52 replies to this topic

#16 Salax

Salax

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:01 PM

I find it fascinating how people give a crap what you are eating or not eating. Your body, your mouth. You can decide what not to eat and what to put in it. End of discussion, no need for further explanation. Maybe it's just me, but who cares. Really, why are other people so concerned with what other people are eating? I think our society is obsessed with food. Nosey? Maybe. Silly...definitely. :angry:

*gets off soapbox*

:D

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Judy3

Judy3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:30 PM

OMG reading these posts made me laugh and cringe at the same time. I'm new to this so 'that gluten thing again' seems to be a topic of conversation with just about everyone I eat with. Last week eating dinner with a friend: "All your having is a salad?", my response "Yes, I like salad". But they have so many good things here at this 'SANDWICH' restaurant" I try to explain for the 100th time that I can't eat the bread to no avail so I outright asked the manager if they had gluten free bread for their lovely sandwiches and she said oh no we don't. End of conversation or so I thought. I get my salad and friend says to me 'you forgot your croutons, I'll get them for you"... heavy sigh and want to escape through the bathroom window!

Another friend via email that I love dearly and we laughed about this later when I called her on it.. I said I tried the gluten free frozen waffles and the texture of them was a little strange once I put the syrup on them they seemed to melt on my plate. Lovely friend replies "You should try the whole wheat one's in the health food section at the store they are really good"... I stop, I reread this again and then I ask her if she's gone mad.... she says why zo I explain to her again that wheat has gluten... she feels dumb and says omg I must have been tired when I wrote that, I know that.. Note to self never eat at her house in case she's tired when she's cooking... LOL (I told her that too)

Trying to keep my sense of humor in tact above all else as I venture into the gluten free world that to others seems to be a dark and evil place! :P It's not so dark and evil so far, it's a wee bit texture challenged but I'll get used to it (I hope)
*Judy

Food allergies to fish, seafood, tree nuts, aspartame(Equal),flax seed, and many drugs
Stomach issues since childhood
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) age 6-44
Diabetes age 44 to present now going back to Hypoglycemia since gluten free.
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2005 and it's gone now that I'm aspartame and gluten free. Hmmm
Celiac disease- negative test in 2009, positive tests in Nov. 2010
Gluten free started 11/08/2010
Genetic tests positive- DQ2, positive -DQ6 (?) negative- DQ8 11/15/2010

#18 jessicaj

jessicaj

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:01 PM

Since June of 2009 I have been having what I thought were allergic reactions to food. People in my extended family told me it was in my head, even my allergist said I wasn't allergic to red dye after an anaphylactic reaction landed me in the Emergency Room. Since I left him I found a Nurse Practioner who discovered that I was a celiac. I am also allergic to food dyes, potatoes, wheat, shellfish, walnuts, kale and intolerant of almost every grain including rice. My immediate family, husband and two daughters, are not going gluten free and I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I also have candida issues so I feel like garbage most of the time. Does anyone have any advice on how to manage life with food allergies and intolerances when you live with someone who does not take this seriously and is practically a gluten addict? I have my own pots and pans and some of my own food storage containers. My daughters know that they can't put anything into the containers that mom can't have but I still end up getting sick from cross contamination. I could easily be a food Nazi given my own kitchen but I don't know what to do short of moving out and I can't afford that.

#19 norahsmommy

norahsmommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:03 PM

your aunt and my grandma are very similar! My grandma brought candy for my kids. My youngest is gluten intolerant and she wanted to give her a kit kat bar. I said no because they have gluten in them. She said, "no its cookie" and I said, "yes but cookies are made of wheat flour and that has gluten in it" and she said, "Oh, how about a twix bar instead?'' I said "no, that has cookie too." Then she offered her a meatball, made with bread. I said no. It just went on and on from there =). She understands more now. But she still tries to give her stuff she can't have.

#20 beefree11

beefree11

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:17 AM

I have also had that sort of conversation....I remember my dad getting into it with me and saying something like "the label says MAY contain gluten, not that the product DOES contain gluten" and he was suggesting that I should give it a go! lol. I finally said, "Dad, I'll pass. I'm happy with my lettuce wraps right now"

In the end I appreciate that he just doesn't get it. I mean, there is some sort of huge block for him. He is a smart guy, but this 'gluten free thing' just doesn't jive with him for whatever reason. No big deal. I simply REFUSE to engage in any conversation with him on it. If I am at his house, I bring my own food, cutlery, dishware, microwavable container, etc and if he asks "would you like this or that...do you think it contains gluten" i don't even bother trying to educate him. I just say "no thanks, Dad. I'm good"

At the end of the day, he is not going to ever appreciate the nature of celiac disease and that is okay. I know he loves me and now that I've given up trying to educate him, there's no more of those idiotic stress-filled conversations. phew.

KDawg

Hello K-Dawg...I am new. I stumbled upon this site in a panic state with my gluten intolerant daughter having a severe reaction at 430 am this morning. Her father brushes off the diagnosis of her being gluten sensitive although she IS hashimoto's, hypothyroid (she is on cytomel and synthroid since 05) AND pcos and was being treated for parasites and hey she is still young!! lol (that was more of a sarcastic laugh).

I am wondering do you live with your father? Does he at least acknowledge there is a dietary issue causing you discomfort? My husband doesn't really care. In fact he just recently purchased three diff brands of gluteny cookies, muffins, bagels, breads, cereals, croutons, bread sticks, pretzels and crackers. I have since gathered them up in a BIG basket and stored them in his work room. Fine. He can have them....just not in the kitchen.

I find myself rising earlier than my daughter to clean kitchen counters, cabinets, handles, light switches, floors, etc for the kitchen is usually contaminated. I have gone gluten free along with her. It just makes sense. I don't know if her father is suffering from some other issue for this behavior of his borders on cruelty toward his own daughter.

My focus is her safety and her health right now - not his over consumption of gluten/wheat products which arent doing him any GOOD.

Is there contamination issues with you and your family? Thank you.
"Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them -- every day begin the task anew."

Saint Francis de Sales

#21 Brookesmom

Brookesmom

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

I am wondering do you live with your father? Does he at least acknowledge there is a dietary issue causing you discomfort? My husband doesn't really care. In fact he just recently purchased three diff brands of gluteny cookies, muffins, bagels, breads, cereals, croutons, bread sticks, pretzels and crackers. I have since gathered them up in a BIG basket and stored them in his work room. Fine. He can have them....just not in the kitchen.

I find myself rising earlier than my daughter to clean kitchen counters, cabinets, handles, light switches, floors, etc for the kitchen is usually contaminated. I have gone gluten free along with her. It just makes sense. I don't know if her father is suffering from some other issue for this behavior of his borders on cruelty toward his own daughter.

My focus is her safety and her health right now - not his over consumption of gluten/wheat products which arent doing him any GOOD.

Is there contamination issues with you and your family? Thank you.

Oh BeeFree, I just saw this. I had to go gluten free 100% a year ago after positive results, and my daughter a month ago after *her* positive results. At first my husband didn't take me seriously but he's getting better educated and keeping junk out of the kitchen now that it's my daughter too. However, for the past year, especially before my daughter's tests, he bought a multipack of whole wheat pasta! from Costco, giant boxes of Triscuits and most recently a giant box of wheat thins. Are there no gluten free snacks? The most annoying was Costco sized Shredded Wheat. Talk about crumbs. I got really pissed I must say and forbid him from making bread in the breadmaker with flour or cooking pasta in my pots. He has a dedicated wheat pan, but has decided it's mostly too much work and eats gluten free at home. He *has* to have his bags of supermarket bagels in the car for the ride to work though. I think he's kinda addicted to wheat because it's either wheat snacks or beer. Grr...

I think you need to take charge of your kitchen! Give them a pan or two and cook gluten free for them. Let them have a gluten snack in their backpack or work bag if they must. Forbid flour or crumbs at the table. They can eat it when they're at work/school if it's so darn important! Try showing them studies about antibodies not going down from cross contamination and how continued exposure increases risk of lymphomas and other cancers. Hang in there!
01/2010: positive AGA and anti-tTG results from Enterolab; one DQ2 gene
eliminated gluten and hoping to heal thyroid and adrenals now

#22 nmthommy

nmthommy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:38 AM

There is a great test that you can do from home. Never need to see a doctor!!! no I don't work there but I had all my tests done with them and tested positive for gluten sensitivity after testing negative with blood tests.
EnteroLab www.enterolab.com
they send everything you need to your home and then send you the results in 3 - 4 weeks. They can also do DNA testing for sensitivities.
I'm having my children tested too since it is inherited.

#23 nmthommy

nmthommy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:41 AM

That's funny.
I told my brother that I am alergic to gluten and he said that I should try eating organic.

OMG reading these posts made me laugh and cringe at the same time. I'm new to this so 'that gluten thing again' seems to be a topic of conversation with just about everyone I eat with. Last week eating dinner with a friend: "All your having is a salad?", my response "Yes, I like salad". But they have so many good things here at this 'SANDWICH' restaurant" I try to explain for the 100th time that I can't eat the bread to no avail so I outright asked the manager if they had gluten free bread for their lovely sandwiches and she said oh no we don't. End of conversation or so I thought. I get my salad and friend says to me 'you forgot your croutons, I'll get them for you"... heavy sigh and want to escape through the bathroom window!

Another friend via email that I love dearly and we laughed about this later when I called her on it.. I said I tried the gluten free frozen waffles and the texture of them was a little strange once I put the syrup on them they seemed to melt on my plate. Lovely friend replies "You should try the whole wheat one's in the health food section at the store they are really good"... I stop, I reread this again and then I ask her if she's gone mad.... she says why zo I explain to her again that wheat has gluten... she feels dumb and says omg I must have been tired when I wrote that, I know that.. Note to self never eat at her house in case she's tired when she's cooking... LOL (I told her that too)

Trying to keep my sense of humor in tact above all else as I venture into the gluten free world that to others seems to be a dark and evil place! :P It's not so dark and evil so far, it's a wee bit texture challenged but I'll get used to it (I hope)

#24 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:32 PM

That's funny.
I told my brother that I am alergic to gluten and he said that I should try eating organic.

It's surprising how often people think that's the answer, isn't it? My favorite was an acquaintance who thought all my troubles with gluten would be solved if I went on a macrobiotic diet...the one where grains are the main source of nutrition. Then proceeded to give me all these whole wheat and barley recipes. :rolleyes:

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#25 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:44 PM

It's surprising how often people think that's the answer, isn't it? My favorite was an acquaintance who thought all my troubles with gluten would be solved if I went on a macrobiotic diet...the one where grains are the main source of nutrition. Then proceeded to give me all these whole wheat and barley recipes. :rolleyes:

OY!!!!!!!!! My friend thinks I can solve a wheat allergy if I fix what she thinks is a leaky gut........I'm sorry, but a leaky gut DOES not cause a major histamine response. She thinks if I follow this fix and take pro-biotics, I will be fixed, and able to eat wheat again...I can't convince her otherwise. It's so frusterating...
You've cat to be kitten me right meow

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
Gluten Intolerant-April 2010
Dairy/casien intolerant-Aug 2012
Lactose intolerant- Aug 2012
Soy Intolerant-November 2012
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

#26 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:51 AM

I think a percentage of the general public has no clue where their food comes from. For example, a waitress in a restaurant when told my husband cannot have wheat asked if he wanted regular white bread with dinner. I think explained that bread (like Wonder or Arnold) has wheat in it. She seemed surprised to hear this info. Perhaps basic "foods" education in school is needed - learn about all grains, meats, fish, vegetables, etc.
I think perhaps food servers and kitchen prep people should have to take a 1 day course at the local town/county/state Board of Health to learn about foods and allergens including types of diets: low fat, celiac, diabetic, vegan, etc. Think about it: the person who does your hair at a salon has to be licensed, why doesn't the person who cooks/serves/prepares your food get at least a 1-day seminar with Certificate of Learning?
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#27 etta694

etta694

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:06 AM

Are there no gluten free snacks?

Costco has an awesome cracker called Crunchmaster that is VERY tasty!! but, generally,.. there is a shortage of snacks IMHO.

I think perhaps food servers and kitchen prep people should have to take a 1 day course at the local town/county/state Board of Health to learn about foods and allergens including types of diets: low fat, celiac, diabetic, vegan, etc. Think about it: the person who does your hair at a salon has to be licensed, why doesn't the person who cooks/serves/prepares your food get at least a 1-day seminar with Certificate of Learning?

Hear hear!! I totally agree..

I am amazed, reading back over this, how many friends and family go into denial about whether wheat can cause issues, and the extent to which people go to 'ignore' (I will not call it abuse) others and make 'in your face' choices.
Whenever I hear about this (or experience it) I am reminded of Yosemite Sam and the mule... maybe we just need to get their attention first.. ;)
I think I once heard.. you have to hear the truth 10 times before you will except it. (I'm guessing that's an old adage and an average.)
Anemia and IBS through my life
2005 Joint pain, exhaustion, general feeling of not being well 2006 Beginning of testing for everything but Celiac 2008 Bloating, more muscle stiffness, feeling sicker, more exhausted-testing 'normal' 2010 March insides begin to shut down, cough that won't go away 2010 June Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, biopsy - all show no problems
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant - went gluten free. Within 3 days feeling better.
After 5 days - insides began to move
Now - feel better than I have felt for 15 years (except when I gluten myself.. which I'm good at)

#28 Racer_J

Racer_J

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:24 PM

Most of the posts here are from last year especially the one I wanted to address the most which was the OP.

Thankfully, I don't have an issue with family or friends when it comes to gluten except for one "family" member. That single individual doesn't believe in it, thinks it's nonsense, thinks the sensitivities/intolerances/allergies I have developed over the past 2 months since being gluten free for 6 months is because I need gluten in my diet, etc. add nausea. That's fine though as we have never & never will get along and, he is only family via a marriage and everyone including his wife (you love who you love) knows he is ignorant. On the bright side, I've never had an issue with friends regardless of what I have chosen or had to avoid at some point.

That being said, I have had several issues with my family in the past on various different things I wasn't eating and why. I am a fairly blunt person so my family should have known what to expect when they used to choose to hound me over a topic. I finally told them all at either a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner somewhere way back around 1998 that I was "no longer interested in anything anyone had to say about my health and body and what I choose to do with it". I told them all "you are all free to continue ruining your health and lives but, stop passing judgment on me for improving mine as I respect each of you enough to not pass judgment on you for what you eat".

Keep in mind, that this was brought on over the simple fact of eating a healthy diet (several small meals a day) low in fat, lifting weights, and not eating anything with any added sweeteners of any kind. It was a major issue at every family event for close to a year or two at that point and, there was really no reason for it to be as I wasn't requesting anything special be made. It was simply an issue of leave me alone and let me eat the food I have brought in peace. At the time though, I was really "ahead of my time" because people in general weren't avoiding the actual horrible for you fats, sweeteners, artificial chemicals/additives/preservatives/etc., and so on.

Anyway, over the years there have been several battles so they are worn down and "broken" to the point of not asking me a hundred times (hyperbole but you get the point) during a day we have gathered together if "that's all you're going to eat", "do you want desert", "how about this desert", what about this desert", "are you sure you're full" etc.

You really just have to be firm and stern with people that give you grief over something important to you. This is especially true when it's a health issue. If they are acting like children, you might just have to treat them as such, act like a parent, and tell them this is how it is and that's the end of the discussion. Now, we have all been kids and we all know that way of handling a situation can backfire but, sometimes it just has to be done and the fallout from it is what it is. As uncomfortable and as hard as it can be, sometimes you just have to say it like it is and get it all off your chest. Most people will back off at that point because, they know there is no way in the world they can even begin to muster up a counter argument.

Now for those of you shocked at why 99% of my family has no problems with gluten after reading my story above, it's because it is currently destroying my father and probably has been for decades. As you all know though, this often goes undiagnosed for far to long. My family has actually had to learn about it since he won't go anywhere where there is a risk of CC because, it will most likely land him in the hospital at this point in time. I did however get questioned at Easter about why my food choices are so limited and is it really healthy to get 700 out of 1000 calories from bananas a day. My explanation was brief and something to the effect of "I have had issues with several other foods come up, bananas are really the only calorie dense food I can handle, they are simple sugar so it's used almost right away, without them I would have almost no calories in my diet, and I am meeting and surpassing all my nutritional needs with an Omega 6 : Omega 3 ratio of 2.5:1 day in and day out". It was no longer an issue at that point as there is no way anyone else in the room could tell me what there average daily calorie intake was much less if they were meeting a specific amino acid recommendation each day. Being analytical may have it's disadvantages but, in situations like this it is an argument winner almost every time. There is just no way to counter that level of information without a ton of research and, there is no way to do said research "on the spot". Information like that is like a snake jumping up out of nowhere and striking lol.

To be fair, the question was posed out of actual concern and interest which why I responded in a calm and extremely detailed manor in case anyone thinks me response synopsis sounded curt. I also eat more than bananas but, they are by far the bulk of my calories and 25% of my food budget. For the sake of disclosure, I eat hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, bananas, carrots, basil, salmon, and oysters on a daily basis. The only actual issues with my diet are it is lacking in chloride/sodium (which can be fixed with a 1/4 tsp of sea salt), and iodine & B1 (Thiamin) are half of what they should be. Both the iodine and B1 (Thiamin) exceed the AI (Acceptable Intake) though and, the iodine can be easily fixed with kelp. The B1 (Thiamin) will be tricker since I have to avoid all grains and, what I can eat is generally pretty low in it when you are trying to stay between an Omega 6 : Omega 3 ratio of 1:1 to 2.5:1 (4:1 maximum). I may have to look into a supplement that only contains B1 (Thiamin) which will be a nightmare since I will not take a synthetic vitamin nor one that is free of binders, allergens, yeast, silica, and all the other unnecessary items that get added to supplements. Honestly, another 7.55 g (grams) of sunflower seeds (raw) would cover the B1 (Thiamin) but, I don't want the 1.74 g (grams) of Omega 6 that come with it nor the additional 47.31 calories that which will raise the amounts of nutrients I need for the day.

BTW, I fully understand how nitpicky that sounds but, I am super analytical and it was fairly difficult to get everything properly balanced with such a short can eat list and a strict food budget of $100 a month for just me. I am also aware that 1000 calories a day is pretty low but my MBR is only 1500 calories and I do have body fat to spare right now so, this is really no different than a cutting cycle in bodybuilding. The calories would be higher in that actual scenario but, I am not weight training or doing any cardio right now anyway as I am on a "layoff" period. I do not intend to stay at this calorie level until the end of time and I will probably bump it back up to around 2000 in a few months.

If anyone would like further details on my diet, I will be happy to provide them. I just don't want to get much further off topic since this thread isn't about what I specifically eat. I only brought it up since the discussion was about how to deal with family and friends that don't understand why you eat like you do and, several of you will probably have a similar response to my specific diet lol.

Speaking of which, back to main topic. You really have to treat it like a debate and, I mean an actual debate and not what passes for a debate these days. Keep it factual, detailed, educated, scientific, etc. Leave out the hype, fear mongering, mudslinging, judging, etc. You absolutely have to be more prepared than the people you will encounter. Now, that can & will be exhausting and frustrating especially when people want to keep arguing when they have no actual counterpoint at all but, you always have to be prepared and "on your game". It's the only way you will ever stand a chance and, people other than yourself will quickly see who is a naysayer for the sake of nay-saying. Just stick to actual facts that can be backed up with hard conclusive data and things should settle down some and, always express them in an easy to digest (no pun intended) manor.

Hopefully this post will help someone out at some point :P
Gluten free since 08/??/2010 due to father being diagnosed Celiac

"Diagnosed" since 05/19/2011 via EnteroLab's $99.00 panel

Gluten Sensitivity Stool Test
Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 11 Units (Normal Range is less than 10 Units)

#29 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:16 AM

I guess I just have finally reached the point where I feel I do not have to justify anything, to anyone. As long as I don't inconvenience anyone it is none of their business what I do or do not eat. I would not presume to tell anyone what they should eat, even the people who obviously have problems with gluten. I may drop a little clue here and there, if they express any interest I will elaborate, but what they eat is their business and what I eat is mine.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#30 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:57 AM

I totally understand this. My brother and his family came up and we took our mom out to eat for Easter and to celebrate her 70th birthday. My brother has really bad health issues as well as his wife. both my mother and sil has just recently gotten out of the hospital due to pnumonia. Sil has high blood pressure, migraines, she's had 5 hiatel hernia surgeries in the past 6 years, numerous other health issues, my mother has almost constant diareah plus had her thyroid removed over 30 years ago. I have explained to these people about the gluten but they just shrug me off and go on about their business, but yeaterday I could not keep my mouth shut. I have 2 nieces, 1 is 15 the other is 16. The 15 year old undoubtedly has food issues because I keep track of her on facebook and she is all time talking about not feeling well, having headaches, tummy upsets, etc. Yesterday, she had maybe finished eating for about 10 minutes and I seen her face turn white. She headed immidiately for the bathroom. When she came back I got her off to the side and talked to her. She had gotten sick and vomited. She says that that is not all that unusual. I explained to her about the gluten and she's looking into it. Come to find out my brother and his wife didn't think she needed to know about it. Really pissed me off. I'm hoping that maybe she can start to feel better.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: