Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How To Tell My Boss I Can't Work In The Bakery...

• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

#1 tweeks2010

tweeks2010

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

Hi, just needed some advice on how to tell my boss that I can't work in the bakery anymore because it is making me sick....should i get a doctors note? Also...if I do deli shifts...will the gluten in some of the meats affect me? It is just slicing the meats...and we make like 8 sandwhiches a day...the rest is veggies/fruits.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:31 AM

A doctor's note never hurts. I doubt the gluten in meats will be anywhere as bad as all the bread and flour in a bakery. Good luck!

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,741 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:55 AM

You should be fine in the deli as for one thing you will be wearing gloves when your handling the food. A doctors note sure won't hurt to get the boss to listen.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:37 AM

And not many deli meats that I know of have gluten.

richard

#5 tweeks2010

tweeks2010

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:45 AM

And not many deli meats that I know of have gluten.

richard

Just so people are aware of this...alot of deli meats do either contain gluten or are processed by/beside or in a no gluten free facility. Even hamburger or hamburger patties can have gluten in them. In the deli I work in there are only 3 kinds of gluten free meets..but I can't eat them because they are beside all of the other meats. Unless you go to a natural deli/butcher shop...or buy pre-packaged meats that says gluten free. I know Grimms meats are mostly gluten free...but like i said the would have to be prepackaged or seperated from the other meats at the deli. It's probably different in a big city though. I have a pop. of 3500 here...so we don't have a massive deli. Lol.

#6 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:50 AM

I work in a convenience store that has a deli. None of the meats that we sell have gluten in them, so check the labels of what your's sells. When I have to make sandwiches, I wear gloves and never touch the bread or hold it near my face. I wipe the sandwich counters with a wet paper towel, and never put my own food on it.

As for working in the bakery, I agree with getting a note from your doctor. There would just be too much wheat dust in the air for my health.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#7 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:10 AM

I work in HR, so I highly recommend a doctor's note. In case there's any future problems, you'll want to be sure that Celiac Disease was documented to protect you.
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

#8 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:08 AM

Good luck working in the deli. Sounds like a good move. Let us know how it goes.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: