22 replies to this topic

#1 glutengal

glutengal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:09 AM

I was just wondering about the possible connection between vertigo and the consumption of gluten. I was gluten free for a year and was not diagnosed as celiac but because my daughter is gluten intolerant decided to go gluten free along with her. Well, the short of it is, I went back on gluten about 2 months or so ago and in the last month have had vertigo. Mainly hits in the morning when getting out of bed or turning in a particular position (room spins). Throughout the rest of the day I mainly have this weird sensation in my head just enough to be noticeable kind of a floaty or lightheaded feeling. Just wondering if this could be related to gluten as I never had vertigo before being gluten free for a year.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:47 PM

It might be related, but it might not.

I got bad vertigo a couple years ago. Just out of nowhere (typically how it comes on) I turned over in bed to get a glass of water and the whole world tipped around and started spinning. Whoa, I thought. Thinking it was over, I got up to go to the bathroom and as soon as I started to lower myself down (I'm a lady, after all) I lost my balance and had to put my hand out on the wall to make it the toilet w/o falling over. Getting up was the same way. This went on, getting fewer and fewer attacks, for a couple days. Then I felt weird for a long time. Then I got the vertigo again, etc.

I do believe I have BPPV (Benign Paroximal P..... Vertigo) which is an inner ear thing. It could be a coincidence with you that it started up with gluten again....but it might not be, as vertigo can come on from more things than BPPV. You should go gluten-free again and see if it goes away. It took me WEEKS if not over a month to get rid of the weird feeling you're talking about in your head. Every time I walked through library aisles or whatever it was worse (aisles of tall narrow places) and walking through doors or tunnels. Then you also get the fear of another vertigo attack. My stomach did not get upset; some folks do get that; but nonetheless, I lived in fear for a while. I ended up getting the whole thing again a few months later, and the recovery was very similar. Now it's been almost a year. I hope I don't get it again, but who can say. I only just started allowing myself to lay on one side in bed (usually one side is stronger for bringing on the vertigo than the other). Yuck. Vertigo. Just wrong wrong wrong. And it's so hard to explain to anyone how disconcerting it is.

Take care and good luck.

#3 glutengal

glutengal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

It might be related, but it might not.

I got bad vertigo a couple years ago. Just out of nowhere (typically how it comes on) I turned over in bed to get a glass of water and the whole world tipped around and started spinning. Whoa, I thought. Thinking it was over, I got up to go to the bathroom and as soon as I started to lower myself down (I'm a lady, after all) I lost my balance and had to put my hand out on the wall to make it the toilet w/o falling over. Getting up was the same way. This went on, getting fewer and fewer attacks, for a couple days. Then I felt weird for a long time. Then I got the vertigo again, etc.

I do believe I have BPPV (Benign Paroximal P..... Vertigo) which is an inner ear thing. It could be a coincidence with you that it started up with gluten again....but it might not be, as vertigo can come on from more things than BPPV. You should go gluten-free again and see if it goes away. It took me WEEKS if not over a month to get rid of the weird feeling you're talking about in your head. Every time I walked through library aisles or whatever it was worse (aisles of tall narrow places) and walking through doors or tunnels. Then you also get the fear of another vertigo attack. My stomach did not get upset; some folks do get that; but nonetheless, I lived in fear for a while. I ended up getting the whole thing again a few months later, and the recovery was very similar. Now it's been almost a year. I hope I don't get it again, but who can say. I only just started allowing myself to lay on one side in bed (usually one side is stronger for bringing on the vertigo than the other). Yuck. Vertigo. Just wrong wrong wrong. And it's so hard to explain to anyone how disconcerting it is.

Take care and good luck.

Thank you for your reply and I may try going gluten free again to see what happens. In the mean time I have an appt. with ENT in Sept. and will see what they have to say.

#4 undiagnosedillness

undiagnosedillness

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:45 PM

I've also developed Vertigo the past two years I wonder if gluten is the answer ?? I'll keep you posted and see in maybe 6 months time if it's made any difference.

Good luck at the Doctors :)
Sammy
Undiagnosed 6 years now, please god make me healthy again.

#5 SGWhiskers

SGWhiskers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:53 AM

Look into Gluten Ataxia. I'm not 100%sure, but I believe vertigo is one of the symptoms of gluten ataxia. I know clumsiness is.

Vertigo is one of my "just got glutened" symptoms, but not as bad as before diagnosis.

#6 glutengal

glutengal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:15 PM

Look into Gluten Ataxia. I'm not 100%sure, but I believe vertigo is one of the symptoms of gluten ataxia. I know clumsiness is.

Vertigo is one of my "just got glutened" symptoms, but not as bad as before diagnosis.

Thank you very much for the information and I will definitely look into it. What exactly is it?

#7 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,769 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:54 AM

Thank you very much for the information and I will definitely look into it. What exactly is it?

With gluten ataxia the antibodies are attacking the brain. It leads to problems with balance. It can make walking difficult and make it hard to know where your body is in the space around you. Kind of hard to explain. I used to have vertigo upon rising from bed or standing up but I think some of that was due to the very low blood pressure that I had pregluten free. I still have issues with ataxia when I get glutened. Sometimes the room will spin and it feels like I am falling but my body isn't. It is one of the first signs I have that I have gotten gluten. If your recent readdition of gluten to your diet is causing this stopping the gluten should resolve it. If it is the positional vertigo your ENT can do specific manuvers with your head that should relieve it.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#8 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:37 PM

I had unexplained vertigo for a while, and it went away when I started the Atkins diet (which in the first phases is gluten free). I did a gluten challenge for 8 weeks last fall, and within less than a week, the vertigo was back. After my diagnosis and going back to gluten free, the vertigo is gone again.

#9 glutengal

glutengal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:07 PM

I had unexplained vertigo for a while, and it went away when I started the Atkins diet (which in the first phases is gluten free). I did a gluten challenge for 8 weeks last fall, and within less than a week, the vertigo was back. After my diagnosis and going back to gluten free, the vertigo is gone again.

Ravenwood and Reba thanks so much for your replies. It is much appreciated and I will try gluten free again to see what happens.

#10 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:05 PM

Just a quick additional note. I have not had vertigo proper for a while now, but I do still get a sort of strange feeling like my vision is not quite right, I'm not totally balanced, slightly lightheaded etc. Last month I remember telling myself, hey, it's right around your period and you feel this again - watch for it next month. Sure enough, period came and feel slightly dizzy and strange. So that is something to consider as well. I don't think I'm getting glutened - had myself tested some time ago for antibodies and it looked like I was clean.

Anyway, just another sidenote. I'm going to look into the ataxia thing too, though. I definitely feel I have something neuro going on, but don't have the insurance to have it checked out. Taking iron helped it, and B12 helped it, but nothing seems to quite cure it.

Good luck.

#11 gf_soph

gf_soph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:13 AM

You've had some good suggestions already, and it sure sounds like it could be a direct gluten rection. However, I thought I'd mention that it could be useful to have your B12 and iron levels checked as what you are describing sounds a lot like how I feel when I am B12 deficient - things spinning, worse when moving about, general weird feeling. I used to decribe it like a mild out of body experience, like I was perceiving things from about 5 cm above my own body. The iron also leads to the general off feeling for me, and my eyesight can grey out when getting up from a chair or bed.

If you get the B12 checked, make sure you get your exact level and reference range, as the usual lab ranges are often too low. If you get iron checked, make sure they test your ferratin as well, which is your stored iron.

Hope you feel better soon :)

#12 glutengal

glutengal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:25 AM

Thanks so much for all your responses, they are greatly appreciated.

Bully4You- My period has not been regular for about 3 years now. I go maybe 2-4 months without one and then it
comes. I have mentioned it to my GP and she just says I am at the age of possible perimenopause and brushes it off. I guess it is possible there could be some connection but don't really think so. I had a period about 2 months ago and none this month. Don't seem to notice the vertigo is at all associated with this. Never had problems with cramps, pms or heavy periods, they are always a fairly medium flow.

gf_soph- The B-12 is something I will mention to my GP as my father has taken B-12 injection for several years now.

P.S.- I also have hypothyroid and was just diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency a couple months ago.

#13 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:44 AM

If you have Celiac disease, you likely have more than just vit D deficiency! With the malabsorption that comes along with Celiac, you are likely dificient in pretty much everything. I had all mine tested right after my Celiac dx and *everything* was really low.

I also find that when I get low on sodium I get dizzy. A home-made "sport" drink usually does the trick. 1 litre of water, 3 tablespoons lemon juice (or squeeze half a lemon) and 1/4 tsp of sea salt.

#14 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,769 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:18 AM

The B-12 is something I will mention to my GP as my father has taken B-12 injection for several years now.

I would suggest that you urge your father to get tested for celiac.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#15 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:27 AM

On B12 - a sublingual is just as effective as injections, at least the one I was taking. I as borderline deficient two years ago; then a year ago, after pounding some B12 for about 2 or 3 months, I was WAY OVER...and this was from taking sublinguals. They were called PERQUE I think, but anyway, I was glad to know they were working!

(I am working on anemia right now, and don't know if that was a contributing factor to the weird feelings I was getting - but I am getting much better on the anemia since I quit drinking tea w/i two hours of drinking, and starting eating red meat - veggie for 20 years!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: