#1 Aidan's_Mom

Aidan's_Mom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 10:00 AM

Hi there,
My son has just had a biospy and we are presently waiting for the results. Since going on a gluten-free diet (and dairy/soy-free), we have seen a dramatic improvement in his eating and mood.

It has been two weeks and my son is now eating, the rashes have disappeared and he is sleeping less and is less cranky. After almost a year of no weight gain, he has put on almost 1/2 pound in the last 5 days.

How quickly did you see an improvement in your babes after going gluten-free? How long did it take for them to catch-up to their peers in weight/height?
Thanks for your responses.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 hillary_henry@yahoo.com

hillary_henry@yahoo.com

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 10:21 AM

Hi
My daughter is 5 years old and has been of the gluten-free diet for about a month since then she has had no weight gain, been real moody and doesn't want to eat a thing the improvement in your son is great what foods does he eat? Ronni is so picky. (she weighs 35 lbs)

Hillary

#3 Aidan's_Mom

Aidan's_Mom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 10:37 AM

Well, at this time we haven't diagnosed him with celiac - it could be a milk/soy protein allergy, so I don't know if his improvements are "normal" for celiacs.

He eats a gluten-free chocolate pudding I found online at http://www.fastq.com...ts/pudding.html - which we add almond milk for calories and calcium. He also likes turkey weiners, gluten-free cake, bananas, pork & beans (the deep-browned not the original), brown rice macaroni with ketchup, soft-boiled eggs and pork roast.

Good luck with your daughter, I hope she starts eating soon.

#4 kejohe

kejohe

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 12:18 PM

Hi, I began seeing improvement in my sons health almost immediately, and he was nearly normal in about 6 weeks. He was 1 yr at the time of diagnosis and had been sick for about 3 - 4 months. He was fine for about the first 8 months of his life, then he contracted a severe infection that caused his celiac disease gene to "activate" itself. Because we were so used to him being in peak health, it was easy for us to know there was something very worng, and his dx came pretty quickly compared to most.

My son ate like a horse before his dx and since then has cut back dramatically, some days I can't get him to take anything but milk, thankfully he's not lactose intolerant too. He eats a lot os tofu, chicken , pork, and seafood, green leafy veggies like spinach, also corn and fruits. He is a fan of my gluten-free breads, but I don't get to make then too often anymore, so he eats a good amount of steamed rice too. For lunches it's yogurt or cheese, fruit, and gluten-free snacks like pretzles and crackers.

Hope this helps a little.
Kathleen
Son has been gluten-free since December 2001

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: