This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

What Is Your Response When People Say.....

sahm-i-am

Gemini Experienced

I think you are pretty new to this still. I remind myself all the time that it could be worse.

I'm with you......when I think of all the diseases there are, I would still choose celiac disease over any of them. I actually get very annoyed when people say they are sorry if I end up having to mention I have Celiac. I always reply that they don't need to apologize to me as things could always be a lot worse. I could have a disease I have no control over. I have felt this way from day one because I am forever grateful that I found the problem and can eat and feel great again!

I think many get to this point after awhile when their focus changes...that can take time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Them: It could be worse

Me: I know, I could have your thighs!

:lol::lol::lol:

mushroom Proficient

"I could have your thighs!"

Can't use this one, I do have her thighs :lol:

heatherjane Contributor

People are going to say ignorant things...that's the way of the world. For the most part, I've found that people who've made ignorant comments to me are well-meaning and really aren't trying to be rude. It just gives me an opportunity to educate them. In many ways, the celiac diagnosis has been a blessing to me (even though sometimes I curse it)...things really could be much worse. The trick is remembering that on the not so good days.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

People are going to say ignorant things...that's the way of the world. For the most part, I've found that people who've made ignorant comments to me are well-meaning and really aren't trying to be rude. It just gives me an opportunity to educate them. In many ways, the celiac diagnosis has been a blessing to me (even though sometimes I curse it)...things really could be much worse. The trick is remembering that on the not so good days.

So true. Thanks for the reminder.

sb2178 Enthusiast

Yes, I tend to reply along the lines of "yes, I was very glad to find out it wasn't Crohn's disease. I have a friend who can't eat raw fruits and vegetables, beans, or whole grains... and she still ends up in the hospital regularly! So much easier to just avoid gluten. It could be worse. This just requires paranoia about everything I eat if I haven't made it."

Lostfalls Newbie

it could be worse? it WAS worse! imagine taking all your meals and chucking them down the toilet...

lol after schooling my husband on cc issues and me bringing all my own food to his family reunion, he is showing me the box the burgers came in '100 pct beef' I said: and you're gonna cook it on what? and just blinked and walked away. later I saw him sneak down by his dads grill and check out the grates.... lots of *flavor* aughhhhhhhh!

Love it. Thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lostfalls Newbie

I need some witty, snide, smart or funny remarks to say to people when they say, "It could be worse" when I tell them I have Celiac Disease. Yes, of course it could. A few months ago we all thought I had cancer. Of course I am happy that was a misdiagnosis, but I would love for people to go gluten-free for 1 month and tell me how grateful and happy they feel!!! Especially since I was asymptomatic before and now I have ALL these GI issues. And I'm still mourning my Krispie Kreme donuts!!!!!

So, how about it - what should I say?

This line is great - I live in Redneck country and a "gluten-free" lifestyle is not looked kindly on at all. I have had a heck of a time getting my freinds and husband to understand. Even telling them point blank has made no difference, they think I am over dramatic and more than slightly on the yuppie side. Sarcasm will get through though - sometime flipping it back at them and speaking their language is what is needed. I think it depends on the where you are and the people you have to (or choose to) deal with. Hurts when that comes from a friend who watched you being sick before...

Archived