This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Sigh From France

kirstio

kirstio Newbie

My name is Kirsti and I live in France, (nationality: Norwegian). I didn't know much about Celiac disease before I came here, but I'm steadily learning. That is to say - I don't know that I actually have it yet.

I've had stomach problems all my life, I've made numerous visits to doctor's offices, homeopaths, osteopaths, they told me to eat a lot of fiber and relax. I told them time and time again, look, when I eat it's like I'm being poisoned. Diarrhea, constipation, foul smelling gas, stomach cramps, bloating, I look like I've swallowed a basket ball. In addition muscle pains and headaches that seem to be somewhat connected to the menstrual cycle. I thought I had the Candida syndrome and went yeast/sugar free for 15 years. Of course the GPs smiled overbearingly at that. I also have a history of depression, chronic cystitis and eating disorders.

I've had breast cancer and needed additional surgery in January this year. After the hospital stay my stomach went berserk. Severe abdominal pain, especially during the night, excessive gas and bloating after meals, diarrhea or constipation. My french doctor gave me ulcer medication. Well, the meds didn't do much good and after a week with no sleep I turned desperate. Suddenly I thought of celiac disease.

I should probably have gone back to my GP, but I didn't. I have had enough of arrogant, laidback, indifferent, selfrighteous GPs; how many times have I walked out of a doctor's office with that hopeless, sinking feeling.

I thought I'd try a gluten free diet, which is NOT easy here in France. Now I live on meat, potatoes, vegetable soup and rice, most of the foods I love are off limits. It's only been a week and I don't notice a big difference. The severe abdominal pain is gone though, but the problems after meals still persist. And the fatigue is completely disabling, after doing a little bit of housework I'm exhausted.

Does anyone have some good advice for me? I feel somewhat lost and alone, especially since I'm in a country where the language is still a big challenge.

I would really like your opinion.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bonnie Explorer

Hi Kirsti,

Your symptoms are exactly the same as mine! I live in South Africa so although language is not a problem - gluten is a word no-one here has ever heard of.

I have been gluten-free for 7 weeks now and am very slowly starting to feel a bit better. The bloating has calmed down a bit but not completely. I have good days and really bad days.

You are still at a very early stage of your gluten-free diet. Some people improve almost immediately but it can take 6 months for others to notice a marked improvement.

Your symptoms definitely indicate that you have a problem with gluten.

Also many people are self-diagnosed due to doctors' ignorance. I would stick to the diet if I was you, give it more time and if you start feeling better - that is your answer.

I have a problem with rice and potatoes - they bloat me terribly. So maybe you do too. Maybe try some different vegetables and fruit. Also sweet potatoes seem to be ok for me but not white potatoes. I mostly eat chicken, meat, fish, vegetables and salads.

If you are not taking them already, you should get a good multivitamin and definitely some probiotics.

I think you are on the right track. I really hope you start feeling better.

Yvonne

luvs2eat Collaborator

My heart goes out to you... as you have access to the best, most delicious bread on the planet... and you can't eat it!

I'm certain that my sister, who also lives in France, probably has wheat issues (more of the skin rash forms) but she's not willing to give up her french bread when she can take medicines for her skin conditions!

Give it more time. You will feel a difference. I've said before... it took a whole year for my bowels to return to normal. It was way less before that terrible bloating and gas subsided.

Good luck!!

skbird Contributor

I think I've heard that some people have found some of the best gluten free foods/breads in France. It was a while ago someone posted that... Also Italy is supposed to be pretty good.

France is actually the place I was that set me off the most as I decided to indulge in all sorts of breads, croissants, etc, for the first time in a couple of years - by the time I got back to California I was pretty sick and had diarrhea for two weeks straight. Still hadn't figured out the gluten thing then...

At least there, though, I believe doctors are more in the know about Celiac and gluten intolerance.

Take care and best of health...

Stephanie

Archived