This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Camping Gluten-Free

grechn

grechn Newbie

Hi All,

I'm new here. My 10 year old daughter was diagnosed through biopsy for celiac disease in June. The whole house (myself, my Dh, and our son too) has gone gluten -free.

I am struggling with food ideas for camping. I have a two burner camp stove. Any ideas would be helpful. We always do ribs the 1st night because we don't have to set up the stove for that, just throw them on the fire, but we usually have macaroni sald, i guess i could substitute a gluten-free pasta. but I'm stuck for mainly for lunch ideas.

Any ideas would be helpful .

thanks,

Gretchen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mizzo Enthusiast

Are you real camping or do you have access to fridge or electricity?

kareng Grand Master

I posted these before for a Boy Scout so maybe you saw them. Just put the frozen veggies in the cooler & they do fine. You can even freeze the meat if it will be a day or 2 til you cook. The adults are still talking about howgood the chicken ones were as they always do the hamburger. The key to tasting good is a little liquid like BBQ sauce, salsa, broth.

Chicken Fajita:

2 raw chicken tenders or chicken breast cut (1/4 to 1/2 lb.)

1 cup frozen pepper & onion mix (could do fresh but this is less CC potential)

1/2 cup quick/minute brown rice

3-4 tbsp salsa

Stir Fry:

Same as above but use stir fry frozen vegs and gluten-free (LaChoy) Soy sauce & chicken broth or water for 4 tablespoons

And of course the classic foil dinner:

1/4-1/2 lbs hamburger patty

1 cup froz or fresh veggies

1 cup thin sliced or small square cut potatoes

1/4 -1/2 cup gluten-free BBQ sauce, broth or salsa

Cook these foil packets on top of the coals for 20-30 minutes. Don't even need plates!

Have also known people who do these in the home oven or grill.

missy'smom Collaborator

Well, when the power was out last one winter due to an ice storm, we made meals on our one burner stove. Made steamed rice first in one pot. When that was done, set it aside with the lid on and it kept warm. Then sauteed slice franks in another pan. You can add a splash of BBQ sauce or catsup at the end to just barely coat. Can add veggies to the rice and let them steam together. Heated canned soup up for some meals. Add some fruit and a shelf stable carb. and you have a meal.

grechn Newbie

Are you real camping or do you have access to fridge or electricity?

nO FRIDGE or electricity, just a camp stove and coolers, 4 nights 5 days!

Thanks,

Gretchen

luvs2eat Collaborator

Gluten free chili served INSIDE small bags of Fritos is a camp hit!

Mizzo Enthusiast

nO FRIDGE or electricity, just a camp stove and coolers, 4 nights 5 days!

hanks,

Gretchen

I just got back from a 5 day campout but I had access to electricity so it was easier.

Day 1 you seem ok for , Day 2 can be sandwiches you premade or PBJ on Udi's bread there for lunch.

Udi's bread stayed good for us in the cooler for our 5 days. so you could do sandwiches many of the days.

Canned tuna, chicken, salmon, crab, whatever can be added to a pasta or rice with a bag of mixed veggies for anytime meal.

Canned gluten-free soups with crackers or corn chips is good

Makes sure you preslice and premarinate all/any meat you bring, cause it just makes it easier. remember Ice only lasts 1 or 2 days in coolers.

However I have heard adding rock salt to the iced coolers will superfreeze your foods for a few days. Try it out before hand just to be sure.

The boxed shelf milk (Parmalat etc..) worked great for us, no worries about spoilage.

Have fun

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TrickyMama Apprentice

Lunches are hard because I tend to think of sandwiches and tapioca bread is crumbly. I bring a bag of frozen peeled shrimp and a jar of Trader Joe's cocktail sauce. We also buy Bison hot dogs that are the best hot dogs I've ever had and we eat them bunless. I also make "lunchmeat roll-ups" by rolling up a slice of gluten-free cheese in a slice of gluten-free chicken or turkey. If you have a toAster oven or microwave, you can bring Ian's corn dogs, chicken nuggets or French bread pizza, all gluten-free. If you only have a camp stove and no electricity, how about naked burritos? Rice, beans, tomato, avocado. Speaking of which, you can also do tortilla chips and guacamole and/or hummus with carrot sticks or gluten-free crackers. I hope that helps. We camp a lot so I'll be checking back for more ideas from you all. Happy camping!

hez Enthusiast

We do foil packets over the fire with beans, cut up hot dogs, and whatever suits your fancy:) We have added green peppers, onions, chesse, pineapple (sounds gross but it is really good), and mustard. Then we "sculpt" our foil packets (this year Hershey kiss) and place on the grate over the fire for about 20 minutes. Very easy clean up! Have fun.

Hez

PS- for lunch I love hummus, vegies and crackers:)

my3monkees Rookie

We do alot of our cooking over the fire. I have taken stew meat and a bunch of vegetables. Thru them all together in a large pot and cooked them over the fire. Used mountain pie makers and made pizza pies using gluten free bread. I second making meal packets and cooking them over the fire. We usually just eat a big breakfast, then just nibble for lunch and make a big dinner. I have even done gluten free pancakes over the fire. If I think of more I will add them. Have fun camping!!

tarnalberry Community Regular

For what it's worth, when I backpack, I often make regular meals (like chili or soup) and dehydrate them. Only needs water to reheat.

Darissa Contributor

Canned Hormel Beef Stew is Gluten Free - it says on the back of the label (watch out for store brands...I have not found one that is gluten-free)

Udi's Bread makes good sandwiches...or ham and cheese roll ups. We use Hormel Naturals turkey or ham or RB that we buy at Walmart...only 2.50 an 8 oz pkg

Tin Foil Dinners

gluten-free Box Mrs. Leepers "hamburger helpers" they have them where you add hamburger or tuna...we like canned chicken (hormel canned chk or kirkland canned chk is gluten free) instead of tuna in our tuna helpers by Mrs. Leepers. They are very good.

General Mills "hamburger helper" has come out new with their Asian Helpers that are gluten-free...just add a can of chicken or hamburger.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

Darissa

Archived