36 replies to this topic

#1 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:13 AM

okay, I recently posted a thread that I've been sick for a couple of weeks and can't figure out why. I just happened to think of my shampoo when I was showering and sure enough both had hydrolyzed wheat protein in them. They are fairly new bottles but I can't remember when I switched from Panteen to them? I have always been part of the camp that has believed that as long as you don't swallow it then its okay. So now I am back to Pantene to see if it will help because I'm willing to try anything to be back to my old self again. I have been itchy at the base of my neck but no breakouts.
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Negative blood work/positive endoscopy
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:17 AM

Interesting. I was just going to post a question about if products with gluten are only harmful if swallowed. Good to know...sorry you are having a problem though.

#3 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

okay, I recently posted a thread that I've been sick for a couple of weeks and can't figure out why. I just happened to think of my shampoo when I was showering and sure enough both had hydrolyzed wheat protein in them. They are fairly new bottles but I can't remember when I switched from Panteen to them? I have always been part of the camp that has believed that as long as you don't swallow it then its okay. So now I am back to Pantene to see if it will help because I'm willing to try anything to be back to my old self again. I have been itchy at the base of my neck but no breakouts.

Wheat is only harmful if swallowed and that's medical fact. So, you are either ingesting shampoo while you shower and you are sensitive/allergic to another ingredient in the product. If this is a topical reaction, you may have a wheat allergy on top of Celiac or an allergy to another ingredient. Celiacs have a tendency to have other allergy's/intolerance's also, as evidenced by many on this board. It can become very tricky to figure it all out. It may not be a wheat problem at all.

#4 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:23 PM

Wheat is only harmful if swallowed and that's medical fact. So, you are either ingesting shampoo while you shower and you are sensitive/allergic to another ingredient in the product. If this is a topical reaction, you may have a wheat allergy on top of Celiac or an allergy to another ingredient. Celiacs have a tendency to have other allergy's/intolerance's also, as evidenced by many on this board. It can become very tricky to figure it all out. It may not be a wheat problem at all.

Yes, this is what I always believed to be true, just getting desperate I guess. I am feeling better today, so maybe whatever it is may be finally working its way out of my system.
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:03 PM

Many of us avoid gluten ingredients in shampoos, lotions, makeup etc. Anything you put on your body has the capacity to get into your mouth or contact mucous membranes. While gluten is not absorbed through intact skin it can also enter the bloodsteam through broken skin. Some of us do have an allergy as well as an intolerance which would lead to itching and rashes that are different from DH. You are wise in my opinion to avoid gluten in your topicals since you are still having issues. Some of us can use them with no problem but there are lots of us here who do avoid gluten in topicals.
There are companies that will label well for gluten ingredients and you can find cosmetics and shampoos etc that are labeled gluten free. Dove, Suave and Garneir are good companies for labeling. For organics Giovanni was one of my favs until I developed a soy allergy, Shikai has a couple products, Burts Bees has good labeling policies and I recently came across a company called Himalaya Organique that has a wonderful conditioner that is labeled gluten free and I will be trying their shampoo as soon as I run out of Shikai. Always read the ingredients as some companies have some products that are safe and some that are not.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:17 PM

You have long hair and I 100% guarantee that shampoo and conditioner are getting into your mouth. You would have to hold your head back and then rinse like crazy to get all the gluten out of your hair. Then wash all the gluten off your hands before you eat or touch your mouth. Shampoo runs down your face and it gets onto your lips.

I do not use any beauty products with gluten because I know at some point it will be on my hands and end up in my mouth when I grab food, or touch my straw or rub my face or whatever.

Matrix and Enjoy have some great products that don't have gluten. They don't label gluten free because of liability issues and morons who would sue over stupid stuff like that, but you can look at the ingredients.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#7 naiiad

naiiad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:05 PM

I can't use any shampoo or condition with wheat in it, because my scalp gets red and inflamed and itchy and my hair falls out. Never experienced any intestinal problems from shampoo though (that I know of).

I would switch to a wheat-free shampoo and conditioner to be safe. I make my own using pure glycerine and olive oil for condition. There are quite a few brands online that also sell wheat-free cosmetic products. Good luck!

#8 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:44 PM

My hair gets into my mouth when I'm sleeping too, or when it's wet it whips across my face.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#9 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:40 AM

I continue to be mystified by this fantasy that one can put wheat filled hair conditioner on one's hair, which is designed to leave a persistent oil based residue, even when rinsed, use a towel on the hair to blot dry it, then rub the towel all over the body and not be coating one's self with gluten. Then touch any food products afterwards, and spread it further, every time you use that towel. The same with moisturizer lotion, which I can prove has gotten me from second hand cross contamination, when my spouse used it, and then bare handed food and ice cubes while preparing a meal.

Fortunately I have a pretty good sense of smell. If I can smell it on you, you're contaminated with it. I don't see very many people who don't touch their hair constantly without realizing it, even when doing things in the kitchen. Or at the keyboard. The steering wheel. Door handles. Say my spouse blobs suntan lotion on himself and then drives my car. It had better be safe lotion, because it's now on the steering wheel.

Cosmetics are also putting a lot of oats (sativa) in their stuff, and of course the oats are cross contaminated, also.

You are, of course, free to use whatever sort of goo you wish on yourself. Good luck pretending none of it ever ends up in your mouth.

#10 mommyto3

mommyto3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:21 AM

Are there any mainstream shampoos and cosmetics that are gluten free? I know about Sauve but that's about it. I use Elizabeth Arden cosmetics and love them but no idea if they have gluten.

#11 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:48 AM

[quote name='sandsurfgirl' date='16 August 2010 - 09:17 PM' timestamp='1282015028' post='632261']
You have long hair and I 100% guarantee that shampoo and conditioner are getting into your mouth. You would have to hold your head back and then rinse like crazy to get all the gluten out of your hair. Then wash all the gluten off your hands before you eat or touch your mouth. Shampoo runs down your face and it gets onto your lips.

Lol...need to update my avatar, I got a little crazy last month and chopped it all of to just below my ears! You are right though I paid attention when I last showered and its hard to keep it out of my face and yes it pooled around my lips. If I need to stay away from tiny crumbs then it makes sense to use wheat free toiletries that could accidentally end up in my mouth.
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

#12 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:57 AM

[quote name='Takala' date='17 August 2010 - 08:40 AM' timestamp='1282048811' post='632319']

[quote]I continue to be mystified by this fantasy that one can put wheat filled hair conditioner on one's hair, which is designed to leave a persistent oil based residue, even when rinsed, use a towel on the hair to blot dry it, then rub the towel all over the body and not be coating one's self with gluten. Then touch any food products afterwards, and spread it further, every time you use that towel. The same with moisturizer lotion, which I can prove has gotten me from second hand cross contamination, when my spouse used it, and then bare handed food and ice cubes while preparing a meal. [/quote]

I continue to be mystified by people who reject how Celiac Disease actually works and continue their fantasy that everyone who comes into contact with gluten topically thinks they are being slowly killed by gluten. If you learn how the disease actually works and how not to CC yourself, you should not have a problem.

I am lucky in that I am extremely serio-positive so can actually see if I am ingesting gluten on a regular basis. My latest blood work came back with the lowest antibody levels my doctor had yet seen in a patient. So I know that I am doing things the right way because I took the time to learn. I have also learned that if you use good quality shampoo (that can mean expensive) it almost never contains anything with wheat/gluten because they are considered cheap fillers.
The only topical products that anyone needs to be wary of are lipstick and hand lotion. Body lotion can be washed off the hands after applying and unless you are licking your skin on a regular basis like a cat, it shouldn't be a problem.

[quote]Fortunately I have a pretty good sense of smell. If I can smell it on you, you're contaminated with it. I don't see very many people who don't touch their hair constantly without realizing it, even when doing things in the kitchen. Or at the keyboard. The steering wheel. Door handles. Say my spouse blobs suntan lotion on himself and then drives my car. It had better be safe lotion, because it's now on the steering wheel. [/quote]

I find it pretty gross that someone would lather up with suntan lotion and then not wash their hands.....even if they did not have celiac disease. Leaving a slimy residue on my steering wheel or door knobs for that matter would not happen a second time but it has little to do with gluten. The thought of touching a door knob and then putting my hands in my mouth just would not happen but I'm more concerned with dirty hands and bacteria than anything else. I think if you read most reputable articles on Celiac Disease, unless you put that doorknob directly in your mouth after someone has touched it after ingesting a sandwich, you won't become glutened. I think Dr. Green even touched on this issue by saying people should not be making this diet any more difficult than it already is for some and not to
become paranoid about it. I think some of people's thoughts on how they may become sick are unfounded and create a lot of fear where there doesn't need to be any. Education is paramount to success with living gluten free.

[quote]Cosmetics are also putting a lot of oats (sativa) in their stuff, and of course the oats are cross contaminated, also.

You are, of course, free to use whatever sort of goo you wish on yourself. Good luck pretending none of it ever ends up in your mouth.[/quote]

I don't eat my make-up so it's a non-issue. You are also free to make your life as difficult as possible but you shouldn't criticize those who have it figured out and are doing exceptionally well on the diet. Anyone can learn to live gluten-free successfully without living in fear of shampoo and conditioner. If I were eating my products over the last 5 years, I wouldn't have the bloodwork I do and I wouldn't be as well as I am.

#13 bincongo

bincongo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:39 AM

I know I am new to this but I think people sometimes react stronger than others to gluten so it is an individual thing. I know though because I don't like having to wash my hands everytime I put something on my face that I am going to change companies for makeup. A company called Beauty Control that sells on line has makeup and cleansers labeled gluten free. I haven't looked for shampoo yet with this company.
Dx Celiac July 2010 by Endoscopy biopsy- had Endoscopy for another reason, not for possible Celiac
Lactose intolerant discovered August 2010
Hypothyroid Dx 2009. Sleep Apnea 2005

#14 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:11 PM

The National Institute of health has this on their info page about celiac disease. The statement that I have bolded is what I consider most pertinent to this discussion. People are free to choose to be as strict as they like and should not be put down for it. Some of us are more sensitive than others and clearly react to gluten in topicals. They should not be ridiculed for it.

http://digestive.nid...ac_ez/index.htm

Points to Remember
People with celiac disease can’t eat foods or use items with gluten in them.
Celiac disease harms the small intestine.
People with untreated celiac disease can't get needed nutrients.
Without treatment, people with celiac disease can develop other health problems.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#15 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:47 PM

I find it pretty gross that someone would lather up with suntan lotion and then not wash their hands.....even if they did not have celiac disease. Leaving a slimy residue on my steering wheel or door knobs for that matter would not happen a second time but it has little to do with gluten. The thought of touching a door knob and then putting my hands in my mouth just would not happen but I'm more concerned with dirty hands and bacteria than anything else. I think if you read most reputable articles on Celiac Disease, unless you put that doorknob directly in your mouth after someone has touched it after ingesting a sandwich, you won't become glutened. I think Dr. Green even touched on this issue by saying people should not be making this diet any more difficult than it already is for some and not to
become paranoid about it. I think some of people's thoughts on how they may become sick are unfounded and create a lot of fear where there doesn't need to be any. Education is paramount to success with living gluten free.

I don't eat my make-up so it's a non-issue. You are also free to make your life as difficult as possible but you shouldn't criticize those who have it figured out and are doing exceptionally well on the diet. Anyone can learn to live gluten-free successfully without living in fear of shampoo and conditioner. If I were eating my products over the last 5 years, I wouldn't have the bloodwork I do and I wouldn't be as well as I am.

It's a good idea not to give people bad advice that will result in their getting cross contaminated.

Repeat: Oil residue is extremely hard to remove from most surfaces without a thorough washing. Hair conditioner does NOT wash out. Suntan lotions are designed to stay on with water exposure, and sweating, for several hours. Apply suntan lotion, wash your hands, and then lick them, if you dare, and tell us you can't taste it. If you use a gluten filled product, you're literally wearing wheat. And your scalp and skin dander gets everywhere, because humans SHED this constantly. Besides shedding their hair. Yes, you are smearing this stuff on your pillowcases and breathing it in, too. Do your lips ever touch the pillowcase when you sleep ?

Amusing that in the "Restaurants and Dining" section there are many, many descriptions of people who got cross contaminated at otherwise supposedly "safe" chain restaurants when ordering what was supposed to be "gluten free" foods. They observed that the food preparers, in spite of wearing plastic gloves, were constantly touching gluten filled breads or tortilla wraps, and then the supposedly gluten free foods, and using the same spoon on both, or using the same gloved hand to grab handfulls of lettuce, cheese, and then touching regular buns, etc.
Nobody questions that they have gotten legitimately sick, just from having a spoon or tongs used from one pot of gluten free food to having had it wiped across a slice of bread. Or having a plastic glove touch both bread and lettuce. It doesn't take VISIBLE amounts of gluten streaks to cross contaminate anyone. Yet should they be thought of as making it up ? People never touch their hair ? Ridiculous.

I'm assuming you're never done restaurant cooking, nor worked in any sort of health care facility or had any sort of serious hand washing training. Once you have, you easily see the different ways restaurant attendants and food prep cooks can mess this up. You see it when you order a gluten free meal in a restaurant with a gluten free menu with a waitperson you thought was pretty understanding, and then they come back to the table with your salad,....... and a plate of bread. Which they attempt to plunk down in front of you. Before they get The Look :ph34r: The bread has a little bowl of butter with it. Where has the knife, that is now stuck in the bread you told them you couldn't eat and didn't want, been ? What scooped the butter ?

Avoiding daily applications of gluten containing topical products is really quite simple: don't buy and use them. Use one of the many fine products that don't have gluten in them. Then you don't have to worry about whether they're "getting" you. Especially if you have a good thick head of hair now after it grows back in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: