enough, but I agree the crust was a little grainy and thin.

My oldest son(almost 11) went there yesterday with his friend. He ordered a gluten free pizza. I sent him with some money to pay for it(his friend's parents never let him pay though). When he got home I asked how the pizza was and if he chipped in some money. He told me his pizza was free! I said "free"? Apparently his gluten free pizza got cross contaminated and they had to make him another one. They gave it to him for free because he was understanding and patient.

I was impressed that they made him aware of the cross contamination and then made him a new one. He only brought home two pieces and his brother scarfed them down in a heartbeat.

ive eaten at the mellow mushroom (in collierville TN) twice since my diagnoses and both times i got sick. the first time the waitress was pretty ditsy and put bell pepers on my pizza too when im allergic so my throat immediately swelled up and pizza was stuck in my throat for a good hour. the second time i went was a few months later, this time it was better, no immediate reaction and they even had vegan cheese for me. but i ended up sick a few hours later, comepletly wiped out and sharp pains in my side. im also allergic to soy and my soy reaction can be similar to my gluten reaction so i dont know which it was but i couldnt get out of bed the next two days. i give up trying to eat outside of my home. if you can eat out i highly suggest mellow mushroom its amazing.