22 replies to this topic

#16 glutengal

glutengal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:35 PM

I would suggest that you urge your father to get tested for celiac.

I have suggested it but think it is on deaf ears as he was also diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma mantel cell about 3 years ago (in remission right now)but they say it is most likely to recurr with this type. I mentioned to he and my mother to be tested for celiac because of the relation between non-hodgkins and also B-12 and he also just recently (as well as my mother recently)was found to be vitamin D deficient. He is a very stubborn person and it is very difficult to get him to listen to anyone. Just last week he had sudden terrible stomach pains and was very constipated and tried to relieve the constipation with a vegetable laxative and an enema and the next morning was still in horrible pain. He went to his GP and the GP sent him straight to the emergency room because he thought my father had a possible bowel obstruction. At the emergency room they thought the same thing and sent him immediately for a CT scan. They were totally shocked to find out he actually had an acute ruptured appendictis and if he had not gotten to the hospital when he did they said he probably would have died very soon. Soooo scary. I had mine out at 18 and they said mine was close to rupturing.
I hope he will reconsider the test for celiac but I don't really think he will.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:36 PM

i had vertigo a few years back. it was so bad i went to the emergency room. (panic attack) couldn't drive for like a month. ENT said it was partly allergies and partly because of my inner ear.. i did head exercises and got on allergy meds. i still have balance issues and wow if that would clear up being gluten-free maybe i could dance again. not like i was a great dancer but it was fun. as of now, i am too afraid of falling :(

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#18 glutengal

glutengal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:41 PM

i had vertigo a few years back. it was so bad i went to the emergency room. (panic attack) couldn't drive for like a month. ENT said it was partly allergies and partly because of my inner ear.. i did head exercises and got on allergy meds. i still have balance issues and wow if that would clear up being gluten-free maybe i could dance again. not like i was a great dancer but it was fun. as of now, i am too afraid of falling :(

I understand the feeling of being scared of falling. I was scared to drive also and it has taken a while to get the courage up to try it. So far so good.....

#19 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:58 PM

I understand the feeling of being scared of falling. I was scared to drive also and it has taken a while to get the courage up to try it. So far so good.....

well, let's see if it will go away!! my sense of smell is coming back (i can never smell anything - a blessing sometimes, i suppose! lol!) and i am hoping as i heal my allergies will also go :) so many things i believe are related to pesky poison gluten that i have developed over the years. so gradually and seemingly unrelated it's soooo sneaky...

then, we'll go dancing!!

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#20 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:40 AM

If you are gluten intolerant or celiac, and go off of it for a long time, when you re introduce it, you may notice that you have become more sensitive to some of the side effects.

With your daughter being gluten intolerant, that means she had to have inherited the genes predisposing her to it from at least one parent.... that and your low thyroid and low vitamin D, and this new symptom, sounds like you may be be wanting get tested for the celiac blood antibodies while you're still on it, and/or the genetic test if you want a diagnosis.... it seems we people with the gluten intolerance symptoms who aren't classic at wasting away just can't get no respect ..... I went for about a decade with the ataxia and other neurological symptoms, until I had my brain scanned, and the neuro Dr. STILL could not and would not connect the brain lesions with being gluten intolerant because she was insisting at that point I was a head case - because she had deliberately misdiagnosed something else, too- well yeah, actually I did have a head interior that was messed up, but with an actual physical cause that they missed, along with an ongoing and permanent c spine blown disc problem that's related, because of bone loss and bone spurs and some stenosis.

#21 glutengal

glutengal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:31 PM

If you are gluten intolerant or celiac, and go off of it for a long time, when you re introduce it, you may notice that you have become more sensitive to some of the side effects.

With your daughter being gluten intolerant, that means she had to have inherited the genes predisposing her to it from at least one parent.... that and your low thyroid and low vitamin D, and this new symptom, sounds like you may be be wanting get tested for the celiac blood antibodies while you're still on it, and/or the genetic test if you want a diagnosis.... it seems we people with the gluten intolerance symptoms who aren't classic at wasting away just can't get no respect ..... I went for about a decade with the ataxia and other neurological symptoms, until I had my brain scanned, and the neuro Dr. STILL could not and would not connect the brain lesions with being gluten intolerant because she was insisting at that point I was a head case - because she had deliberately misdiagnosed something else, too- well yeah, actually I did have a head interior that was messed up, but with an actual physical cause that they missed, along with an ongoing and permanent c spine blown disc problem that's related, because of bone loss and bone spurs and some stenosis.

Thank you for your input and yes I am looking in to being tested for celiac but being that I went back to eating gluten I am trying to wait at least 3 mths. to hopefully get accurate results with a gluten challenge. Not to bad at this point. I hope I can deal with it for long enough. If not I will go back off gluten without a definitive diagnosis. I am also trying to get my dad to be tested as his medical history suggest the possibility he is celiac also. My daughter also just got diagnosed a month ago with Eosinophilic Esophagitis and the doctor wants her to eliminate the 8 major food allergens. Whoo Hoo!!! What a treat. Is there anything else? Let's hope not. She has already been through so much in her 26 years, starting with a brain tumor at 6 years old. Then lost her hearing and now has a cochlear implant.
Thanks all for letting me vent. This forum is great and everyone is so helpful and informative.
Best of health to you all.

#22 Molly Stone

Molly Stone

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

I hope that I'm doing this correctly. I have just had the blood test for gulten and it was positive. I am now going to have the bio done just to confirm. I am 60f and I have never had any symptoms that I know that were Celiac. 16 years ago I had a bad fall and had Vertigo which lasted for 5 months. Mid Dec. I started having Vertigo again. My ENT said it was my sinius's and Middle Ear. My Mother had Celiac, and I have been on a Gulten free diet on and off all mt life.Except when I lived in Europe from 1976 till 1990 where I ate tons on wheat. This winter I have been eating allot of Oatmeal, but very little wheat. So I guess I need to wait and see what the bio says. It could be that I since I have been on a Gulten free diet that my symptoms never developed. All I know is that Vertigo is a drag, if it will clear up by not eating Gluten then that would be wonderful. Can Celiac develop or show up when your in your 60's? I also had a bad fall in August 2011 and fractured my T 12. So my body has been going through allot. Could my Celiac be trauma related?

#23 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

Yes, it can show up at any time.
Yours may have been in say "remission" during the times you were gluten free.
There are some Celiacs who have silent symptoms yet they are Celiac all their life.
There is also research to show that there is often a "triggering event" like a stressful or traumatic situation.
Celiac is genetic, but it takes a triggering event for some people to develop the disease.

Either way, you may be feeling better soon as you go gluten free.
There are some people who have had vertigo resolve when going gluten free.
Neurological symptoms are very common. Read about gluten ataxia and consider whether it may have been the cause of your fall and vertigo.

Welcome to being one of us.
It's quite a ride your first year. But you do get to watch yourself age backwards as you re-claim your health.
Eat mostly whole foods and learn about trace gluten and cross contamination.

Ask away, everyone here is very helpful.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: